Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

For years, liberals here have often cited Media Matters as an allegedly unbiased source and pushed back against statements and evidence to the contrary. Finally, MM has "come out of the closet." They are a political entity and are seeking to neutralize Fox News and Murdoch.

The group, launched as a more traditional media critic, has all but abandoned its monitoring of newspapers and other television networks and is narrowing its focus to Fox and a handful of conservative websites, which its leaders view as political organizations and the “nerve center” of the conservative movement. The shift reflects the centrality of the cable channel to the contemporary conservative movement, as well as the loathing it inspires among liberals — not least among the donors who fund Media Matters’ staff of about 90, who are arrayed in neat rows in a giant war room above Massachusetts Avenue.

“The strategy that we had had toward Fox was basically a strategy of containment,” said Brock, Media Matters’ chairman and founder and a former conservative journalist, adding that the group’s main aim had been to challenge the factual claims of the channel and to attempt to prevent them from reaching the mainstream media.

The new strategy, he said, is a “war on Fox.”

In an interview and a 2010 planning memo shared with POLITICO, Brock listed the fronts on which Media Matters — which he said is operating on a $10 million-plus annual budget — is working to chip away at Fox and its parent company, News Corp. They include its bread-and-butter distribution of embarrassing clips and attempts to rebut Fox points, as well as a series of under-the-radar tactics.

Media Matters, Brock said, is assembling opposition research files not only on Fox’s top executives but on a series of midlevel officials. It has hired an activist who has led a successful campaign to press advertisers to avoid Glenn Beck’s show. The group is assembling a legal team to help people who have clashed with Fox to file lawsuits for defamation, invasion of privacy or other causes. And it has hired two experienced reporters, Joe Strupp and Alexander Zaitchik, to dig into Fox’s operation to help assemble a book on the network, due out in 2012 from Vintage/Anchor. (In the interest of full disclosure, Media Matters last month also issued a report criticizing “Fox and Friends” co-host Steve Doocy’s criticism of this reporter’s blog.)

Brock said Media Matters also plans to run a broad campaign against Fox’s parent company, News Corp., an effort which most likely will involve opening a United Kingdom arm in London to attack the company’s interests there. The group hired an executive from MoveOn.org to work on developing campaigns among News Corp. shareholders and also is looking for ways to turn regulators in the U.S., U.K., and elsewhere against the network.

The group will “focus on [News Corp. CEO Rupert] Murdoch and trying to disrupt his commercial interests — whether that be here or looking at what’s going on in London right now,” Brock said, referring to News Corp.’s — apparently successful — move to take a majority stake in the satellite broadcaster BSkyB.

For those who read enough to know this, it's not news. For others, who rely on huffpo and dailykos for news, this may come as a newsflash.
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 9:05 am

Right after posting this topic, I found this analysis by the very conservative WE, which seems to indicate a legal problem for Media Matters:

Media Matters, the George Soros-backed legion of liberal agit-prop shock troops based in the nation's capital, has declared war on Fox News, and in the process quite possibly stepped across the line of legality.

David Brock, MM's founder, was quoted Saturday by Politico promising that his organization is mounting "guerrila warfare and sabotage" against Fox News, which he said "is not a news organization. It is the de facto leader of the GOP, and it is long past time that it is treated as such by the media, elected officials and the public.”

To that end, Brock told Politico that MM will “focus on [News Corp. CEO Rupert] Murdoch and trying to disrupt his commercial interests ..." Murdoch is the founder of Fox News and a media titan with newspaper, broadcast, Internet and other media countries around the world.

There is nothing in the Politico article to suggest that Brock, who was paid just under $300,000 in 2009, according to the group's most recently available tax return, plans to ask the IRS to change his organization's tax status as a 501(C)(3) tax-exempt educational foundation.

Being a C3 puts MM in the non-profit, non-commercial sector, and it also bars the organization from participating in partisan political activity. This new, more aggressive stance, however, appears to run directly counter to the government's requirements for maintaining a C3 tax status.
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 9:11 am

Being a C3 puts MM in the non-profit, non-commercial sector, and it also bars the organization from participating in partisan political activity. This new, more aggressive stance, however, appears to run directly counter to the government's requirements for maintaining a C3 tax status.

Without commenting on the bigger picture, I just wanted to say that this is an untrue statement. 501(c)(3)'s are allowed to engage in all sorts of political activity based on filing certain forms and adhering to certain financial limitations. They are not allowed to endorse specific candidates for office. They may also need to amend their IRS filings.

Ray Jay, CPA
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 9:24 am

Ray Jay wrote:

Without commenting on the bigger picture, I just wanted to say that this is an untrue statement. 501(c)(3)'s are allowed to engage in all sorts of political activity based on filing certain forms and adhering to certain financial limitations. They are not allowed to endorse specific candidates for office. They may also need to amend their IRS filings.

Ray Jay, CPA

I bow to your knowledge.

I would also say that given our current Administration, it would not matter even if it was a violation of the law. They have a remarkable capacity for pursuing politics at the expense of the law--something Bush was accused of, but which Obama/Holder has done with a minimal shrug of the shoulders.
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2011, 9:54 am

Bottom line, any liberal postings that attempt to claim MM as a neutral source are now forever lost. As stated, it was so very obvious in the past, but they (liberals) ignored facts and insisted MM was indeed as neutral as could be.
...and obvious flat out lie as the Conservatives pressed at that time,
gee, conservatives win another argument when it comes down to common sense and fact.
Dignitary

Post 28 Mar 2011, 2:42 pm

You're all missing the real story here. By deciding to work only against Fox, MM has essentially given Rush Limbaugh and The Washington Times a clean bill of health and free pass. :grin:
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 2:55 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:For years, liberals here have often cited Media Matters as an allegedly unbiased source and pushed back against statements and evidence to the contrary.
By 'liberals' do you actually mean one person?

I don't recall anyone other than Ricky linking to them (and not very often), and I don't remember that much in the way of defence of them as 'neutral. It was always pretty obvious that they were to the left of the middle.

I do like the retrospectivity though. What they do now invalidates every possible link to them ever, ever?

A left wing group act in a partisan way, and the reaction from the right wingers (going by Steve and Tom here) is to jump up and down and, ummm, act all partisan. This all helps get over the widening political gap how, exactly?

There are two reasons why my posting has slowed down in the past few weeks. Firstly I moved house and we have a lot of decorating and sorting out to do. secondly, because every politcal thread seems to be a pissing contest between the right wingers to see how much they can damn all the 'liberals' for whatever straw man it is they have a bee in their bonnet about.

Calling Min X a liberal was about the sum of it. Redscape is sliding into being an echo-chamber for the wackjobs. If it wasn't for NA being so loopily contrarian I'd not even have bothered reading much. He's wrong, but less boring.

:dead:
Ambassador

Post 28 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:For years, liberals here have often cited Media Matters as an allegedly unbiased source and pushed back against statements and evidence to the contrary.

Well, no. There have been a few.

I believe you may have called me out (some time ago), asking me to prove they were liberal.

I don't recall anyone other than Ricky linking to them (and not very often) . . .

Good point--as he rarely links at all!

I do like the retrospectivity though. What they do now invalidates every possible link to them ever, ever?

Oh, I don't believe anyone is ALWAYS wrong--even NA and Ricky hit the mark--every time the moons of Jupiter all line up to spell "Canada."

What it does is point out that they've not only always tilted, but that they only have had one purpose--and it's political, not journalistic.

A left wing group act in a partisan way, and the reaction from the right wingers (going by Steve and Tom here) is to jump up and down and, ummm, act all partisan. This all helps get over the widening political gap how, exactly?

Not at all--just pointing to a fact. I'm not jumping as it's far too hard on the knees.

There are two reasons why my posting has slowed down in the past few weeks. Firstly I moved house and we have a lot of decorating and sorting out to do.

Congratulations!

secondly, because every politcal thread seems to be a pissing contest between the right wingers to see how much they can damn all the 'liberals' for whatever straw man it is they have a bee in their bonnet about.

Well now, thank you for that balanced view.
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2011, 3:05 am

Doctor Fate wrote:
danivon wrote:

Well, no. There have been a few.

I believe you may have called me out (some time ago), asking me to prove they were liberal.
That's not the same as denying that they are. I wonder if cognitive dissonance is affecting you...
Statesman

Post 30 Mar 2011, 6:52 am

... Boy, have you got a bug up your ass Steve. I haven't sourced Media Matters in a year and a half... (Seriously, look it up)

More to the point, of course they have a liberal bias. But they are also, well were also, (I haven't read antyhing from them in a year), industrious and scrupulous about the way they constructed their critiques. Sources, evidence, examples and excerpts all ponderously laid out to demonstrate the failures of their target. (Pretty boring reading usually)
That they target Fox primarily could be that
- they have limited resources and Fox represents the greatest source of disinformation
- they are biased and Fox represents the greatest source of disinformation to the largest audience
- they believe they have to act as a counter weight to Fox because no one else does...

Either way, if they make a strong case you need to evaluate the individual case on the evidence they present. Even if they are initially biased they could be right . To judge their argument simply based on who is making the argument, is , what, biased? Even MM doesn't do that. They only go after the FOX stories that they feel are inaccurate, dishonest or unfair.And then its up to the reading audience to discern how accurate their criticism is... We report, you decide!
Frankly John Stewart does a better job with his clips, because he also entertains.
They generally leave Shep Smith alone don't they?
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2011, 7:33 am

rickyp wrote:I haven't sourced Media Matters in a year and a half... (Seriously, look it up)

Um, where?

And, no thanks. It's enough for me to know that you get all your info from MM, huffpo, and dailykos, and then post your opinions based on them.

More to the point, of course they have a liberal bias. But they are also, well were also, (I haven't read antyhing from them in a year), industrious and scrupulous about the way they constructed their critiques. Sources, evidence, examples and excerpts all ponderously laid out to demonstrate the failures of their target. (Pretty boring reading usually)

Rubbish. I could cite countless examples of them citing things out of context, but what's the point? They were the ones who came out and admitted being a left-wing organization with an ax to grind.
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2011, 7:33 am

danivon wrote:That's not the same as denying that they are. I wonder if cognitive dissonance is affecting you...

Only you and Bill Clinton don't know the meaning of the verb "to be."
Administrator

Post 30 Mar 2011, 10:02 am

A left wing group act in a partisan way, and the reaction from the right wingers (going by Steve and Tom here)

excuse me?
Those who are truly on the right would be insulted at my inclusion, yes my position on most matters is right leaning, and we all have a few outlier positions, I would not assume I am as far right as you assert:
I am pro gun control
I am pro abortion
I want out of ALL wars we are in, NOW
I want a smaller military, a MUCH smaller millitary
I am for nuclear disarmament (not complete but drastic reduction)
I voted for Hillary
I do not believe in creationism or most bible stories (Adam and Eve, Noah, Jonah and the Whale, etc)
I am all for green energy
While I support Republican party "ideals" on a national level, I support Democratic party "ideals on a local level
I am in favor of legalizing Pot and Prostitution
I could probably go on and on, but you can hardly label me as being far right now can you?
Statesman

Post 30 Mar 2011, 2:15 pm

ruff
Face it Ricky, the reason Media Matters exists is becuase George Soros is laundering his money there to wage his political war on conservatives.

Laundering money? Quite an assertion.
But of course they only exist primarily because of Soros. He is allowed to fund political activity isn't he - in the same way the Koch brothers do?
Just wondering why its so evil for him to fund something but not Koch or Rupert Murdoch?
BTW, I'm sure the rev. Moon appreciates your support all those years. Without his deep deep pockets the Washington Times would have been gone years ago. As it is it hangs by a thread without him involved these last few months.
Ambassador

Post 30 Mar 2011, 2:29 pm

rickyp wrote:ruff
Face it Ricky, the reason Media Matters exists is becuase George Soros is laundering his money there to wage his political war on conservatives.

Laundering money? Quite an assertion.
But of course they only exist primarily because of Soros. He is allowed to fund political activity isn't he - in the same way the Koch brothers do?
Just wondering why its so evil for him to fund something but not Koch or Rupert Murdoch?

Maybe because no one wants to fundamentally change the US on the scale Soros does? He funds the Open Society Institute:

OSI supports a wide array of leftist organizations, including: the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy; the Tides Foundation; the Tides Center; the National Organization for Women; Feminist Majority; the American Civil Liberties Union; People for the American Way; Alliance for Justice; NARAL Pro-Choice America; America Coming Together; the Center for American Progress; Campaign for America’s Future; Amnesty International; the Sentencing Project; the Center for Community Change; the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People Legal Defense and Educational Fund; the Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now (ACORN); Campus Progress; Free Exchange on Campus; Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington; Democracy 21; Human Rights Watch; the Prison Moratorium Project; the Immigrant Funders' Collaborative; the Moving Ideas Network; the Malcolm X Grassroots Movement; the No Peace Without Justice International Committee; the National Lawyers Guild; the Center for Constitutional Rights; the Coalition for an International Criminal Court; the Abortion Access Project; People of Color In Crisis; The American Prospect; MoveOn.org; the Gay Straight Alliance Network; the Youth Law Center; Planned Parenthood; the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy; the Institute for Policy Studies; Joint Victory Campaign 2004; the Midwest Academy; Jews for Racial and Economic Justice; Project Syndicate (an international association of newspapers that publish anti-American propaganda); the Rocky Mountain Peace Center; the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission; Earth Rights International; the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force; the Nation Institute; the Violence Policy Center; Gun Violence Prevention; Critical Resistance - Beyond the Prison Industrial Complex; the Center for Investigative Reporting; the Million Mom March; Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation; the Death Penalty Information Center, the Death Penalty Mobilization Fund; the Drug Policy Alliance; the Brennan Center for Justice; the Project On Death in America; the Death with Dignity National Center; the Ms. Foundation for Women; the National Security Archive Fund; the Pacifica Foundation; Physicians for Human Rights; the Proteus Fund; the Public Citizen Foundation; the Urban Institute; the American Friends Service Committee; Catholics for a Free Choice; Human Rights First; the Independent Media Institute; and MADRE.

A key funder of the open borders movement, OSI also supports the Mexican American Legal Defense and Education Fund; the Immigrant Legal Resource Center; the National Immigration Law Center; the National Immigration Forum; the National Council of La Raza; and the American Immigration Law Foundation.

Impressive--to a Marxist.