Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 09 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

Man, there's a lot of dip in this game. Most everyone is so active. And I'm Sweden! With one stinkin' army. What's it like for Russia or the US?

Since this is my first game of NWO, there are no comfortable patterns to fall into; nearly everything is novel. I had to be reminded that you can't go directly from Norway to Sweden (STK) by fleet! New powers, new rules, new geography, but still familiar. I took a break, and this is my first game of Dip in three years and I've got to say it's been pretty awesome thus far.
Administrator

Post 09 Feb 2014, 1:48 pm

Even if this were not your first game, I'm not so sure we have many comfortable patterns that can be fallen into. With Pirates a redrawn map and different powers, things will be different.

I can think of some things that will no doubt fit into a pattern, but very few.
One thing to remember, do not forget the political aspect of the game. Early on it's more military but later it's more politics...don't ignore it!

and while you have a small power, and while you could possibly be wiped out very early, you likely have more to offer others than you might think, this game can reward tight alliances, but then again, no doubt some will be telling a great many how "tight" things are and in the end, only a trio of 3 will prevail.
Dignitary

Post 11 Feb 2014, 12:09 pm

and another thing.

Don't believe a thing Tom tells ya :-)
Administrator

Post 11 Feb 2014, 8:45 pm

Nahhhh, right NOW you can trust me
a few turns from now...things might be different then!
Dignitary

Post 18 Feb 2014, 11:30 am

Well as the USA I have already had over 300 messages and responded to most of them. You have to be very on top of things when you are a large power.
Emissary

Post 18 Feb 2014, 12:32 pm

Which is precisely why I specifically requested not to be a large power.

That said, I've also had to reply to a huge volume of mail, so my cunning plan hasn't been wholly successful...
Dignitary

Post 18 Feb 2014, 1:09 pm

Sassenach wrote:That said, I've also had to reply to a huge volume of mail, so my cunning plan hasn't been wholly successful...

What is up with that? I've gotten so many messages that when I don't get any I'm thinking that everyone is talking behind my back. The dynamics are so different with 40 players.

Does the volume get any easier as the game goes on? I'm guessing not because while we'll have fewer players in 1906, there will be a lot of political infighting for votes.
Administrator

Post 18 Feb 2014, 1:27 pm

what I have found is the messages tend to decrease a bit over time, you may write more to those who are real allies but the half truths or the messages to those who lied to you diminish a great deal. Then as we get towards voting season, then the messages pick back up again and can pick up an awful lot!

and George, you THINK people are talking behind your back?
...rest assured we ARE talking behind your back!
Adjutant

Post 18 Feb 2014, 2:05 pm

Question:

Am I allowed to sue Dave for creating this game if I get carpal tunnel from typing so many messages? :grin:
Dignitary

Post 18 Feb 2014, 3:17 pm

GMTom wrote:and George, you THINK people are talking behind your back?
...rest assured we ARE talking behind your back!

Well, I hope they're things like "solid player," "good chap," "upfront and honest," and not "A&*##^e" "Dip&%##" and "S*%&##"

And I think Tom is on the liability hook for all this dip. As I understand it, Dave has done some refinements, but Tom did the base game with some other guy who I hear was institutionalized when he tried to adjudicate by hand. Oh, hell, just sue 'em all for your carpal tunnel.
Dignitary

Post 19 Feb 2014, 8:57 pm

drano019 wrote:Question:

Am I allowed to sue Dave for creating this game if I get carpal tunnel from typing so many messages? :grin:

Heh, yeah, I'm gonna direct you back to Tom on this one.

I've played as 3 of the 5 A/B powers and a couple times as smaller powers. All I have to say is that it's kinda nice being the GM, much less work to do!
Dignitary

Post 26 Mar 2014, 11:31 am

geojanes wrote:Man, there's a lot of dip in this game. Most everyone is so active. And I'm Sweden! With one stinkin' army. What's it like for Russia or the US?

Since this is my first game of NWO, there are no comfortable patterns to fall into; nearly everything is novel. I had to be reminded that you can't go directly from Norway to Sweden (STK) by fleet! New powers, new rules, new geography, but still familiar. I took a break, and this is my first game of Dip in three years and I've got to say it's been pretty awesome thus far.

Continued impressions: This variant takes a good game (Diplomacy) and evolves it for digital communication (i.e. you can't have 40 players in a room playing FTF) and then adds layers of complexity: the universe of things you've got to think about, worry about, is giant. Not only increased number of powers and dip, but Wings, Nukes, Banked builds, and the way that makes your dip more complex, more units, new geography, and geopolitics, and I haven't even had to think about the pirates up here in the north. I think by any objective measure, NWO a far better game than standard Diplomacy, if you have a GM willing to put themselves through the pain of adjudication.

Tom and other co-designers/contributors should be proud.
Emissary

Post 26 Mar 2014, 12:56 pm

I quite agree. It really forces you to have all kinds of ongoing conversations with multiple players too. So far I've been pretty successful, but I've had to work damn hard for it, talking constantly with any number of different players and seeking out intel wherever I can find it. In standard Dip the chat tends to die down rapidly after 2 or 3 years. This game really favours players who are willing to put in the hard yards diplomatically, which isn't always the case in other variants.
Dignitary

Post 26 Mar 2014, 4:16 pm

geojanes wrote:if you have a GM willing to put themselves through the pain of adjudication

Cuz THAT's not a loaded statement... :laugh:

Seriously though, if anyone was ever interested in giving it a shot, let me know. The actual time for an adjudication isn't horrible. It takes me about two hours for a spring and two and a half hours for a fall season (due to having to count up SCs, votes, etc., and usually double counting).

The main issue with having to GM this puppy is the hassle of fitting it into your schedule. Unlike the standard game which you can do whenever you have half an hour, this one requires some undivided attention at a regular time during your week for several months.

That said, it's almost as much fun to GM as to play (almost...). You get to see everything from a bird's eye view.
Ambassador

Post 27 Mar 2014, 10:27 am

I actually wouldn't mind giving it a try (GMing that is) some time if you're looking to play, Dave.