Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 12 Feb 2020, 10:13 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 660796002/

I was quite surprised at the DA response to not even charge the assailant of the police because of the investigation of the police. These are two separate instances that need investigation. For those not reading the article:
Homeless man attacks police with vodka bottle, wounding officers
Police attempt restraint and custody
Homeless man resists arrest
Police shoot Homeless man in leg 3 times

I hope these are accurate, as they are what I have read. If someone has better on scene info, I would love more.

The DA not charging the homeless man is a problem. It is not showing support of your officers. Personally, I hope the officers find other jurisdictions to serve.

All I have is the SF Chronicle and USA today to go on. I hope there is more info locally...
Adjutant

Post 12 Feb 2020, 11:19 am

Two police officers were looking for a burglary suspect and I guess stopped their car to perhaps question this homeless guy and he hit one of them with Grey Goose vodka bottle causing facial injuries. There then was a chase, the officer who had not been hit tried to pepper spray the guy and he shot the guy when the homeless guy came towards him apparently with the vodka bottle. There is some body cam footage but it's a little hard to tell exactly what happened. Frankly, if the guy moved toward the police officer with a bottle in his hand after he just used the same bottle on another officer, then the officer had little choice. I don't have a problem holding off charging the homeless guy until it is determined the shooting was justified, because frankly getting his leg amputated seems enough punishment to me if he should not have been shot. But while I am not totally sure based on what I saw, it seems like the guy was moving towards the officer and if he had a bottle (and I have havent heard any claim that he got rid of the bottle) then that was an ill-advised move on his part and he is lucky to be alive. I think actually the complaint is more maybe the officers should have done something to deescalate the situation, but I ain't seeing that either.

You can see the body-cam video below. There was a better video in a New York Post article, I am having trouble downloading it (I saw it once but then had trouble after that) but maybe you can.

https://missionlocal.org/2019/12/jamaic ... -shooting/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost.com ... ottle/amp/
Administrator

Post 12 Feb 2020, 12:19 pm

Wow. That was the video I was looking for.

The officers pull over a homeless man, and he charges them causing facial injuries. Homeless man is lucky to be alive. The officer was well within his rights to eliminate the threat of continued assault with a vodka bottle as he was being charged.

I do not know if mental disorder was an issue here, but the officer should have aimed at "center of body mass", and hopefully he was. His aim was not good, and the homeless man is completely in the wrong.

I do not know what the DA is thinking in not charging the homeless man for his crime. There better be charges or the police will leave.
Adjutant

Post 12 Feb 2020, 2:26 pm

Maybe...but do you know how much the starting pay is for SFPD? $84K. I know that because my nephew got hired about a year ago....and he loves it. Anyway, I'm sure they will eventually get this right. This doesnt look to be a close case.