Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 25 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

bbauska
You won't accept equality on assistance.

This was an interesting comment to me. It made me look for information on how the US differs from what I know of how social benefits are delivered in Canada. Indeed in most of the rest of the world.
And the US is unique.
Scholars have long assumed that the United States' welfare system resembles that of its English-speaking cousins in the Commonwealth of Nations, which tend to have strong strains of market liberalism and thus favor private spending over public spending. Australia, Canada, and New Zealand, for example, all fall near the bottom of the scale of public spending on social welfare. But these countries, like the United Kingdom, devote a relatively high proportion of their spending to programs that are contingent on the recipients' having low incomes. In Australia, for instance, more than a third of direct public spending goes to means-tested programs, and in Canada and the United Kingdom, almost a quarter does.
In the United States, however, only about seven percent of direct public spending goes to means-tested benefit programs. To be fair, this figure understates U.S. expenditures on low-income people because it leaves out in-kind benefits -- benefits, such as health care (including Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program), that are provided free or at reduced cost, as opposed to direct cash transfers. Nevertheless, according to an analysis by the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, in 2010, 10 percent of entitlement spending in the United States went to the top ten percent of households, 58 percent of entitlement spending went to middle-income households, and 32 percent went to the bottom 20 percent.[/quote]

A system that doesn't target actual need seems wasteful to me... and ineffective...

Since U.S. social welfare spending is not directed primarily at the poor, it does little to reduce the country's rate of poverty or inequality.

source: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/ ... al-welfare
Administrator

Post 26 Jul 2014, 7:48 am

The word in the title of this forum is equality. I offered equal treatment of services provided to ALL citizens.

I think you do not want equality. You want the government to give some more than others.
Ambassador

Post 26 Jul 2014, 8:03 pm

bbauska wrote:The word in the title of this forum is equality. I offered equal treatment of services provided to ALL citizens.

I think you do not want equality. You want the government to give some more than others.
There is a difference between equality and equanimity. If you want to go all Marx and insist on absolute equality for all, well, that's your prerogative.

But in a reality where we need to accept that not all people have equal circumstances, absolutist equality is a mockery. The whole point of a welfare safety net is that it provides what is needed when it is needed, and sometimes some need more than others.

And having read through the last few posts, I am not very impressed with your attempt to force words into Ricky's mouth. He's not the best debater in the world, and you managed to hit a low mark. Congrats.
Statesman

Post 27 Jul 2014, 9:15 am

bbauska
I think you do not want equality. You want the government to give some more than others

You don't alleviate poverty by giving rich people more money.

I don't think I'm actually debating with him Danivon. His views are actually airy fairy libertarian fancies that have no bearing on the real sitaution in the US or any other country. I do think there is a substantial portion of the US that has similar "feelings" about welfare and programs designed to alleviate poverty. Thats why the article I linked is so revealing...

It demonstrates that there are lots of ways income is "redistributred" within the US tax code, and thruogh welfare and socail programs that benefit those who don't need the benefits.. I guess a reflection of the idea "something for everyone"...

If anyone bothered reading it ..from the article
Those interested in effective social policy could also look closely at the activities subsidized through the tax code. When budgets are tight and poverty is high, giving rich people thousands of dollars in tax breaks so they can buy expensive homes does not seem like a wise use of public resources. There is no reason why U.S. tax-based subsidies could not be adjusted according to income, with the deductions or credits getting phased out as citizens' incomes climb. Making more tax breaks refundable (instead of in the form of deductions), moreover, would guarantee that the benefits flowed to people who truly needed them, rather than to those higher up the income-distribution scale. Even after granting such subsidies, the government could continue to rely heavily on the private sector to deliver services, but it could do so at lower cost and to greater effect for a larger share of the population.

There is no easy political path to reforming a deeply entrenched status quo. Filling in the gaps of the American social welfare system to better help the less fortunate will involve limiting or eliminating some benefits enjoyed by others, generally those who are better off and far more politically powerful. These kinds of tough choices already loom, as the cost of health care continues to balloon and public finances are spread thin. But the lesson from peer countries is that the policy challenges themselves are not insurmountable: it is possible to provide better services to more people at a lower total cost than the United States does now, without massive government intervention, a dramatic loss of freedom, or any of the other supposed dangers lurking in the background
Adjutant

Post 27 Jul 2014, 10:38 am

Here is a very interesting and very informative article about 28 cities going into insolvency.
http://www.yalelawjournal.org/article/t ... mal-cities
Administrator

Post 27 Jul 2014, 7:57 pm

danivon wrote:
bbauska wrote:The word in the title of this forum is equality. I offered equal treatment of services provided to ALL citizens.

There is a difference between equality and equanimity. If you want to go all Marx and insist on absolute equality for all, well, that's your prerogative.

But in a reality where we need to accept that not all people have equal circumstances, absolutist equality is a mockery. The whole point of a welfare safety net is that it provides what is needed when it is needed, and sometimes some need more than others.

And having read through the last few posts, I am not very impressed with your attempt to force words into Ricky's mouth. He's not the best debater in the world, and you managed to hit a low mark. Congrats.

And I'm done...
Statesman

Post 28 Jul 2014, 6:16 am

bbauska
And I'm done

Why? Because you got nothing else to say on the subject, or because your feelings were hurt by Danivon?
Ambassador

Post 28 Jul 2014, 10:29 am

freeman3 wrote:Here is a very interesting and very informative article about 28 cities going into insolvency.

Yeah, it was interesting. When we were up in the Bay Area we had a coach excursion and the driver talked about all the places we went through. He was quite candid about Vallejo.
Administrator

Post 28 Jul 2014, 10:47 am

rickyp wrote:bbauska
And I'm done

Why? Because you got nothing else to say on the subject, or because your feelings were hurt by Danivon?

My feelings were not hurt.

I felt we explained our positions, and we were both entrenched.
You want no limits, no time restraints or little consequences for violations of rules. We disagree.

No sense tilting at windmills...
Ambassador

Post 28 Jul 2014, 11:47 am

freeman3 wrote:Here is a very interesting and very informative article about 28 cities going into insolvency.

Your point is what, that cities can't handle welfare or . . . is this general info . . . or . . .?
Ambassador

Post 28 Jul 2014, 12:06 pm

bbauska wrote:
And I'm done

You want no limits, no time restraints or little consequences for violations of rules. We disagree.

As I read what Ricky has written, this is a gross misrepresentation of his views.

Not agreeing with your limits is not the same thing as not wanting any limits. Not agreeing with your lifetime-based time-restraints is not the same as not wanting any time restrains. And Ricky has already repeated that he does not have a problem with punishing fraud.

It is one thing to disagree.
Dignitary

Post 28 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Is poverty in the US as big a problem as you all make it out to be? How much time have you spent in the homes of poor Americans?

I have often been in the homes of poor Americans. I would argue it is much worse to be poor now than it’s ever been. To be clear, I don’t mean material comforts. Poor people today usually have electricity, plumbing, and a basic floor of services that were not typical to the poor even 50 years ago. The problem today is that once you’re in the poverty spiral it is so difficult to get out of it. Lots of jobs today require the applicant have a credit check: bad credit often means no job. If you don’t have a regular job it is difficult to open a bank account, and if you do, you’re likely faced with the choice of being charged through the roof or living life unbanked. If you have crappy credit you’re likely paying a ton on your car note, and you need a car because you likely live in a place with no or little public transit. Unlike during most of our history, it is now OK to exploit poor people. I've written about this elsewhere on this thread: exorbitant rates on all kinds of financial services, high sin taxes and legal, government sponsored gambling. The feedback loops that keep people stuck in poverty is really what’s new with today’s poverty. [EDIT] Oh, and crappy public educations (primary, secondary and collegiate) are making poverty a multi-generational affair.

National Geographic had a wonderful article on hunger in America. The letter from the editor had a story about problem of closing school in some districts for snow days: it means most of their students don’t eat that day. There are a lot of personal stories in the article. It’s worth a read if you think about the issue and have the time:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/foodfeatures/hunger/
Last edited by geojanes on 28 Jul 2014, 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Administrator

Post 28 Jul 2014, 12:52 pm

danivon wrote:
bbauska wrote:
And I'm done

As I read what Ricky has written, this is a gross misrepresentation of his views.

Not agreeing with your limits is not the same thing as not wanting any limits. Not agreeing with your lifetime-based time-restraints is not the same as not wanting any time restrains. And Ricky has already repeated that he does not have a problem with punishing fraud.

It is one thing to disagree.

I asked him what restraints he would put on.
Adjutant

Post 28 Jul 2014, 12:55 pm

DF, I mainly posted it for general information. I posted it here because (1) that if income concentration continues we will probably see more cities struggling to get by, (2) I thought there was an interesting discussion regarding what are minimal government services that a city should provide its inhabitants, (3)what should we as a society do regarding these cities that have lost jobs, population, have decliing tax bases, declining property losses so that these cities do not turn into horrible places to live. Also, what happens when the wealthier inhabitants of Detroit move out into suburbs and work in the City--but pay no taxes to the City of Detroit. Or how about when suburbs adopt zoning so that they only have wealthier inhabitants meaning no apartment buidlings--see Lakewood example or La Canada) so that major cities have problems raising enough taxes for services?
Dignitary

Post 28 Jul 2014, 1:11 pm

freeman3 wrote: Also, what happens when the wealthier inhabitants of Detroit move out into suburbs and work in the City--but pay no taxes to the City of Detroit.

For the record, Detroit has a city income tax. Residents pay 3%. Non-residents who work in the City pay 1.5%. Many people attribute that tax (along with the absolutely terrible City services) as a contributor to the out-migration of jobs and residents.