Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 20 Sep 2013, 1:03 pm

I use the default maps in Realpolitick and when I try to post them, they are too big, and I've either got to resize them or crop them, neither of which is a great solution. It will do, if it has to, but I was wondering what other GMs are doing? Are you going to be custom-making your maps each season? Do you have a special Realpolitck build that allows you a better map? Or am I missing a Real Politck function?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Sep 2013, 1:30 pm

I'm just resizing them. Perhaps Brad or Neal can set the parameters for images a little bit bigger to conform to the standard map size?
Dignitary

Post 20 Sep 2013, 2:49 pm

SLOTerp wrote:I'm just resizing them. Perhaps Brad or Neal can set the parameters for images a little bit bigger to conform to the standard map size?

That would make a lot of sense.
Ambassador

Post 21 Sep 2013, 5:28 pm

When you save them from RP they are saved as .bmp files which tend to be large. I use a separate program (paint.net in my case) to open it and save it as a .png file which is a much more compressed file type. I believe Paint can also do this if you haven't installed anything else.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 21 Sep 2013, 8:38 pm

I usually turn them into .jpg files and then put them on a web server to be linked. But you can't link pictures here larger than 600 pixels in height or length so I have to shrink them. I don't think the file size matters since I'm just pulling in the image from elsewhere.

My question was if Redscape setting could accommodate larger images. I'll email Brad and ask.
Ambassador

Post 23 Sep 2013, 6:29 am

SLOTerp wrote:I usually turn them into .jpg files and then put them on a web server to be linked. But you can't link pictures here larger than 600 pixels in height or length so I have to shrink them. I don't think the file size matters since I'm just pulling in the image from elsewhere.

My question was if Redscape setting could accommodate larger images. I'll email Brad and ask.

This is what I used to do. When I posted images for my game (One Step Over the Line) I didn't have to reduce the height or length. I just re-saved the image as a .png and posted it without issues.
Dignitary

Post 23 Sep 2013, 7:02 am

Sendric wrote:
SLOTerp wrote:I usually turn them into .jpg files and then put them on a web server to be linked. But you can't link pictures here larger than 600 pixels in height or length so I have to shrink them. I don't think the file size matters since I'm just pulling in the image from elsewhere.

This is what I used to do. When I posted images for my game (One Step Over the Line) I didn't have to reduce the height or length. I just re-saved the image as a .png and posted it without issues.

Oh, that would make it a lot easier. I'll give it a try. Still not a beautiful map, but at least it gets the job done.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 24 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm

Not map related but inquiring minds...

David (SuperAnt), how do you create email addresses that also link to a message? It's pretty cool. Is it safe from bots? My understanding is that they've gotten pretty sophisticated and pick up on the easy stuff (the reason I haven't posted addresses in my forum). I swear I've gotten more spam since the RG board assignments were posted. Not blaming you, Randy!

Anyway, if I'm required to post the addresses, I will, but I'd like to know we're adequately protecting them from harvesting.
Dignitary

Post 24 Sep 2013, 11:31 pm

Sendric wrote:

I tried this, and while PNG does produce a much better image than a JPG, it still needed to be resized so as not to exceed 600 pixels width. I think this is a recent limitation on this system. Terp, let us know if you get feedback from Brad.
Dignitary

Post 24 Sep 2013, 11:36 pm

SLOTerp wrote:I swear I've gotten more spam since the RG board assignments were posted. Not blaming you, Randy!

Anyway, if I'm required to post the addresses, I will, but I'd like to know we're adequately protecting them from harvesting.

Me too! I did not post emails on my forum for just this reason. Spam harvesters are out there and they're just getting more sophisticated. We all need to treat them carefully!
Ambassador

Post 25 Sep 2013, 6:01 am

geojanes wrote:I tried this, and while PNG does produce a much better image than a JPG, it still needed to be resized so as not to exceed 600 pixels width. I think this is a recent limitation on this system. Terp, let us know if you get feedback from Brad.

That's very strange. I posted two maps on the 13th that were greater than 600 pixels in width without problems. I'll be posting spring '01 tomorrow. I'll let you know what happens.
Ambassador

Post 25 Sep 2013, 6:52 am

How are people posting pictures?

I use the attachment panel, and have no problems. I have found it tougher using the img tags.
Dignitary

Post 25 Sep 2013, 7:11 am

danivon wrote:How are people posting pictures?

I use the attachment panel, and have no problems. I have found it tougher using the img tags.

Ah, I use the img tags. Perhaps that's it?

I just looked at it, and I'm guessing that will be the solution that I'm looking for. Thanks Dan. I never even noticed the ability to upload, and always just used the img tags, but then again this is the first game I've GM'ed in six years. That seems like progress!
Administrator

Post 25 Sep 2013, 12:02 pm

I just changed the setting to 1024 pixel width. Does that help?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 25 Sep 2013, 1:34 pm

Attachment test (800 pixels wide).
Sp01f.jpg