Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 3:13 pm

As you may have read (or witnessed), I'm going with an alternate-reality, "steampunk" design this time around with the website and also when I begin to redesign the automated maps and units. This alternate-reality will also include new nation flags and Power names.

* I WON'T be renaming any of the provinces: that would be too confusing for veteran players

* I WON'T be changing the game rules: just the starting Power names and their nation flags.

Maybe the community can help me name these new alternate-history 7 Powers? I've attached 5 of the new flags I expect to be using, but these aren't final by any means.

flag-uk.png
Victoria
flag-france.png
Burgundy
flag-prussia.png
Prussia
flag-danube.png
Danube
flag-st-petersburg.png
St. Petersburg

Post 13 Jan 2011, 5:28 pm

Chad,
Well, if it is to be alternate reality, how about some of these suggestions?

1. The Gauls resist Roman occupation and evolve into modern "Gallo", a free-spirited country.
2. Germany went through its growing pains, but decided to stick with the "Holy Roman Empire" (or HRE) way of life and government. But still a bit uptight.
3. As for hapless Italy, it eventually morphed into the united power known as "Vergilius", looking back to its romanticized past as an ongoing source of forward-looking promise.
4. In this alternate reality, England resists Rome, but cannot stop the Vikings. Canute did stop the tides from hitting soil by erecting large palisades sunk into the beach. This island cluster is still known today as "Hnefatafl".
5. The Roman Empire did much better in the East resisting the Ottomans, so Turkey retained its older name of "Byzantium".
6. Russia's occupation by the Mongols infused enough influence that the country actually evolved in rather odd ways and became known as "The Golden Horde", a name that still inspires an imperialistic gusto in its rulers.
7. Finally, Austria: Its ongoing reshaping over the centuries, along with the influences of its many neighbors, created something of an identity crisis for its people. For centuries they tried one name after another. But in an attempt to display their resistance to foreign influences and put forward a strong, powerful message, this power became known as "Schwarzenegger".

Okay, just some more ideas to laugh at.
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 7:49 pm

Mostly historic names from at least portions of the current powers...

England:
Brittania, Celtic Empire, Anglo Saxonia, Anglia,

France:
Gaul, Burgundian Kingdowm, Frankish Kingdom, Aquitania, Charlemagne Empire (Charlemagnia)

Germany:
Germanium, Saxony, Bohemia, Bohemia - Moravia, Prussia, Rhineland

Russia:
Bosporan Kingdom, Scythia, Khazar Empire, Kievan Rus, Muskovy, Soviet Union (States, Empire),

Italy:
Kingdom of the Ostrogoths, Papal States, Italia

Austria:
Dacia, Avar Empire, Habsburg Empire, Raetia, Noricum

Turkey:
Byzantium, Anatolia, Ottoman Empire, Cappadocia
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 8:02 pm

I prefer names along the lines of "Kingdom of Prussia" as opposed to "Prussia", nor do I want to use something historical like "Ottoman Empire" or "Holy Roman Empire".

I do like "Charlemagne" and "Anatolia" as possibilities; something "Papal" definitely works for Italy.

My goal is to make them as imaginative as possible, while still retaining some semblance to history.
Dignitary

Post 13 Jan 2011, 8:55 pm

Well, Austria was actually called the Hapsburg Empire or the Hapsburg Monarchy until until 1804.

Germany could be the Electorate of Brandenburg-Prussia.

I like Byzantine Empire or the Eastern Roman Empire for Turkey.

France - Gallia Transalpina
Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2011, 9:01 pm

How about...

England:
Celticania

France:
Charlemagne Empire

Germany:
Fourth Reich

Russia:
Soviet Kingdom

Italy:
Papal Provincias

Austria:
Avar/Hungarian Empire

Turkey:
Sultanate of Anatolia
Ambassador

Post 14 Jan 2011, 3:32 am

Strange idea for a variant there, renaming and altering things that have basically no impact on gameplay whatsoever, but I'll play along:

England:
The East India Company

France:
Vive la Revolution!

Germany:
Krupp: Blood and Steel

Italy:
The Papal States

Austria:
The Danube States

Russia:
The Golden Horde

Turkey:
Cappadocia
Administrator

Post 14 Jan 2011, 9:50 am

Javelin wrote:Strange idea for a variant there, renaming and altering things that have basically no impact on gameplay whatsoever, but I'll play along:

Well, I'm going to redesign the map, units and interface for the automated system and while I can make one as historical-looking (WWI) as possible, it doesn't have much appeal to me. I can always trim back whatever details I put into the "steampunk" interface and change the units flags/appearance to make a 'default' Standard Diplomacy variant, but I thought I'd start with one that takes on the quasi-historical theme I've already started with the website and explore a H.G.Wells, Jules Verne, Edgar Rice Burroughs-based theme. There's little historical basis once the game of Standard Diplomacy starts (no trench warfare lines, no pre-existing alliances whatsoever, England can be conquered, etc), so I'm not feeling I need to restrict myself to a WWI-theme anymore (besides, I've done that for most of 10 years and I'm primarily restricted to an array of b&w images and/or the color avatars I have for characters).

So, new quasi-historical Powers that Be I'm searching for! :devil:
Administrator

Post 14 Jan 2011, 12:19 pm

How about combing Habsbergs with Avars = Habarvian
almost sounds like some meat eating dinosaur?
or maybe Danubia?

Anglo Saxons + Britania = Anglo Britania

Soviet Union with all the "Stans" that were part of the USSR = Sovietstan
or Sovietistan

Prussia + Bohemia = Prusshemia

Papalia or Vatican Empire, Catholic Empire?

Vichy Gaul for France?
Vichy Charlemagne?
Something with "Vichy" is pretty cool.

and I really like Sultanate of Anatolia mentioned earlier