Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 20 May 2021, 7:12 am

What are people's viewpoints on Lori Lightfoot's restriction of access to the press unless a certain color of skin.

To me, that is implicit racism.

BTW, retirement is going well. Currently in the Pocono Mountains!

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/chicago-politics/lightfoot-says-she-will-only-give-1-on-1-interviews-to-journalists-of-color/2514015/

MLK's "I have a dream" speech comes to mind, and her actions do not come close to the greatness of Martin Luther King's.
Dignitary

Post 20 May 2021, 8:49 am

The headline is misleading, because it was only this one time for this one topic, and she's doing it to make a point. The topic (the anniversary of her inauguration) is not particularly newsworthy, and if she wants to make herself available and make a point that's important to her, fine.

If this policy was expanded to other topics, or even a single topic that was newsworthy, then that would be concerning.
Administrator

Post 20 May 2021, 4:19 pm

Does it really matter? Isn't this a bad precedent?
Dignitary

Post 21 May 2021, 8:40 am

bbauska wrote:Does it really matter? Isn't this a bad precedent?

Sure it's bad precedent, but it's not like Lori Lightfoot is a court? I assume that it's her time, it's her anniversary, she wants to give an interview to a person of color. She didn't have to give an interview to anyone, but she decided to, and she has the right to do it as she wants.

Don't you believe in the freedom to make your own decisions?
Administrator

Post 21 May 2021, 12:53 pm

Absolutely! I think choices are a personal matter that are between the peoples only, and not the government. However, I seem to be alone in that opinion. My past postings speak to that.

What would the outcry be if Gov. Desantis did this?
Ambassador

Post 22 May 2021, 6:16 am

bbauska wrote:Absolutely! I think choices are a personal matter that are between the peoples only, and not the government. However, I seem to be alone in that opinion. My past postings speak to that.

What would the outcry be if Gov. Desantis did this?

I think we are in an age where both sides use any event at their disposal to create a media firestorm, no matter how trivial the issue, to rile up their base. The news media on both sides is complicit in this, and often leads the charge. We need to turn off all this noise and focus on important stuff.
Dignitary

Post 22 May 2021, 8:36 am

bbauska wrote:What would the outcry be if Gov. Desantis did this?

Oh, please. Read what RJ wrote.
Administrator

Post 22 May 2021, 12:23 pm

Agreed. Let's hope that would be the only issue she does this.