Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 20 Aug 2022, 12:12 pm

https://www.thecollegefix.com/berkeley-co-op-person-of-color-theme-house-bans-white-guests-from-common-spaces/

Freeman,
I needed to check with you concerning California Landlord-Tenant law. I read this article and was wondering if California has the same laws concerning race restrictions of tenants. This article is stating that there are some who are not allowed in the common areas.

Is this standard practice when it comes to California and the law? Since I have a background in HUD requirements and Washington State Landlord-Tenant law, I wanted to verify with someone in CA who has a background in Law. Hence, you...

Is it fair?
Is it legal?

I know that it is not affiliated with Berkeley, and thus must follow CA state law.
Adjutant

Post 20 Aug 2022, 3:28 pm

Unruh Act prohibits discrimination in public accommodations (including housing rentals).

https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/civil-code ... ct-51.html
Administrator

Post 20 Aug 2022, 4:48 pm

That's what I thought. Any idea as to why this is being tolerated?
Adjutant

Post 20 Aug 2022, 6:14 pm

I don't know. Haven't researched the issue but a co-op may not be considered a "business establishment" and Unruh protects against discrimination by a business (Unruh protects against discrimination by "business establishments of every kind whatsoever.") A housing rental is considered to fall under Unruh but a co-op may not be.
Adjutant

Post 20 Aug 2022, 6:22 pm

I saw under DFEH (department fair employment housing)hand-out that "shared economy housing" is covered under Unruh and that sounds like a co-op to me.