Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 12 Jun 2014, 6:41 pm

Well, I have only played, at most, about a dozen or so games, on Redscape and in person so my fellow players will excuse (or perhaps welcome?) my lack of experience. Definitely a slew of mistakes led to our downfall (when I say "our" I mean the grand, anti-Russian alliance of the last couple of years of the game). I have not been keeping count actually and I wish I had.

My first mistake was not having a clear policy toward which one of my neighbors was I going to "throw in with" from the beginning. In the first few years I tried to be as non-committal as possible and not p*** anybody off that might be able to instantly stomp on me. I can see why Germany has been in two world wars and so many other historical skirmishes: she's right in the middle of the board with easy access by any of the other great powers. Naturally any German leader, myself included, is going to be paranoid as hell about the intentions of every single one of his neighbors.

Except, perhaps, Austria-Hungary. I sat back and watched as the Dual Monarchy was destroyed by the Slavo-Turkic horde of Asia (i.e., the Russo-Turkish Juggernaut). I think I suggested the theory of such a Russian strategy to someone at the beginning of the game, but only that that was my ultimate paranoia; it succeeded in becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. And the absolute quick and easy decimation and occupation of the Hapsburg dominions was the first nail in Germany's coffin (not to mention everybody else's). Note to self in case I'm ever the Reich again: never, ever, ever allow Austria to be destroyed by Russia and/or Turkey--unless Germany's going to do it herself.

I became incredibly paranoid about Gareth [France] going right through the Ruhr and into Kiel or Munich. The Rumor Mill led me to believe that France was going to attack me, so I threatened a Russian alliance if he did. Yet simultaneously, I was terrified of Russia. I even dithered in response to England's request for help in Scandinavia for fear of the Russians sweeping right into Berlin, or seizing Denmark (which eventually of course he did) and then Kiel (or maybe Berlin too for **** and giggles). So Dave and Gareth you are both superb players, and were very good in fueling my fears of a Franco-Russian alliance (I mean, heck, didn't that actually happen in WWI?)

It became evident who was really the one to fear, but it became so only too late. Again Dave, my compliments.

Yet, my biggest mistake was communicating too little, too late. Like writing a 10 page paper in college, I always waited until the last minute to do it. And by then, I would assume other people were doing talking of their own already. The early bird gets the worm. Likewise, in Diplomacy, I have noticed that the first one to talk convincingly to another player gets the "friend and ally" status (however temporarily it may last).

I do not remember what I can add blow by blow but I did keep a folder in my Google Mail strictly for Diplomacy communications. At any rate I think I've made enough descriptions so far of why I lost.

I look forward to playing with you all again. I once played France at Mike's house in northern Virginia and got up to about 6 or 7 centers as France before Germany attacked me and I had to leave for work. This time I got up to 5 centers, almost 6 I think. That's pretty good for me! Especially for hanging on to my own territory for so long (even if other players manage to get a nibble of some of it at times). Well, there's no teacher quite like experience. Hope I have covered everything relevant; so I'll just say: Thanks for a fun game guys, hope to see you all again soon!

--Colin [Germany]
Adjutant

Post 13 Jun 2014, 6:18 am

By the way, I didn't adequately say, congratulations on a game well-played David!

Though, thank God we're not both members of Congress. I'd be scared.

No, just kidding. Well....almost :cool:
Adjutant

Post 15 Jun 2014, 10:41 am

Hmm, we still have not yet heard an EOG from France, Turkey, Austria-Hungary and England.

Might have said this before, speaking of which, but why was Allan Calhamer P.C. enough to call the Dual Monarchy "Austria-Hungary" (its official appendation), yet was un-P.C. enough to call the United Kingdom of Great Britain and [Northern] Ireland just "England". Wonder how that plays with the Scots if they ever play this game. :grin: