Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 30 May 2022, 5:45 am

:yes:
Adjutant

Post 30 May 2022, 11:55 pm

What Republicans know is that fewer Dems will vote because of it; that's why they like Voter ID and why Dems don't.

I would just put together a commission--half of distinguished Dems, half of distinguished Repubs--to examine the overall issue of voting and come up with recommendations to make it as easy as possible while protecting against possible fraud (paper ballots seems to be one recommendation I've seen).

Of course now that Repubs have discovered the option of just ignoring the result even if Dems win, they don't seem quite as concerned about this issue...
Administrator

Post 31 May 2022, 3:30 am

Ignoring the result is not the proper response, any more than not ensuring that votes are validated by ID. For me, it has nothing to do with less Dems will vote or not. I want the vote to be ACCURATE. It is very important to me that there is faith in the election process.

Truth is the issue. Truth is NOT relative. Truth is truth.

But to Freeman's idea of a commission...
Voter ID
New lines drawn for districts that remove Gerrymandering (simpler polygons...)
No early voting, paid day off for election
No mail in voting unless absentee request on file

I want the election to be treated as something important and respected. I see such apathy toward the election until a portion of the electorate is not getting the desired results. Then they have a "hissy-fit" and start protesting, and it grows to Jan 6th protest levels. This cannot happen again. Both Dems and Repubs are gaming the system to their sides. It needs to stop.
Statesman

Post 06 Jun 2022, 6:59 am

rayjay
I don't see the downside.

Isn't the problem what qualifies as ID and how one goes about getting it?

For instance in Texas a gun license qualifies as ID. But a university identity card doesn't.
I some places, getting ID has been made remarkably hard ....

Voting ID is really not an obstacle if it isn't made to be an obstacle. We just voted in Ontario and I had to produce photo ID... But the accepted photo ID is pretty broad. And in the event one doesn't have such, you can use two other pieces of ID. Or You can still vote if you declare your identity and address in writing and have someone who knows you and who is assigned to your polling station vouch for you.

The voucher must be able to prove their identity and address. A person can vouch for only one person (except in long-term care institutions).

Its not that easy in many US states . (And importantly, requirements vary from state to state. Somehow that strikes me as being in contravention of the 14th Amendment.
Adjutant

Post 06 Jun 2022, 9:55 am

I like the idea for it being a national holiday. I don't get the issue with early voting. I think the request for absentee ballot on file is an unnecessary hassle. I don't mind VoterID if there is some mechanism if a person doesn't have a driver's license similar to what Ricky described.

And we need national requirements for national elections. Of course I agree with limits on gerrymandering.
Administrator

Post 06 Jun 2022, 12:19 pm

Any government issued ID should be fine.

Hard no on the vouching entity. That opens up so much opportunity for malfeasance.
Administrator

Post 07 Jun 2022, 2:50 pm

bbauska wrote:Any government issued ID should be fine.

Hard no on the vouching entity. That opens up so much opportunity for malfeasance.

Actually after a day of thought on the subject... I would allow a voucher, as long as the specific person was authorized (In writing w/ signature) by the specific voter to the county election government official.
Administrator

Post 12 Jun 2022, 4:51 am

Was President Reagan too old in 1984 when he ran against Walter Mondale? (winning 49 states!)
Statesman

Post 16 Jun 2022, 7:53 am

Since the 2020 election, 24 states have passed 56 new laws that restrict voting, in some cases affecting nearly every step of the process.

One of the reasons the US is not seen as a particularly democratic nation is the existence of 51 sets of regulations regarding voting. In some states its quite byzantine.

Here's an interesting examination of how States have added to the complexity since 2020..Its NOT just voter IDs..

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/vo ... -by-state/
Administrator

Post 16 Jun 2022, 5:20 pm

RickyP,

Thank you for the link RickyP. The issues that your link has a problem with:

1.) Length of time for registration to vote before election
2.) Application for mail in ballot
3.) Return of mail in ballot
4.) Early voting
5.) Election day voting requirements
6.) Ballot verification

1. I am fine with early registration. I prefer it. I think registering up to a week before election is fine.
2. Same with the application. Register, request, vote and return postmarked by day of election. Ballots shall not be blanket mailed. Too much room for shenanigans and malfeasance.
3. Ballot shall be postmarked by election day
4. Early voting should not be allowed. If day of election is paid holiday (I support!) and you cannot fit that into your schedule, then mail in voting with ID Requirements
5. ID. No ifs ands or buts. As for the other issues... Really? Requiring a judge to extend hours. I don't want the head cook to make up the decision to extend voting hours. too much room for malfeasance.
6. Partisan interference -NONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED
Signature matching - A MUST IF THERE IS A QUESTION
Ballot curing - As long as the ID and signature match, take 5 days
Fraud units - Is this a concern by either side. Should we all want to stop fraud?
Mandatory audits - Election officials should have their elections checked. Nothing should be allowed a safe haven in darkness.

I want equal and ID Verified elections. Is that too much to ask? What did you think was a problem with your link? People should have to vote by election day? That is a no brainer. What law do you have a problem with?
Statesman

Post 20 Jun 2022, 10:45 am

Bbauska
I want equal and ID Verified elections. Is that too much to ask?

As long as your Constitution places the authority for elections with each of the 50 states plus...
you are going to have elections that aren't not conducted equally.

Elections need to be conducted by an independent federal body, in order to ensure confidence and equality.
Administrator

Post 20 Jun 2022, 11:47 am

rickyp wrote:Bbauska
I want equal and ID Verified elections. Is that too much to ask?

As long as your Constitution places the authority for elections with each of the 50 states plus...
you are going to have elections that aren't not conducted equally.

Elections need to be conducted by an independent federal body, in order to ensure confidence and equality.

I was speaking equality based upon each voter in each state. I want all voters in each state to have to follow the same rules.

Yes, the Constitution places the authority on the states. I have always been an advocate of following the Constitution literally or amending it as set forth in the Constitution.
Statesman

Post 21 Jun 2022, 1:23 pm

bbauska
I was speaking equality based upon each voter in each state. I want all voters in each state to have to follow the same rules

And how would you ensure that happens under your current Constitution?
If there is no way, then how likely do you think this could be amended?
Administrator

Post 21 Jun 2022, 6:39 pm

One vote, one ID, one day. (and that day would be a federal holiday)

If the ballot cannot be done in person, then the ballot must be requested in person or in the case of military by a voting officer. There are HARD COPIES of each ballot.

Although not perfect, it is better than the current system which has many foibles that lead to mistrust.
Administrator

Post 21 Jun 2022, 6:44 pm

rickyp wrote:bbauska
I was speaking equality based upon each voter in each state. I want all voters in each state to have to follow the same rules

And how would you ensure that happens under your current Constitution?
If there is no way, then how likely do you think this could be amended?

I list my ideas from above for your convenience.

1. I am fine with early registration. I prefer it. I think registering up to a week before election is fine.
2. Same with the application. Register, request, vote and return postmarked by day of election. Ballots shall not be blanket mailed. Too much room for shenanigans and malfeasance.
3. Ballot shall be postmarked by election day
4. Early voting should not be allowed. If day of election is paid holiday (I support!) and you cannot fit that into your schedule, then mail in voting with ID Requirements
5. ID. No ifs ands or buts. As for the other issues... Really? Requiring a judge to extend hours. I don't want the head cook to make up the decision to extend voting hours. too much room for malfeasance.
6. Partisan interference -NONE SHOULD BE ALLOWED
Signature matching - A MUST IF THERE IS A QUESTION
Ballot curing - As long as the ID and signature match, take 5 days
Fraud units - Is this a concern by either side. Should we all want to stop fraud?
Mandatory audits - Election officials should have their elections checked. Nothing should be allowed a safe haven in darkness.