Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 25 Mar 2021, 6:51 am

"So if a third or more of people dont get vaccinated we may have to keep dealing with this again and again as the virus just keeps mutating in people who carry the virus because they wont get vaccinated."

In a very interconnected world, this means everyone everywhere need to be vaccinated. Africa, Asia, etc. At least 80%.
Things won't really get back to normal till that happens.

Interesting to see how Russia, China and India are using the provision of vaccine to curry favour in the third world. Seychelles is at 65% already because everyone wants to build an air field there.
Dignitary

Post 31 Mar 2021, 4:53 pm

geojanes wrote:
rickyp wrote:Did you have to line up and wait for a shot, or was there a reservation system in place?
Hospital? Clinic? Pharmacy?
Did they cost you anything?
Just wondering.

I made a reservation for a specific time and place. It was run by the State of NY out of the huge Javits Center, which is NYC's largest convention center. It was staffed largely by the national guard, with the exception of the nurse. It was free and they did not ask for my insurance info. Once I was inside, things went smoothly and quickly. They seem like they have enough staff to do more, but are still constrained by supply.

A big complaint is with the technology of the reservation system which is poor. I only got my reservation because I follow @turbovax on Twitter, which is basically some guy that has a bot scraping all the open time slots on the different web sites and then tweets them out. I was up late one night and some fresh reservations appeared and I was lucky enough to nab one. I expect that it will become easier to get a slot over the next month, but right now, those reservations are hard to get.

They announced at my site that they were doing 4,500 shots that day. I could certainly see them doing that many and even more if they had enough supply.

I went back and got my second shot today. There were lines because they had a lot more to give out! They had nearly 10,000 appts at the Javits Center and a bunch of those were J&J. So twice as many shots, but since some of those were one and done, doing three times the amount of good!

Still hard to get an appt since it's been opened up to everyone 30 and older, but you can, if you're patient. I recently saw a flyer for an event in a church in a hard to reach community, which said, come for the fellowship, stay for the vaccine! Lots of folks won't do the work to get the appt and stand in line, but they might go to the church in their community and stay for a one and done shot! Kudos for the thinking on the outreach and opening up the supply.

As much as the USA f*cked up this pandemic, this part of it is coming together better than most.
Ambassador

Post 08 Apr 2021, 2:43 pm

Ray Jay wrote:Freeman:
t just continues to generates variants that are a little more efficient at transmission and a little bit more deadly. I just dont recall ever facing a virus like this before.

All viruses evolve this way. They maximize survival by becoming better spreaders and less lethal so they stay in their hosts longer. Evolution at work ...

Eventually. But the intervening forms may not be less deadly. They will fail in the longer term, but at a human cost.
Ambassador

Post 14 Apr 2021, 10:58 am

Getting my first jab tomorrow.
Dignitary

Post 14 Apr 2021, 2:23 pm

danivon wrote:Getting my first jab tomorrow.

Woohooo!!! Very happy for you Dan. Today is the 14th day after my second shot. I'm fully vaxxed!
Ambassador

Post 10 May 2021, 2:39 am

geojanes wrote:
danivon wrote:Getting my first jab tomorrow.

Woohooo!!! Very happy for you Dan. Today is the 14th day after my second shot. I'm fully vaxxed!

Cool.

I had about 36 hours of symptoms (but not as bad as when I had corona back in February. My second jab is at the start of July so I will be fully vaxxed by about the same time as my birthday.

In the meantime, India looks bad. I have colleagues out there who have been sick and lost relatives, and it's not getting better. The worry is that one or more variants that has arisen is vaccine resistant, and then the world could be back to square one
Adjutant

Post 29 Aug 2021, 11:18 pm

Im not sure we're scared enough of this virus yet.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.jpost.co ... 678011/amp
Administrator

Post 12 Sep 2021, 4:15 am

https://www.city-journal.org/good-news-from-cdc-on-delta-variant-covid-pandemic

Insights?
Ambassador

Post 13 Sep 2021, 9:30 am

Everyone needs to get vaccinated for us to beat this thing. It will continue to mutate.
Dignitary

Post 18 Sep 2021, 11:32 am

From the article:

the numbers of Covid-19 cases, new hospitalizations, and deaths nationwide peaked and started to decline around the beginning of September.

From the CDC link in the article:
us-state-trends.png

We can't spike the football prematurely. While it's good to be optimistic its irresponsible to take a few day respite as the end.

Get vaccinated, save lives. Care about the 1000+ Americans who are dying every day, usually alone and often with regret over the poor choices they've made. Oh, I see we're now up to about 2,000 deaths a DAY. Get vaccinated, wear a mask, try not to hurt anyone.
Adjutant

Post 19 Sep 2021, 4:32 pm

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/19/health/c ... index.html
Dignitary

Post 19 Dec 2021, 2:28 pm

More cases Friday in NY than at any other point in the pandemic, beating the record set the day before. So depressing.
Adjutant

Post 19 Dec 2021, 10:17 pm

Omicron is for real. How are we as a country going to get this under control? Clearly, what are we doing currently is not enough.
Dignitary

Post 20 Dec 2021, 8:10 pm

freeman3 wrote:Omicron is for real. How are we as a country going to get this under control? Clearly, what are we doing currently is not enough.

Nationally, Omicron went from 12% of all cases to 73% of all cases in one week!

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions

I'm just hoping it's mild as many have speculated. Many people I know have gotten it recently, and no one is really sick. Maybe it evolves into something like the common cold. I think that's best case at this point.
Adjutant

Post 20 Dec 2021, 8:38 pm

This preliminary study says it is no milder than Delta just better at beating the vaccines (especially fpr people without a booster)

We already knew it was better at beating the vaccines given what is happening in New York.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxbus ... -study.amp