Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 12 Nov 2021, 4:28 pm

Glad to see your opinion hasn't changed.

You never fail meet my expectations!
Adjutant

Post 15 Nov 2021, 8:09 am

Trump is literally trying to end our democracy and youre worried about the Steele Dossier? And Covid myths? How about the myths against the vaccine that is causing so many deaths and keeping Covid around,? The alternate reality that Trump supporters believe in a threat to our existence as a country in a way that FBI's lazy reliance on a PI is not (hopefully the FBI/DOJ has put in some reforms).

I researched my posts and I never touted the Steele Dossier so I got no need to apologize for it. I suspect there are links between Russia and Trump. The Deutsche Bank loans are extremely suspicious as they were financially unsound (and Don, Jr's comments about Russia funding and the money available for Trump golf courses when no bank was lending money for that after 2008); there was the fact that after Trump visited Russia was feted in 1987 he came back and spent $100,000 on ads decrying our spending money on overseas bases (a position that would please Russia); Manafort, Flynn Page et al having connections to Russia; the Miss Universe just happening to be in Russia in 2013; the June, 2016 meeting between Don, Jr. and a representative of Russia; and most importantly Trump's absurd kowtowing to Putin. and helping Russian interests in Syria, Afghanistan, Ukraine, etc. And by undermining NATO None of that is based on the Steele Dossier.
Administrator

Post 15 Nov 2021, 4:32 pm

Wasn't speaking that toward you, so don't be defensive!

You do realize Trump is not president anymore, right? If you are trying to change my mind on Trump, you need a new target. I have not been a supporter of his.

Perhaps this is exactly the reason we need VOTER ID. Much more difficult to commit fraud, regardless of which side of the aisle you seat yourself in.
Adjutant

Post 15 Nov 2021, 7:45 pm

Sorry, your right. I apologize. I would rather just have positive discussions then get into pointless arguments nowadays.
Administrator

Post 16 Nov 2021, 6:11 am

Thank you, Freeman. I forgive you. That is EXACTLY why I have been posting less in Political discussions, because some people will not listen to opposing views.

My favorite T-shirt: (I actually have it!)
https://nemoshirt.com/product/know-parasites-democrat-republican-shirt/

I want everyone to vote. I want everyone to have ID. The "argument" that not everyone has ID is specious at best, because you need ID for so many other things that are important. If you choose to not have ID, then I suppose you can choose to not vote, fly, get library books, et. al...

As for the Steele Dossier, the shenanigans (I spelling word I had yesterday with my kids!), and lies from the FBI to try to sway the election in the directions of the Dems, is something that is akin to subverting Democracy.

As for the Trump trying to get the states to disallow the election, that is akin to subverting Democracy.

IMHO, the people want free and fair elections. They have not been getting them, that is for sure.
Statesman

Post 16 Nov 2021, 12:41 pm

bbauska
IMHO, the people want free and fair elections. They have not been getting them, that is for sure

https://medium.com/@leinagabra/the-myth ... e0db90f8bd

This is a pretty comprehensive examination of the nature of the electoral process in the US. DO you largely agree with the author?

Delegitimizing the electoral process is a key part of the process in every situation where authoritarians have seized power in nascent democracies. The mythologizing of the last election, up to and including the attempt at mythologizing the January 6 attempt to derail the process in the Capitol are all evidence that the minority don't want free and fair elections. They want elections they can control.
With voter suppression and Gerrymandering. And supported by the built in anti-democratic features
of the Constitution....

bbauska
"Glad to see your opinion hasn't changed"
Why would my opinion about Trump change? What's he done lately?

Or are you huffy because you said this " I guess it has been completely debunked"
I don't understand why you are huffy when I point out that the Dossier hasn't been completely debunked... I mean you were only guessing anyway.
Administrator

Post 16 Nov 2021, 5:47 pm

Gerrymandering... Don't like it, would rather have squares or something much more simple. BOTH SIDES MISUSE THIS.

Felon Disenfranchisement... Too bad, don't commit felonies. BOTH LIBERALS AND CONSERVATIVES ARE FELONS. (on this subject, do you find it odd that more African Americans are committing crimes? Take Chicago and the current two year spike in shootings and murder. These are happening in Black/LatinX neighborhoods. Whose fault is that? Hint... It is not the "Evil" White person who is placing weapons in the hands of POCs)

Shelby V Holder... Voting laws should be identical across the entire state, and not different for different populations. This is BLATANTLY unequal. I would believe that equality is what is important.

Mail in Balloting... Mark me down for not liking this. If voting is important enough to you, then make effort to get in to the precinct. The precincts are open for more than enough time to make it around work. If you are in a coma et. al, and not able to get down there, your ballot should not be filled out by another.

BTW, not huffy. Retirement has been great for me. It has helped me relax and not stress about stupid things. I simply do not have time for things like that.

I will say that the entire dossier was not debunked. You are correct on that. Enough of it has, that the questions that remain, bring in enough suspicion to doubt anything from that.

Also, I hope that the Dems keep tilting that windmill of Trump. It worked in Virginia...

What do you think of Biden's handling of crisis after crisis?
Also, is Mrs. Harris in Canada? We haven't seen her in the US.
Statesman

Post 17 Nov 2021, 9:56 am

bbauska
do you find it odd that more African Americans are committing crimes?
\
Not at all.

Proportionally they are charged with more crimes per capita. The fact is that crime is a product of poverty and lack of opportunity.
And Blacks are more likely to be born into poor households.
Also, enforcement, prosecutorial and judicial prejudice see more blacks charged, aggressively prosecuted and severely sentenced.

bbauska
Mail in Balloting... Mark me down for not liking this.

So you don't think the military or Americans living abroad for business shouldn't be voting then>?
(If they can vote by mail why note everyone else?)

bbauska
Gerrymandering... Don't like it, would rather have squares or something much more simple. BOTH SIDES MISUSE THIS.

equally?
Administrator

Post 17 Nov 2021, 7:10 pm

Oh please don't give me the load of crap about being poor and having a lack of opportunity. I LIVED THAT as a child, didn't commit crimes, and worked quite hard. I made the success. I know many African Americans that have done the same.

I am fine with all balloting requiring a certified ID from the Precinct Official(in person), Voting Officer (military), or the consulate (abroad). Problem solved!

As to gerrymandering... The equality scale has wandered over time to one side or another. I could say win states, and you can set the district. But I won't. Winning a state legislature election does have consequences. Remember that quote?
Adjutant

Post 17 Nov 2021, 10:48 pm

I am curious Brad: do you think as a poor white American you were in the same situation as a poor black American?

Here is a story of a Hispanic scholar who was at a fancy restaurant and as we waiting people kept giving him keys.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... rts-health

White males--30% of population--still hold most political power.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... s-research

Oh, 90% of Fortune 500 CEOs are white males.

Here is a study looking at how educators tend to expect challenging behavior from black boys...without any basis for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.thegua ... hool-study

This study found just having one black teacher in third, fourth, and five grade reduced black high school drop-out rates by 39%.

https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2017/04 ... -in-school

This study links discrimination to reduced telemeres: which is linked aged and a host other diseases. Chronic stress is not good for the body.

https://ocm.auburn.edu/newsroom/news_ar ... -aging.php

This society indicates that non-white teachers have lowered expectations for black students.

https://www.american.edu/spa/news/race- ... 302016.cfm

You were poor Brad but you were bombarded with images in society of people who looked like you being successful. Teachers did not have low expectations of you. No one treated you like a potential criminal in a store. The hurdles for black kids are a lot higher. That doesn't mean things were easy for you or that you didn't work hard or didn't earn your success. It just means you had a fair shot.
Administrator

Post 18 Nov 2021, 6:29 am

I certainly do not believe anyone has it like anyone else. I know several African Americans who succeed. I bet you do too. Let me start a list.

Barak Obama
Condeleeza Rice
Colin Powell
Oprah
Damon John
Maya Angelou
Kamala Harris
Kizzmekia Corbett
Thurgood Marshall
Andrew Young

This is by no means comprehensive. Do you think there is personal reasons affecting the probability of success, or is it all external?

NBA has 75% African Americans. Do I complain that this is not fair? Certainly not! Their merit and personal hard work brings them there.
Adjutant

Post 18 Nov 2021, 8:45 am

Interesting list...

Barack Obama--half-white, half black. Parents met in college.. Raised by white mother. Father came from distinguished family.. Grandmother was a banker.
Condeleeza Rice--professional parents. Dreamed of being a concent pianist
Colin Powell--parents were Jamaican immigrants.
Thurgood Marshall-'His father, William Canfield Marshall, worked as a railroad porter, and his mother, Norma Arica Williams, worked as a teacher. Marshall's parents instilled in him an appreciation for the United States Constitution and the rule of law.[6][7] Marshall first learned how to debate from his father, who took Marshall and his brother to watch court cases; they would later debate what they had seen. The family also debated current events after dinner.'
Oprah--She did have a poor, impoverished background. But her talent was apparent. Did well on her speech team in high school and got a full scholarship.
Kamala--Mother was Indian, father black.
"Her mother, Shyamala Gopalan, a Tamil Indian biologist whose work on the progesterone receptor gene stimulated advances in breast cancer research,[11] had arrived in the United States from India in 1958 as a 19-year-old graduate student in nutrition and endocrinology at the University of California, Berkeley."
Andrew Young--"Andrew Young was born on March 12, 1932, in New Orleans, to Daisy Young, a schoolteacher, and Andrew Jackson Young Sr., a dentist."
Maya Angelou--"When Angelou was three and her brother four, their parents' "calamitous marriage"[7] ended, and their father sent them to Stamps, Arkansas, alone by train, to live with their paternal grandmother, Annie Henderson. In "an astonishing exception"[8] to the harsh economics of African Americans of the time, Angelou's grandmother prospered financially during the Great Depression and World War II because the general store she owned sold needed basic commodities and because "she made wise and honest investments."
Damon John--""
Sensing potential, John and his mother mortgaged their house for $100,000 to generate start-up capital.
Kizzmekia Corbett--Her fourth grade teacher, Myrtis Bradsher, recalls recognizing Corbett's talent at an early age and encouraging Kizzy's mother to place her in advanced classes. "I always thought she is going to do something one day. She dotted i's and crossed t's. The best in my 30 years of teaching,"

Most of the success stories are of people from backgrounds that are not the norm for a poor black family. And their parents are largely middle-class (or higher). Oprah is probably the only one that fits your narrative (if you were seeking to show poor black Americans can make it).

A COLLEGE basketball player has a 1% chance of making it to the NBA. It's practically like hitting the lottery....

Anyway, I cited you to evidence of structural impediments to black success, how they are bombarded with negative perceptions of themselves. You may think you're not affected by the outside world, but our perceptions of who we are is heavily influenced by the social world around us. White males--even poor--are not getting that social negativitiy reflected back into them, which is then internalized. It is not an accident that you chose examples of black people who had backgrounds that had largely escaoed that kind of negativity.

And a few succcess stories hardly disproves the contention that poor black Americans have high barriers to success, anyway. The vast majority of people don't make it to that level of success. Generally, success is having a good-paying job, having a nice house, raising a family. The question is what are the barriers to poor black Americans making it to thst level of success. They're high.
Administrator

Post 18 Nov 2021, 9:03 am

I don't mean to say it is easy. Quite the opposite. It is difficult, VERY difficult.

Most important things are.
Administrator

Post 18 Nov 2021, 9:07 am

Do you think a married family helps the possibility of success of the children?
Statesman

Post 18 Nov 2021, 9:32 am

bbauska
Do you think a married family helps the possibility of success of the children?

Sure.

That's why the disparity in sentencing between blacks and whites convicted of crimes is a contributing factor to the increased difficulties for blacks in working out of poverty. Sending blacks to prison at a rate 3 times that of whites convicted of the same crimes, helps feed the for profit prison system and helps destroy black families.

Freeman has given you a lot of evidence to confirm that discrimination continues today. Here's a little evidence to show how disparities in how races are treated made the road out of poverty more difficult for blacks.

Redlining made it difficult to impossible for black families to secure mortgages:
https://www.npr.org/2017/05/03/52665583 ... ed-america

Black GIs could not get the benefits of the GI Bill
https://www.history.com/news/gi-bill-bl ... s-benefits

By the way, black Gis returning from WWI, had it even rougher. Despite earning unit medals from the French Army, who they served with as equals, they were cut loose from any benefits in the US. 24 were lynched in the years after they returned.

And maybe here's why you can't understand why any of this matters:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/wh ... ealth-gap/