Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 16 Nov 2022, 6:19 am

Let me be the first to say that I DO NOT endorse Donald Trump for President (of anything!)
Dignitary

Post 28 Nov 2022, 6:35 pm

I think there are a few people I could identify as possible nominees for the Rs, but I have no idea who is more than a 1% chance for the Ds, if Biden decides to step aside. Warren maybe? Perhaps she and Kamala are at 2%. There are just no obvious choices I can see.
Adjutant

Post 29 Nov 2022, 1:00 am

I dont think there will be serious opposition to Biden assuming he runs.

If he doesnt...I think Gretchen Whitmer and Gavin Newsom would be front-runners. By a lot.
Dignitary

Post 29 Nov 2022, 3:05 pm

I'd leave Big Gretch in the 1% category. Too folksy, but more importantly she's plainly stated that she has zero ambition for that office. I blanked on Newsom, I would agree he's the front-runner if Biden steps back.
Statesman

Post 08 Dec 2022, 10:34 am

Jared Polis is also a potential...

Everybody is in the 1% category till Biden says he won't run.....

Odds that he runs???? 50% ? I think depends largely on his health and energy level, and also how well things are going. If the economy is good, inflation beaten and the Ukraine war over ....with Putin beaten, cowed and maybe even dead....
He runs. And wins.

If the "culture wars" are largely out of steam, and if Trump runs (presuming he stays out of jail which is a big if) and goes after the Florida Governor..... it might be landslide time.
Dignitary

Post 15 Jan 2024, 10:08 am

*Sigh*

Remember 2022 when we thought there might be actual choices? Good times.
Administrator

Post 15 Jan 2024, 11:58 am

Memories, like the colors of my mind...
Administrator

Post 16 Jan 2024, 7:17 am

Well, it looks like the die is cast.

The matchup that no here on Redscape wants.

Biden v Trump.
Adjutant

Post 16 Jan 2024, 10:54 am

Well, if Trump or DeSantis weren't running then , yeah, I would be fine with Biden retiring. And I think he would. But Biden has the best chance of beating Trump and that's ALL that matters now. Why any non-Trump supporter cares about anything else puzzles me. I mean, maybe there would have been a better Dem candidate than Biden to appeal to the middle of the country, but I kind of doubt it and anyway that's not a risk I'm willing to take...

If Trump somehow wins there will be a lot of people regretting for whatever reasons they thought it important to vote for him...
Adjutant

Post 24 Jan 2024, 12:09 pm

From Twitter (Kaitlan Collins)

Quite the CNN exit poll. The question was, "Do you think Biden legitimately won in 2020?"

AMONG TRUMP VOTERS
Yes: 17%
No: 80%

AMONG HALEY VOTERS
Yes: 83%
No: 15%
Administrator

Post 24 Jan 2024, 12:11 pm

Are you saying that 83% of Haley voters are Democrat?

:laugh:
Adjutant

Post 24 Jan 2024, 12:15 pm

That really is the litmus test for support for Trump and unfortunately New Hampshire may be an outlier as far as how many reasonable Repubs there out there for Trump to be challenged as the Republican nominee.

By the way, independents voted 2 to 1 in favor of Haley...
Administrator

Post 04 Mar 2024, 6:36 pm

Well, the Supreme Court just struck down any chance of the states removing President Trump from a ballot.

I remember when RickyP said that a solid decision is one that is 9-0. Those are the ones that carry the most weight.

Well, Trump v Biden v a litany of bit players...

Not my first choice. The sheep have spoken.
Ambassador

Post 05 Mar 2024, 7:23 am

bbauska wrote:Are you saying that 83% of Haley voters are Democrat?

:laugh:

I think he is saying that 80% of Trump voters are delusional.

Will be voting for Haley in a few minutes ... my last chance to save this country?
Adjutant

Post 05 Mar 2024, 7:45 am

We can't even kick someone off of the ballot when a constitutional amendment specifies they can't run because they were involved in an insurrection. It is tricky to determine how that in a presidential election could be done and having individual states determine that with inconsistent results is not preferable. I think the liberal justices were too worried about that issue, though. Ultimately, Trump had his day in court in Colorado. The Supeme Court could have reviewed whether that was sufficient and whether the evidence sufficient to prove that Trump was involved in an insurrection. And if so kicked him all of the ballots in all states. That's what the 14th Amendment required. You don't have to read anything into it; it says it plain as day. And the Supreme Court decide to ignore it. Nothing on the Amendment says Congress had to do anything more for the Amendment to be effective. Obviously, whether a candidate can be kicked off the ballot will be determined in the courts. The job of the Supreme Court was to determine the criteria for determining that in the courts (type of adjudication required (trial?), sufficiency of the evidence, what's an insurrection?, what to do if it concerns the presidential race to prevent inconsistent results in different states, etc.) Instead of doing that the Supreme Court decides it will just not enforce that clause of the 14th Amendment, essentially.

And by the way, even if the Supreme Court decided how could we decide whether which different State's determination is correct or how to reconcile these different state determinations, etc? Well, they could just mandate that these ballots challenges be consolidated into one proceeding with the Supreme Court deciding (if the challenge was upheld) whether it was justified or not. And thus there would not be inconsistent results. Also, what's the real issue with inconsistent results here? If the Supreme Court decides Colorado was justified in kicking Trump off of the ballot that should be good enough; other states could keep him on the ballot. So what? A Constitutional amendment should be enforced, saying oh no it's hard to do is not a justification for not enforcing it.

Then, compounding their error, the majority 5-4 opinion decides states can never kick a candidate off a ballot in a federal election if a candidate is engaged in an insurrection. So if someone engages in an insurrection in order to kick someone off a ballot you need to have control of the presidency, control of the House, and have 60 votes in the Senate. How absurd

So basically the Supreme Court decided to gut the Insurrection Clause of the 14th Amendment. Another chipping away of the rule of law in America. Along with having a Supreme Court with some corrupt justices on it...
Last edited by freeman3 on 05 Mar 2024, 8:19 am, edited 3 times in total.