Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 28 Dec 2023, 3:34 pm

You say Harlan Crow is giving money. That is true. Along with other mega donors on the Left side as well.

You seem willing to not vote your head for who you think is best for the country. That is a problem in the United States. People are voting against someone rather than for someone. The first time Trump ran, I voted for McMullin. GeoJanes was all for ME voting for him because it helped Mrs. Clinton. I did not consider that vote a throw away. It was a stand on ethics. That is something more people need to do.

I wish there were 10 or 20 parties. People would have to do research and decide who is the best for them. If you only want two parties, why do you think Sanders and King (both Independents) should be allowed to caucus with the Dems? Your way of thinking should disallow BOTH senators because they and not the ROYALTY PREFERRED party (sarcasm intended). Perhaps Manchin should be banished as well, because he does not meet the Party Chairman's (sarcasm again) beliefs?

It looks like a double standard to me.

My favorite question:
What happens if Biden is 15 points down or dies after the nomination? Is it legal to bring another person in?
Adjutant

Post 28 Dec 2023, 11:19 pm

Trump tried to prevent the peaceful transfer of power by fomenting violence. In my view, the only reasonable response to that authoritarian attempt to seize power is to vote in such a way as to maximize the chance that he will be defeated. THAT'S A VOTE FOR DEMOCRACY. The things you are talking about are small potatoes compared to that. I mean really we're going to vote for the guy we prefer...when the end result would be a dictator? Is that a rational decision under the circumstances? Would that have been rational in 1933 Germany?

I don't understand why a reasonable Republican would not see the threat Trump poses to democracy and act in such a way to prioritize defeating him as the only priority. Once he is defeated hopefully we can revert to normal democratic practices. But until then I would hope we are ALL democrats!
Dignitary

Post 29 Dec 2023, 7:40 pm

bbauska wrote:What happens if Biden is 15 points down or dies after the nomination? Is it legal to bring another person in?

You didn't answer his question Freeman.
Adjutant

Post 29 Dec 2023, 8:42 pm

According to social security a 81 year old male has a 7.2% chance of dying within one year. So the chances of Biden dying between August and November is less than 2% (probably less because he is pretty healthy and has access to world-class care. )That's a pretty de minimis chance. I'll take that risk over a less qualified candidate.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html#fn1

As to changing the candidate because he is losing there are dates by state that vary as to when this can be done because of deadlines of notifying the state of a party's presidential candidate for the general election. But the Democratic nominating convention is in the middle of August and changing it much after the date would be difficult because of state deadlines which vary but certainly some are close to that date. I just think a president who is presiding over a good economy against a guy who is charged with 91 felonies is extremely unlikely to not be at least close.

https://www.nass.org/node/134

Basically the argument is that somehow when Biden gets nominated it would not be clear he was going to lose and then after that time somehow he would fall way behind. I don't think that would happen to Biden and, if it did, it would clear before his official nomination and possibly his nomination could be pulled I guess (I think he might have to agree to it but if it's clear he was going to lose, he might).

We're talking at most about very, very low probabilities here.

I'll take my chances with Biden...
Administrator

Post 30 Dec 2023, 6:53 am

https://www.brookings.edu/articles/what-happens-if-a-presidential-candidate-cannot-take-office-due-to-death-or-incapacitation-before-january-2025/

That is the answer.
Adjutant

Post 30 Dec 2023, 11:08 am

For some reason, my brain didn't process the question about whether a political party could replace a candidate who died before election day. I just assumed the party could do so. I mean, why couldn't they? It's their party's candidate.

BUT there could be practical issues with getting them on the ballot in states. For example take Alabama: "A presidential candidate nominated by a political party may be placed on the general election ballot. A political party must certify to the
secretary of state no later than the 82nd day next preceding the day fixed for the election the names of the candidates for president and
vice-president and the names of the presidential electors." Interestingly enough, the Democratic convention picks the nominee closer to the convention so I wonder about the discrepancy there...but I guess the Dems aren't too worried about Alabama!

(I was also focused about whether this was a significant risk to be concerned about such that another candidate should be considered, which I thought might be the purpose behind the question; otherwise why raise the issue with regard to Biden and not Trump who is almost as old?)

And the article didn't answer the issue as to whether a party could replace a candidate who was way behind. But similar to the Eagleton resolution in 1972 I would imagine the candidate could resign and the party pick a new one.
Administrator

Post 31 Dec 2023, 7:39 am

Yes, both have a chance of assuming room temperature. 77 is old as well.

You do have to admit that 81 is older than 77
81>77 for my fellow math geeks!
You also have to admit that Biden is looking older and more blunted in his acuity. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Perhaps my wish will come true and the both of them are unable to proceed to the Presidency.
Adjutant

Post 31 Dec 2023, 11:08 am

True. According to Social Security's actuarial tables a 77 year old has about a 5 percent chance of dying in a year while a 81 year old has a 7 percent chance. But in actuality the chances of either dying are far,far less because those tables reflect the fact that most people or at least a lot of people who are around that age have a lot of health problems and take a lot of medication.

Most people die after a succession of chronic diseases/health problems that wears down their health. Both are in good health without any chronic disease or significant health problems. If either one gets sick they have access to the best care possible. I think the chances of either one dying in a year are probably less than 1%.
Administrator

Post 10 Feb 2024, 4:41 pm

https://www.creators.com/read/tom-stiglich/02/24/365606

This is how many feel in the electorate...
Adjutant

Post 03 Mar 2024, 1:20 am

CNN:

"In a private presentation the group has circulated among members and prospective candidates are two claims that No Labels officials say would be damaging to Biden, even as they acknowledge the claims aren’t true: that he is for “open borders” and that he is captive to a “far left” that “wants to abandon Israel” and is “sympathetic to Hamas."

So they want to attack Biden with false allegations...but don't want Trump to win?

Right.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/03/02/politics ... index.html
Administrator

Post 27 Mar 2024, 5:16 pm

RIP Joe Lieberman. An honorable man whom I agreed with some.

A man with bygone character. Sadly gone...
Adjutant

Post 28 Mar 2024, 12:09 am

Well, I guess I will refrain from speaking ill of the dead...
Administrator

Post 28 Mar 2024, 5:06 am

freeman3 wrote:Well, I guess I will refrain from speaking ill of the dead...

Nothing good at all? Heck, I can even say something good about Al Sharpton. Oh well, differences, I guess.
Adjutant

Post 29 Mar 2024, 7:25 am

Something good about him? I'll be charitable and try to assume that he was not intentionally trying to get Trump elected by working for No Labels...
Administrator

Post 29 Mar 2024, 7:49 am

freeman3 wrote:Something good about him? I'll be charitable and try to assume that he was not intentionally trying to get Trump elected by working for No Labels...

I agree with you. He was not intentionally trying to get Trump elected. He says so. Perhaps he was just showing what he believed.