Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 08 Jun 2022, 4:52 pm

https://news.yahoo.com/republicans-pointing-fingers-chuck-schumers-180520788.html

I was glad to see AG Garland stand against such negative speech that emboldens crazy responses. Just like the VP and the AG under Trump disavowing Trumps words that may have led to the Jan 6 protests.

Can we just stop being so divisive?

We should not threaten the President, Lawmakers, SC Justices. Elections have consequences. Live with the consequences, and then try to LEGALLY change them.

Enough is Enough...
Dignitary

Post 08 Jun 2022, 6:56 pm

"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh: you have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price," Schumer said at the rally. "You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions."

Schumer apologized for the comments in a floor speech the following day.

"I should not have used the words I used yesterday. They didn't come out the way I intended to. My point was that there would be political consequences — political consequences — for President Trump and Senate Republicans if the Supreme Court, with the newly confirmed Justices, stripped away a woman's right to choose," he said. "I shouldn't have used the words I did, but in no way was I making a threat."

This is not a story. Stop. People are trying to manufacture scandals that don't exist. Don't be their puppet for goodness sake.
Ambassador

Post 09 Jun 2022, 12:27 am

Political decisions also have consequences.

Opposition, protest, and even pointed words are legal means to try and change political decisions.

Last I checked, they were still protected by the First Amendment over there.
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2022, 5:15 am

As far as I remember, Pres. Trump did nor partake in the Jan. 6th protests. The words he used (protected by the 1st Amendment) inflamed people and he has been castigated in the media, and excoriated on Redscape.

What is the difference in Sen. Schumer's words and Pres. Trump's? My point is that BOTH sides are speaking over the top rhetoric. Even Pres. Biden says if "Roe v Wade is overturned, there will be a mini-revolution". Yes, elections have consequences, and those consequences should not include the stoking of people who are unhinged to begin with.

OR

Both sides should just accept that the people are responsible for their actions and punish them accordingly for the laws that they violate.
Ambassador

Post 09 Jun 2022, 6:02 am

geojanes wrote:
"I want to tell you, Gorsuch, I want to tell you, Kavanaugh: you have released the whirlwind, and you will pay the price," Schumer said at the rally. "You won't know what hit you if you go forward with these awful decisions."

"I should not have used the words I used yesterday. They didn't come out the way I intended to. My point was that there would be political consequences — political consequences — for President Trump and Senate Republicans if the Supreme Court, with the newly confirmed Justices, stripped away a woman's right to choose," he said. "I shouldn't have used the words I did, but in no way was I making a threat."

This is not a story. Stop. People are trying to manufacture scandals that don't exist. Don't be their puppet for goodness sake.

Why isn't it a story when the Senate Majority Leader threatens ("you will pay the price") particular Supreme Court Justices? What price can a Supreme Court Justice pay when they have a lifetime appointment? (Not quite a scandal, but a factoid that should be published.)
Dignitary

Post 09 Jun 2022, 7:04 am

Ray Jay wrote:
geojanes wrote:

Why isn't it a story when the Senate Majority Leader threatens ("you will pay the price") particular Supreme Court Justices? What price can a Supreme Court Justice pay when they have a lifetime appointment? (Not quite a scandal, but a factoid that should be published.)

He misspoke and apologized.
Statesman

Post 09 Jun 2022, 8:52 am

bbauska
As far as I remember, Pres. Trump did nor partake in the Jan. 6th protests

Thats not entirely clear... The Secret Service had to veto Trump visiting the Capital demonstration site... So, he wanted to be there when the walls came tumbling down...

[quote]On Monday, the Justice Department released an indictment charging five leaders of the Proud Boys with seditious conspiracy. Like the sedition case against leaders of the Oath Keepers, the allegations suggest a deliberate and sophisticated plan among key militia figures to engage in violence at the Capitol that is at odds with the notion that the riot was simply a spontaneous and unplanned collective outburst.
What, if anything, did Trump and those in his orbit know about all this? Were people affiliated with the White House or the campaign aware of these sorts of preparations and plans — perhaps through potential Trump surrogates like Roger Stone? The answers would clearly bear on these people’s fitness to hold power in the future, but anyone who may have tacitly sanctioned or facilitated a plan that included violence would also face serious legal exposure of their own.[/quote
]
https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... s-00038177

Perhaps the January 6 hearings will shed some light....

As well Trump may be facing racketeering and fraud charges in Georgia. Activities that certainly inspired the events on January 6...
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/05 ... estigation
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2022, 11:43 am

geojanes wrote:
Ray Jay wrote:
geojanes wrote:

He misspoke and apologized.

Convenient...

To me it looked as if he spoke, got railed against (rightfully so), and apologized. His words were intentional, but in the heat of the moment. Geojanes, it sounds as if you are not wanting to call this the same as President Trump's idiotic comments. Schumer did it, and needs to be held to the same standard as Trump. Just own it...
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2022, 11:45 am

RickyP,
If there are criminal acts committed concerning the Jan 6th protests, I want them tried and convicted. That includes the former President. I, personally, do not think ANYONE is above the law.
Dignitary

Post 11 Jun 2022, 11:31 am

If Schumer didn't apologize, you'd be right. But he did. People make mistakes, and withdrawing poorly considered or worded comments is something that thoughtful people do, because everyone makes mistakes.

Show me where Trump apologizes, the next day, in public, saying what he said was wrong.

It doesn't happen. It's not the same.
Adjutant

Post 11 Jun 2022, 8:25 pm

These are heated times. Enormous political issues are at stake; fundamental issues are at stake.

I agree with George. Schumer said something inappropriate in the heat of the moment but he apologized. Trump and some others on the Right say outrageous things and never apologize,,that's a significant difference.

It just simply won't do to both sides everything. Trump bears a heavy responsibility for attacking the reliability of our voting systems and the attempted insurrection on Jan. 6th. Nothing comparable has been done by Democrats. There is only one side that is trying to subvert our democracy...
Administrator

Post 12 Jun 2022, 4:23 am

George and Freeman,

I agree that President Trump does not apologize. That is one of the MANY things I do not respect him for. I have a problem with saying Sen. Schumer misspoke. He did not. He spoke out of frustration and the heat of the moment. That is different. Schumer's heart did not change. Sen. Schumer does want the Judiciary to pay for decisions he does not like. He does not want them killed or injured. He only wants them harassed. He should have apologized for not clarifying what he meant; not what he said.

At least we all agree that what Sen. Schumer said was stupid, and inflammatory to the extremes of his party.

At least we all agree that what Pres. Trump said was stupid, and inflammatory to the extremes of his party.

Do you both really think it would be fine if President Trump apologized for what he said? I would love an answer to that. My conjecture is no, you would not be satisfied if Trump did apologize. I feel that an apology does not fix the issue from either man. It only provides "cover" for stupid, heartfelt words.

I assume both of you are married. Try an experiment, if you will. Go to your spouse and say something rude, hurtful and inflammatory. Apologize the next day and see how that goes. (please do NOT try this, as it would be bad for your relationship)