Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 24 Jul 2015, 11:54 am

Perhaps we need a thread for all our Trump needs...

The latest PPP(D) poll puts Trump ahead, and was carried out Monday/Tuesday - after he attacked McCain. On 19 to Walker's 17, but still, ahead and not completely burned.

And an interesting poll has Trump as more popular than McCain among veterans: http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/24/y ... do-mccain/
Dignitary

Post 24 Jul 2015, 2:23 pm

danivon wrote:Perhaps we need a thread for all our Trump needs...

The latest PPP(D) poll puts Trump ahead, and was carried out Monday/Tuesday - after he attacked McCain. On 19 to Walker's 17, but still, ahead and not completely burned.

And an interesting poll has Trump as more popular than McCain among veterans: http://hotair.com/archives/2015/07/24/y ... do-mccain/

I think a lot of us remember Herman Cain and other improbable early flash-in-the-pans. There's no way that Trump makes it far, but he could make an interesting spectacle if he's invited to debates.
Adjutant

Post 24 Jul 2015, 7:49 pm

Or, his presence may force an as-yet unknown republican to challenge him. Someone able to do to Trump what all the others can't.
Statesman

Post 25 Jul 2015, 7:44 am

hacker
Someone able to do to Trump what all the others can't

What would that be?
Adjutant

Post 26 Jul 2015, 2:53 pm

well, considering he is ahead of all other republicans in the polls my answer would have to be "win the primary".
Emissary

Post 26 Jul 2015, 3:14 pm

He'll be gone before he hits the financial disclosure deadline.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jul 2015, 7:58 pm

Sassenach wrote:He'll be gone before he hits the financial disclosure deadline.

He'll be gone when he loses Nevada--or when he does something so colossally lame that his numbers tank.
Statesman

Post 27 Jul 2015, 6:19 am

sass
He'll be gone before he hits the financial disclosure deadline

He filed July 15th didn't he?
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2015, 10:16 pm

So, will his swipe at Megyn Kelly - suggesting her difficult questioning was down to being menstrual - finally hit his popularity?

Or will it maintain his image of not succumbing to "political correctness"?
Statesman

Post 10 Aug 2015, 5:27 am

Donald Trump's comments about Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly are hurting his standing in the Republican primary, it's not showing in the numbers.

http://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/n ... ad-n406766

A good quarter of republicans seem to be in lock step with his attitudes.towards everything and everybody.
Ambassador

Post 10 Aug 2015, 6:35 am

rickyp wrote:
Donald Trump's comments about Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly are hurting his standing in the Republican primary, it's not showing in the numbers.

A good quarter of republicans seem to be in lock step with his attitudes.towards everything and everybody.

Because that's what polls measure . . .
Ambassador

Post 10 Aug 2015, 9:24 am

rickyp wrote:

It's an interesting poll. I've certainly been confounded by his popularity. It all seems to be based on his hitting the right emotions, but not on policy, because his policy ideas are not particularly conservative, perhaps with the exception of immigration.

From the poll, this is an interesting tidbit:

The survey also finds a majority of Trump supporters say they would vote for him as an independent candidate for president, in the event he does not win the Republican nomination.

In other words, even if the Republican nominee is more conservative than Trump (e.g. Cruz or ) or liberal (e.g. Bush), or libertarian (e.g. Paul) or pro-life (Santorum, Walker, Huckabee), etc. they will vote with their anger, and not with their reason or ideology, per se. They will throw the election because emotionally Donald is striking the right nerve, whether it makes sense to do so, or not.

I fell asleep during the Republican debate, but I did wake up to hear Dr. Carson say that he has performed surgery and he is quite sure that we are all the same under the skin, or something to that effect. At that moment the audience loudly cheered, which I thought was great. Certainly the majority of Republicans are on board with equality in theory, although the policy debate is more complicated than that. But there is that troubling 23% to which Ricky eludes...
Ambassador

Post 10 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

Ray Jay wrote:It's an interesting poll. I've certainly been confounded by his popularity. It all seems to be based on his hitting the right emotions, but not on policy, because his policy ideas are not particularly conservative, perhaps with the exception of immigration.

It is absolute frustration with politicians. Some in the GOP base are (rightly, imnsho) ticked off with Boehner and McConnell for failing to exercise their Constitutional power to do much of anything to stop Obama. There seems little point in voting for Republicans--the budget keeps going up, the border doesn't get secured, our country gets pushed around all over the globe, and the President keeps skirting the Constitution.

A lot is said about racism, but let me say this: no President in our history could get away with as much unconstitutional activity as this one. Republicans are terrified of being labeled "racists" if they even utter the "i" word.

From the poll, this is an interesting tidbit:

The survey also finds a majority of Trump supporters say they would vote for him as an independent candidate for president, in the event he does not win the Republican nomination.

And, I see it in my FB feed. Mostly, these folks are those who think Hillary committed murder. In other words, it's the conspiracy nuts and those who are so mad they don't care what Trump actually stands for. He is a celebrity and embodies the "DC is filled with morons" rage.

No matter what the polls say, he will make so many gaffes between now and election day he will not get 10% of the votes. My guess is more like 4-5% as a 3rd Party. And, if he were to be the GOP nominee, it would be the end of the party. We would see a new one take its place.

In other words, even if the Republican nominee is more conservative than Trump (e.g. Cruz or ) or liberal (e.g. Bush), or libertarian (e.g. Paul) or pro-life (Santorum, Walker, Huckabee), etc. they will vote with their anger, and not with their reason or ideology, per se. They will throw the election because emotionally Donald is striking the right nerve, whether it makes sense to do so, or not.

Because they see the flaws in the GOP and know the Democrats are little more than Social Democrats. They are looking for someone who says something "new" and he does that.

I think when it becomes clear Trump can't win, he'll exit. He won't waste his money on a purely quixotic venture. However, it will take some time for him to wake from his delusion.
Ambassador

Post 10 Aug 2015, 12:23 pm

Dr. Fate:
I think when it becomes clear Trump can't win, he'll exit. He won't waste his money on a purely quixotic venture.

I hope you are right, but oftentimes men with big egos don't like to go quietly. He doesn't want to be perceived as a loser.
Ambassador

Post 10 Aug 2015, 12:59 pm

Ray Jay wrote:Dr. Fate:
I think when it becomes clear Trump can't win, he'll exit. He won't waste his money on a purely quixotic venture.

I hope you are right, but oftentimes men with big egos don't like to go quietly. He doesn't want to be perceived as a loser.

So true. However, I don't know if he's ready to be remembered as a bigger Perot than Perot. If he went third party, he would be a "loser." I think, somewhere in the maelstrom of his mind, he knows that.

He will find a way to declare victory while exiting. His ego demands that.