Not too proud of that performance. I was not active enough diplomatically pre-Spring 1901 and I essentially just tried to put together an IA. But did not put that much effort into it. Crucially, I made a pitch for a strong IA alliance but Austria did not reply. Apparently, the email from me never got to Austria (I can't be sure what happened but that is what he claimed) . The result was that Austria apparently thought I was going to attack him and went into a hedgehog defense (which I find to be an almost suicidal opening for Austria, but hey if Turkey is willing to spare you it works great and it definitely is effective in stopping Italy's attack in its tracks). And I, not hearing anything from Austria about my proposal, decided to get into position to attack him

So I'm in Tyrolia but no effective attack because Austria Fleet Adriatic bounced me from going to Venice I should have tried to work with Russia but didn't. And I thought that Turkey would just take the easy route and carve Austria up, which would not have been in my best interests, so I tried to make peace with Austria. And I did withdraw.

And then Turkey and Austria made a deal. I was completely flabbergasted. Turkey has Bulgaria and Greece unopposed and gives it up! (Austria opened Fleet Adriatic-Venice, Army Vienna-Galicia and Army Budapest-Rumania) Well, to be fair, I guess that Austria could have bounced him in Bulgaria.It just goes to show that diplomacy can trump just about anything in the game. Russia and I were not active diplomatically and Austria and Turkey were. And, as Turkey points out, a AT is pretty good for Turkey. I think I pointed out the disadvantages of an AT to Austria but to no avail. I did talk to Turkey a bit, but I don't think either of us seriously believed an IT could work. I guess Turkey's willingness to give up Greece and work with Austria is understandable; it just caught me by surprise. I kind of just assumed they had this deal going the whole game and I thought wow they sure surprised Russian and myself.

After that, Russia and I were out-numbered, so there wasn't a heck of a lot I could do. But Austria never gave me any of Turkey's moves. If I outguessed him it was luck and maybe just my indifference. Normally, I would be sweating out how to outguess Turkey--here I didn't care. So of course it worked...I gather Turkey was not too happy about it.

I should have played better, but the tournament needed spots so I volunteered to play but did not come into the game with a lot of energy, let's say. I have lost the enthusiam for playing diplomacy recently, actually the last diplomacy games I liked were the ones in the gunboat tournament. unfortunately, that was kind of how I played this game--my bad.

I was happy to see Rob go for the win (or at least better position) and stab France. At least there was some excitement there. These 2x2 alliances games--how boring.

Congrats to the winners.