Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 2:36 am

So you want not merely to see them say it, but to know that they mean it? Without telepathy I'm not sure it is possible. If the Palestinians did not hold much by the written word they could have simply writtten whatever anyone wanted them to, surely?

The 'Jewish State' thing has problems. Of course in 1988 Arafat is quoted as saying that "we accept two states, the Palestine state and the Jewish state of Israel". Over the next five years there was considerable debate among the PLO, and there had been before then. It was not a sudden switch in 1993. Indeed, the 1988 Palestinian Declaration of Independence affirms that the 1947 partition was in line with International Law.

The issue with "Jewish State" I think is that there are a fair number of non-Jews in Israel, over 20% of the population (on ethnic lines, it is more on religious lines).

I guess the point is you are either ready to talk or you are not. Preconditions tells me you are not ready yet.
Statesman

Post 02 Sep 2014, 6:29 am

freeman
And if my interpretation is wrong it does not cost them anything to recognize Israel as a Jewish state permanently entitled to the pre-1967 borders.

But it does cost Israel something if the agreement is to the pre-1967 borders. And for that reason that aren't genuinely interested in that accord. They want to hold onto every inch they've occupied, at least every inch that they value. (see new settlements..)
Israel does not depend on the written language in a treaty for its security. Wisely.
It depends on the overwhelming strength of its military, and its 500 nuclear weapons. Israel doesn't need to have the language stipulated to the extent it claims for security reasons. What it needs is for the agreement to change its terms to be even more favorable to Israel.
The pre67 borders are not now, enough.

freeman
They have used language which seems to imply that they have done so, but I don't think they have done so. And they are relying on expansive western interpretations of what is meant by recognizing Israel's to exist to put international pressure on Israel. And it seems to being have some effect as shown by the recent anti-semitism in Europe as a result of what happened in Gaza.

Or it might be that Europeans have a sense of the situation informed by a more complete understanding of the plight of the Palestinian people than North Americans have?
If Israel is seen by so many as dominant, intransigent and bullying .... maybe there's good reason.
The right of return, is a genuine sticking point. And tied up in this is the notion that if Israel is a Jewish State somehow the Arabs wyho want to return to their former homes can be excluded from consideration because they aren't Jewish...
Adjutant

Post 02 Sep 2014, 8:20 am

http://www.nytimes.com/1988/12/08/world ... srael.html
http://www.israelnationalnews.com/Artic ... AXcOYm9LCQ
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/03/17/w ... te-anyway/

As you can see, the major concern is that Palestinians will obtain political control of Israel through Right of Return (or any other method) The issue of Arabs in Israel is ultimately a side issue and in case Israel is not going to accept the Palestinians reserving the right to intervene in their internal affairs.

If the Palestinians give up their dream of getting the land back, they will have their own state. If they don't, they won't .

Ricky, maybe you need a history lesson. Here is a history of the 1973 war where the Arabs tried and came disturbingly close to destroying Israel. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yom_Kippur_War
How about 1967 where the Arabs tried to destroy Israel. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-Day_War
Of course there is 1947 where the Arabs rejected the Partition and tried to take all of Palestine.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1948_Arab–Israeli_War
Here is a list of people killed by terrorism in Israel. http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jso ... oterr.html

The strength of a Israel does not make them immune from terrorist attacks. Peace of mind from the absence of the threat of violence is a valuable part of modern life and the threat of terrorism takes that away from many Israelis.
So please Ricky see the overall history here. (And yes I am aware of the Balfour Declaration , Sykes- Picot , and that Israel can be heavy- handed in how they treat Palestinisns)
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 10:58 am

freeman3 wrote:As you can see, the major concern is that Palestinians will obtain political control of Israel through Right of Return (or any other method) The issue of Arabs in Israel is ultimately a side issue and in case Israel is not going to accept the Palestinians reserving the right to intervene in their internal affairs.
So, address that as part of the discussions about Right of Return, and not as a precondition to those discussions. Because there are proposals to limit the impact on Israel.

If the Palestinians give up their dream of getting the land back, they will have their own state. If they don't, they won't .
And if 'the Israelis' give up their dream of a true Zionist 'Eretz Israel', they'll have peace. If they don't they won't. (to rephrase).

There are people on both sides who hanker for a single land from the sea to the Jordan river. And there are people on both sides who realise that in reality they need to compromise. We should be careful not to lump them in with their more extreme brethren because we have sympathy for the 'other' side.
Administrator

Post 02 Sep 2014, 11:13 am

Not really following the thread all that closely, but interested if the Israelis have the right to enter Gaza. If Palestinians want to right to be in Israel, is the same right afforded Israelis?
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 11:21 am

bbauska wrote:Not really following the thread all that closely, but interested if the Israelis have the right to enter Gaza. If Palestinians want to right to be in Israel, is the same right afforded Israelis?
it is a bit different...

The Palestinians who want the right to return to Israel are those who were living in what they claim to be ancestral lands and left during the 1947-8 war and their descendants. Many abandoned their homes to escape the violence and have not been compensated for what they lost, including land and property that was appropriated. To have them all go back, with the descendants, would drastically alter Israeli demographics. However, there have been proposals to allow limited number back, and to compensate the rest.

The Israeli citizens who left Gaza a few years ago were relatively recent settlers who were compensated when the Israeli government made them leave.

At the moment, as the 'occupying power' Israel exercises the right to enter Gaza with military force. So far as I am aware, we are not talking about a reciprocal arrangement for Palestine (if anything, the end to the occupation that means Israel is actually always 'in' Gaza and the West Bank).
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:20 pm

danivon wrote:
bbauska wrote:Not really following the thread all that closely, but interested if the Israelis have the right to enter Gaza. If Palestinians want to right to be in Israel, is the same right afforded Israelis?
it is a bit different...

The Palestinians who want the right to return to Israel are those who were living in what they claim to be ancestral lands and left during the 1947-8 war and their descendants. Many abandoned their homes to escape the violence and have not been compensated for what they lost, including land and property that was appropriated. To have them all go back, with the descendants, would drastically alter Israeli demographics. However, there have been proposals to allow limited number back, and to compensate the rest.

The Israeli citizens who left Gaza a few years ago were relatively recent settlers who were compensated when the Israeli government made them leave.

At the moment, as the 'occupying power' Israel exercises the right to enter Gaza with military force. So far as I am aware, we are not talking about a reciprocal arrangement for Palestine (if anything, the end to the occupation that means Israel is actually always 'in' Gaza and the West Bank).

Hey ... I've been away so haven't had a chance to post.

If you change Brad's question from Gaza to West Bank it does show an asymmetry as it relates to a 2 state solution. Namely, it is likely that there will be no Jews living in the West Bank but Israel will continue to have Palestinians. Perhaps more than now depending upon extent of right of return.

So the Palestinians would have 2 states to live in: Israel and West Bank whereas all Jews will be in Israel. An Israeli government would probably choose to not leave Jews behind in the new West Bank state out of fear they would be massacred; for the same reason Israel forced Jews to move out of Gaza when they withdrew. You may say that is the fault of the Israeli government for forcing its own people to move back to Israel proper, however, that policy seems very rational to me based on history.
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:22 pm

Danivon:
And if 'the Israelis' give up their dream of a true Zionist 'Eretz Israel', they'll have peace.

They would? I don't get that.
Adjutant

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:26 pm

Well, I will be happy to be proven wrong. Here is an update on negotiations that seem to indicate some promise. http://www.newrepublic.com/article/1140 ... -keys-deal
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:36 pm

danivon wrote:
danivon wrote:Well, some Palestinians have already expressed that they do support the 1967 borders. In fact, a major point of contention is that the Israeli government does not:

And looking at some history (but not as far back as pre-47), we find that UN resolution 242 gets quite a lot of focus. The premise of 242 was 'land for peace' - Israel pulls back to the pre 1967 borders (the "Green Line"), and the opposition agrees not to continue war. Since 1993, the PLO has signed up to the use of resolution 242 as the basis for negotiations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nat ... lution_242

Just on Resolution 242, I don't agree with this part of your interpretation:

Israel pulls back to the pre 1967 borders

That's not exactly correct. http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/view ... asp?id=603
George A. Brown, who served as British Foreign Secretary from 1966 to 1968, and helped draft Resolution 242, said:

“The phrasing of the Resolution was very carefully worked out, and it was a difficult and complicated exercise to get it accepted by the UN Security Council. I formulated the Security Council Resolution. Before we submitted it to the Council, we showed it to Arab leaders. The proposal said ‘Israel will withdraw from territories that were occupied,’ and not from ‘the’ territories, which means that Israel will not withdraw from all the territories.”

Lord Caradon, who was the permanent representative of the United Kingdom to the United Nations from 1964-1970, and was the chief drafter of Resolution 242, said:

"It would have been wrong to demand that Israel return to its positions of 4 June 1967 because those positions were undesirable and artificial. After all, they were just the places the soldiers of each side happened to be the day the fighting stopped in 1948. They were just armistice lines. That's why we didn't demand that the Israelis return to them and I think we were right not to ..."

Eugene Rostow was a former dean of Yale Law School who served as U.S. Undersecretary of State for Political Affairs from 1966-1969, and helped draft Resolution 242. He said:

“Five-and-a-half months of vehement public diplomacy in 1967 made it perfectly clear what the missing definite article in Resolution 242 means. Ingeniously drafted resolutions calling for withdrawals from ‘all’ the territories were defeated in the Security Council and the General Assembly. Speaker after speaker made it explicit that Israel was not to be forced back to the ‘fragile’ and ‘vulnerable’ Armistice Demarcation Lines, but should retire once peace was made to what Resolution 242 called ‘secure and recognized’ boundaries, agreed to by the parties. In negotiating such agreements, the parties should take into account, among other factors, security considerations, access to the international waterways of the region, and, of course, their respective legal claims.”

Arthur J. Goldberg was the U.S. representative to the United Nations from 1965-1968, and before that was a Supreme Court Justice. He too helped draft Resolution 242 and said::

"The resolution does not explicitly require that Israel withdraw to the lines that it occupied on June 5, 1967, before the outbreak of the war. The Arab states urged such language; the Soviet Union proposed such a resolution to the Security Council in June 1967, and Yugoslavia and other nations made a similar proposal to the special session of the General Assembly that followed the adjournment of the Security Council. But those views were rejected. Instead, Resolution 242 endorses the principle of the ‘withdrawal of Israeli armed forces from territories occupied in the recent conflict’ and juxtaposes the principle that every state in the area is entitled to live in peace within 'secure and recognized boundaries.'"
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:44 pm

Ray Jay wrote:If you change Brad's question from Gaza to West Bank it does show an asymmetry as it relates to a 2 state solution. Namely, it is likely that there will be no Jews living in the West Bank but Israel will continue to have Palestinians. Perhaps more than now depending upon extent of right of return.
I didn't think the Arabs in Israel were 'Palestinians', they are 'Israeli Arabs' :-)

On the other hand, what Israel wants from a 2-state solution is to retain much of the land that the settlers are on.

Oh, yeah, that's the other assymetry - the Palestinians who want to return were not 'settlers', they want to go back from whence their family came, or at least to recover what was lost. The Israelis who are in the West Bank are in the main recent settlers. Also, some of these settlements are on appropriated land (much is on 'bought land', that is true).

So the Palestinians would have 2 states to live in: Israel and West Bank whereas all Jews will be in Israel.
Last I checked, Jews lived elsewhere in the world. I don't want to confine them to Israel, that's for sure.

An Israeli government would probably choose to not leave Jews behind in the new West Bank state out of fear they would be massacred; for the same reason Israel forced Jews to move out of Gaza when they withdrew. You may say that is the fault of the Israeli government for forcing its own people to move back to Israel proper, however, that policy seems very rational to me based on history.
maybe so, but should Palestinians be fettered because of that 'rational' policy?

By the way, the pullout of Gaza was about not having to spend so much effort protected a few settlements.
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 12:46 pm

Ray Jay wrote:
danivon wrote:
danivon wrote:Well, some Palestinians have already expressed that they do support the 1967 borders. In fact, a major point of contention is that the Israeli government does not:

And looking at some history (but not as far back as pre-47), we find that UN resolution 242 gets quite a lot of focus. The premise of 242 was 'land for peace' - Israel pulls back to the pre 1967 borders (the "Green Line"), and the opposition agrees not to continue war. Since 1993, the PLO has signed up to the use of resolution 242 as the basis for negotiations.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Nat ... lution_242

Just on Resolution 242, I don't agree with this part of your interpretation:

Israel pulls back to the pre 1967 borders

That's not exactly correct.
maybe not, but I was responding to Freeman's musings that if the Palestinians would accept a return to 1967 borders (which is their interpretation of 242 and their current starting position), then Israel would be fine with that.

Clearly, as we have seen, Israel (and it seems many Israelis) would not accept a return to 67 borders, or to use them as the starting point of an equitable land-swap.
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 1:13 pm

Danivon:
I didn't think the Arabs in Israel were 'Palestinians', they are 'Israeli Arabs' :-)
Yes, thank you.

Danivon responding to me:

So the Palestinians would have 2 states to live in: Israel and West Bank whereas all Jews will be in Israel.

Last I checked, Jews lived elsewhere in the world. I don't want to confine them to Israel, that's for sure

Yes, thanks for the clarification; my point is that there would be very few Jews in the West Bank just like there are very few in any Arab country. The reality is that Arabs can live safely in Israel, but it is reasonable to believe that Jews would not live safely in a future Palestinian state.

Although it may not mean much to the Palestinian narrative, it is very salient to Israelis that about 850,000 Jews left (and in most cases they had little choice) Arab and/or Muslim countries to live in Israel. They also were never fairly compensated. (I've heard damages claims in excess of $200 billion.)

Danivon:

Clearly, as we have seen, Israel (and it seems many Israelis) would not accept a return to 67 borders, or to use them as the starting point of an equitable land-swap.

Those are 2 very different things. I don't know any Jewish Israelis who would accept the 67 borders. I would guess most wouldn't object to it as the starting point for an equitable land-swap assuming all of the other issues were resolved.
Ambassador

Post 02 Sep 2014, 1:16 pm

from a few pages ago, Danivon:
Both sides look back into history and see injustice by the other, that they can then use to justify revenge or violence or chauvanism or prejudice. And that just piles up more justifications.

That's right. You will never have justice for both sides.
Adjutant

Post 02 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm

It was not exactly my position that Israel would be ok if the Palestinians would agree to Israel with their 1967 orders. What I said was that is my belief that the Palestinian need to accept that Israel is permanently in control as a Jewish state of the land that comprises the pre-1967 borders and that the Palestinians will give up trying to get back Palestine by whatever method. I think I clarified and whatever borders are agreed on as part of the peace. Many other issues need to be resolved before there is peace including Jerusalem, security arrangements, and percentage of West Bank that the Palestinians will receive.