Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 30 Apr 2020, 8:44 am

Could anyone explain the difference between the people's/media response to the claims of sexual impropriety against Biden and sexual impropriety against Kavanaugh?

It is a complete WHITEWASH by the media concerning Biden.

How can anyone support Biden in the light of this regarding Tara Reade allegations? (Sound familiar to Kavanaugh?)

Yes, I know Trump is someone you don't like. Maybe that is the only reason you could have to support Biden. It certainly isn't reasonable to support Biden on his own merits.

At least Sanders is a candidate with integrity.
Adjutant

Post 30 Apr 2020, 9:22 am

Huffington Post has been pretty hard on Biden. The New York Times did a pretty thorough investigation and when they heard Biden's talking points that the article absolved Biden and the New York Times pushed back on that denying they concluded one way or another.

We're never going to have certainty on this one way or another. I have a hard time believing she just made it up and she did complain about it to friends/a neighbor at least somewhat contemporaneously but otherwise it's just word vs word. There is a bit of a concern that the accuser started off with sort of mild uncomfortable touching accusations and then made more serious ones.

But here's the thing: there is an allegation against Trump just as bad. And he has a much worse record of sexual impropriety with regard to women than Biden does. Pretty clearly, Biden will make policy decisions that are more favorable than Trump. Moreover, Trump's decisions with regard to dealing with the coronavirus have cost thousands of lives. He is a continuing divisive threat to our country. There is no way these allegations would stop me from voting for Biden. No way. Four more of years of this idiot as our president? No way.

And by the way, one difference between Kavanaugh and Biden is that it is really not that difficult just to find another supreme court nominee. But Biden was chosen after a long nominating process. You cant easily just find someone else.
Last edited by freeman3 on 30 Apr 2020, 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dignitary

Post 30 Apr 2020, 10:00 am

bbauska wrote:Could anyone explain the difference between the people's/media response to the claims of sexual impropriety against Biden and sexual impropriety against Kavanaugh?

How can anyone support Biden in the light of this regarding Tara Reade allegations? (Sound familiar to Kavanaugh?)

Yes, I know Trump is someone you don't like. Maybe that is the only reason you could have to support Biden. It certainly isn't reasonable to support Biden on his own merits.

At least Sanders is a candidate with integrity.

The charges against Biden are much worse. Hell, the Kavanaugh complaint was from when he was a child, or very close to it. The relevance of what a grown man did when he was 17 or 18 years old, to the man he became 30 years later, there just isn't any, or at least not much.

Biden was not only grown, but he was like 50 years old, he was married, he was in power, the person was his subordinate, it was not consensual, really, really bad.

The only reason to support Biden is that Trump is worse. It is not reasonable to support Biden on his own merits. Sanders, really any of them, would have been better.
Administrator

Post 30 Apr 2020, 10:40 am

GeoJanes,
You and I agree. Trump has an allegation, also. Biden's is worse than Kavanaugh, and the only reason to support Biden at this time is the juvenile argument Trump does it too.

Never liked that reason much when my kids use it as well.

Freeman,
Do you think the NYT and HuffPo have been comparable in their treatment? You are much smarter than that. You points with RickyP prove that.
Adjutant

Post 30 Apr 2020, 11:27 am

I never liked Biden, anyway. But the stakes are too high, now. The only thing attacking Biden now willl do is help Trump to win. Just hold one's nose and vote.

I do agree thst the allegation against Biden is much worse than Kavanaugh, who if the allegations were true might be somewhat excused due to youth and drinking problems. The allegations against Trump are much worse overall.

And then of course these kinds of things bring up the potential unfairness of negative consequences based on the word of someone without corroboration. Our natural instinct is to think that no one is going to make this up (or at least exaggerate). But we dont know that for sure. I am not sure we have a good way of dealing with such allegations.
Administrator

Post 30 Apr 2020, 12:07 pm

Our natural instinct is to think that no one is going to make this up (or at least exaggerate). But we dont know that for sure.

The Tawana Brawley and Duke Lacrosse Team fiascos certainly changed my way of thinking on allegations.

Regarding holding one's nose... I was unable to vote for Trump because of his character issues. That is in the face of 4 years of Mrs. Clinton! I chose to vote Evan McMullin. I do not accept the holding one's nose. Vote you conscience and make a stand for what YOU believe in.

Perhaps voting against someone is what you believe in. Sounds like it.
Adjutant

Post 30 Apr 2020, 12:48 pm

I am citizen of the United States of America and by virtue of that fact I have some small say in how the country gets run. I will exercise that power to make our country as good as it can be given the choices I have. If Hitler and Mussolini are on the ballot...I'm voting for Mussolini. This whole voting your conscience thing...when the effect of that would have disasterous effects in the country if people did that with regard to Biden...I don't get. But it's your vote and you have the freedom to exercise it as you see fit.
Administrator

Post 30 Apr 2020, 1:02 pm

As do you also. I appreciate the fact that you do exercise your vote.

ANYONE who does that is doing the right thing in my book.

(Side note: In your allegory, which one is Hitler? Just Kidding... :winkgrin:)
Ambassador

Post 01 May 2020, 5:35 am

Bbauska:

I've heard others say this, but what is the source? There have been articles about Biden in NYT, NPR, etc. Certainly the parade of Democratic politicians supporting him is depressing, but the MSM hasn't been as one-sided as the right of center media has portrayed it.

It is true that there was more of a sense of urgency for Kavanaugh. But the vote was imminent. Here we have 6 months to stew over it, I'm sorry to say.

I agree that the case against Biden is stronger. In addition to the other reasons mentioned, the witness was older. I trust the memory of someone recalling an event that happened in their 30's that they detailed to others at the time more than the memory of a teenager 30 years after the fact.

BB, you'll have a libertarian to vote for again. Since my vote here in Mass. doesn't matter, that's the way I will go. If I were in a swing state, I'd vote for Mussolini (Biden). He only bleaches his teeth.
Administrator

Post 01 May 2020, 1:01 pm

Lately it has not been a "Whitewash". Yesterday, I looked at CNN.com, and found 1 item about Biden/Reade. It was in small print and not pictured. That is quite a difference from the Kavanaugh situation.

I know this week on SNL, there will be Matt Damon looking for a reprisal of his role as Kavanaugh (which he did a great job!) asking for equality and an apology from all the people who badmouthed him during the confirmations.

Yes, the NYT has picked up the pace recently on it's reporting of the sex assault.
Administrator

Post 02 May 2020, 7:26 am

The New York Times calls for an investigation into the Biden/Reade affair. Well that is nice. The only problem is they wanted the DNC to investigate. Perhaps a real investigation. What would the response have been if the RNC said they would investigate the Kavanaugh/Basey-Ford affair.

Really? Fox and hen house?
Adjutant

Post 02 May 2020, 11:11 am

Well, I guarantee you the DNC does not want to do that investigation. Anyway, the White House was essentially in charge of the further investigation into Kavanaugh and they limited it. Moreover, who has the authority to do any investigation here? I guess the Senate could investigate its members for alleged impropieties. But I doubt that the Senate would want to get involved. (They really want to start investigating all the skeletons in members' closets--I dont think so.) The DNC is the only other body that has the control over Biden that they could do an investigation.

So I think the action by the New York Times is not an attempt at a whitewash but actually an attempt to get all the facts out on this when there is no other avenue to do so. It is clearly not an attempt to help Biden...because it doesnt. I am not sure I agree with it. It's just going to be a distraction. Maybe we should have concurrent investigations into all of Trump's sexual impropieties?

I mean, I would not mind if Sanders became the nominee because of this, but that wont happen.
Statesman

Post 03 May 2020, 11:21 am

Freeman3
I mean, I would not mind if Sanders became the nominee because of this, but that wont happen

What happens if really damning evidence comes forward, and he decides to resign as a result?
If before the August convention... then you've got an open convention where many states haven't had primaries...
And it might, because of Covid 19, be a virtual convention with delegates voting remotely?
Interesting times.
I'd think people who didn't run for the position might suddenly be considered...
Adjutant

Post 03 May 2020, 12:09 pm

Possibly. If the complaint were found and evidence of some evidence of adverse action taken her or other women come forward with credible allegations. (I saw one other allegation on Fox News that he said allegedly said something inappropriate at a dinner but it seems that circumstantial.evidence indicates that he did not go to the dinner.)

My concern is thst the most likely result is that he will be weakened as a candidate...but not enough to withdraw from the race. And that just helps Trump.

By the way, the DNC shot down the idea of sn investigation of Biden...
Statesman

Post 04 May 2020, 6:47 am

I think a thorough investigation would likely clear him...
At least based on reading this :

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/3046962001