Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 06 Jun 2020, 10:42 am

freeman3 wrote:George...what the heck is going on with NYPD? Video of police officers using batons on peaceful, unarmed protesters.

Cops gotta cop.
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2020, 2:36 pm

Tony Timpa...

Anybody know him?
Adjutant

Post 09 Jun 2020, 3:01 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.co ... index.html
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2020, 3:08 pm

My question then is why no protests for him?
Adjutant

Post 09 Jun 2020, 7:10 pm

I think the video not being released publicly for 3 years was part of it. Also the Floyd case was more egregious.
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2020, 7:43 pm

No. Video was released. Media did not play it.

Egregious how? Officer on his neck for 13 minutes.
Adjutant

Post 09 Jun 2020, 10:08 pm

I'm not sure what your argument is here, Brad.
Administrator

Post 09 Jun 2020, 10:21 pm

Officer 1 choked out suspect for 13 minutes, and suspect died
Officer 2 choked out suspect for 9 minutes and suspect died.

Why do you think one is more egregious than the other, and why did ZERO people comment on the Officer 1 incident?

The ONLY difference is the race of the suspect. Both had criminal activity, both had drugs in the system. Incident 1 had a longer duration of choking? How can you say Incident 2 is more egregious?

I can say that BOTH lives matter.

Perhaps only the black life matters to those running the agenda.
Adjutant

Post 10 Jun 2020, 10:32 am

This is just a way for conservatives to divide people. Blacks get the worst of it by a large margin, but there is no doubt that some whites suffer from police brutality, too. Some white protesters are seeing how police dont mind thumping white people too when they dont do what they want them to do. But police brutality occurs far more in poor minority communities.

Again, the body cam footage of Timpa was revealed only after a three year fight by the Dallas Morning News. If you look at the Timpa video they are not choking him out, anyway. One officer is putting pressure on his back near his neck and he has a knee on his back but he is definitely not choking him out for 13 minutes. Not even close. So,yes, less egregious and three years before the video is seen tends to defuse the outrage. And at least initially Timpa was resisting.

And by the way you lose white privilege when you become mentally ill or LBGT. There is a long history of police mishandling situations with mentally ill people. Also when people say Black Lives Matter they are not saying that White Lives don't.

All they are saying is that society acts as if black lives dont matter and they are asserting that they do.

That's the usual conservative tactic (I'm sure you got this from conservative media) of taking an example of a white person getting mistreated and then try to muddy the waters and imply minorities are not getting treated unfairly. Like everything evens out. It doesnt. Anecdotal examples are not what counts--what matters are the overall statistics.
Administrator

Post 10 Jun 2020, 11:58 am

I see this must be another way that I disagree with you.

Just because I say ALL lives matter, it does not mean Black lives don't. (See what I did there?)

I think the police brutality is a problem, and I said so. Just because I want equal treatment across the board, that is not enough for those on the left.

Since you are from California, maybe you can provide some understanding as to why a UCLA Accounting professor is under police protection for not treating Black students differently enough. I can post the email saying he wants to treat all his students the same if you need.

SIDE NOTE: I read more than the "Conservative media". MSNBC, Salon, VOX, HuffPo, Fox News, NYT, The Guardian, and WSJ. Fairly wide reaching, IMHO...
Adjutant

Post 10 Jun 2020, 12:28 pm

The only reason I said you got it from conservative media was to indicate that it was their tactic, not your tactic. And, yes, that is a wide spectrum of media.

The question is not a semantics one as to whether black, white or green lives matter...the question is whether blacks have been actually been devalued in this country and are still being devalued, particularly by the police. If not, saving all lives matter is an acceptable response. Because you are disagreeing with that premise. If all races are getting treated equally by the police (controlling for other factors), then saying all lives matter as a counter to black lives matter is perfectly fine. You would be saying you reject the contention that blacks are treated worse by the police and therefore focusing on police brutality against black people would be to give Black people preferential treatment.

If that's your contention...are you right? Because I dont think you are right. And if you are wrong....to say all lives matter to in response to the Black Lives matter...seems wrong. Yes, we should care that Tony Timba was mistreated by the police no matter what race he is. (Although, he actually belongs to a subset of people--the mentally ill--that has historically been mistreated by the police). But what makes George Floyd different is that he is the worst example of systemic mistreatment of black people and that makes his example different than a case involving a white person which is not due to systemic mistreatment. This is not about word play...but whether there is systemic, structural mistreatment by the police against black people in this country.

I dont know about the professor case...but I do get a little suspicious when a professor claims he just wants to treat everyone equally. But what matters are the fact of the case so I'll look at it if you link it
Last edited by freeman3 on 10 Jun 2020, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator

Post 10 Jun 2020, 12:47 pm

https://www.change.org/p/ucla-fire-ucla-professor-gordon-klein

Thanks for your suggestion in your email below that I give black students special treatment, given the tragedy in Minnesota. Do you know the names of the classmates that are black? How can I identify them since we've been having online classes only? Are there any students that may be of mixed parentage, such as half black-half Asian? What do you suggest I do with respect to them? A full concession or just half? Also, do you have any idea if any students are from Minneapolis? I assume that they probably are especially devastated as well. I am thinking that a white student from there might be possibly even more devastated by this, especially because some might think that they're racist even if they are not. My TA is from Minneapolis, so if you don't know, I can probably ask her. Can you guide me on how you think I should achieve a "no-harm" outcome since our sole course grade is from a final exam only? One last thing strikes me: Remember that MLK famously said that people should not be evaluated based on the "color of their skin." Do you think that your request would run afoul of MLK's admonition? Thanks, G. Klein

Email reply from the professor
Administrator

Post 10 Jun 2020, 1:09 pm

Seems like he is treating everyone equally.
Adjutant

Post 10 Jun 2020, 1:20 pm

Well, I think that was a very unprofessional response by the lecturer and he deserved to be suspended. You do not mock students like that when youre representing UCLA. What he should have said was that he could only consider claims of hardship requiring delay of exams or other differential treatment on an individualized basis justifying it , otherwise he would be favoring some students at the expense of others. But his actual response was inappropriate and, frankly, somewhat juvenile. (Although the request was somewhat immature as well, it was made with good intentions and anyway he is supposed to be the adult in the room.)
Administrator

Post 10 Jun 2020, 1:30 pm

Again, I guess we see it differently. The student is wanting Black students to be treated differently. Perhaps that should have been the only response.

Greetings,
In regards to your request, it is not UCLA's policy to treat one race of student better than another.
G.Klein