Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 04 Feb 2021, 8:19 am

Many people I know have received a vaccine. Have you?

If not, when do you expect to get your first shot? I said back in December my over/under for my first shot would be March 15 and I'm sticking with that. I'm not in a priority health or occupational category, but I'm highly motivated in a state and city that spends a lot of public health, so I'm still hoping that's possible.
Adjutant

Post 04 Feb 2021, 12:05 pm

Nope. And not any time soon, either. We are still in the 75 and older age group. Then it will go to 65-74 and then it will get to my age group. I think March 15 would be optimistic for me.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Feb 2021, 12:11 pm

My wife got hers (public school teacher). She's been remote but they go back in a month. You may have run across a viral video of a teacher-hater reaming out the school board (Loudoun County, VA) for not having kids in school. The asshat was interviewed by the likes of Beck & Tucker. The guy has said some terrible things about teachers in the past. They're lazy, should be fired, have their pay cut in half, etc... A real piece of work.

I'm on the list but don't have a scheduled date yet. I'm in the 1B category of adults with medical conditions (Type 2 diabetes). Hopefully I'll have it by the time my wife has to be back in the schools. I think you can still be a carrier even w/ the vaccine.
Ambassador

Post 05 Feb 2021, 4:24 pm

Nope. In the UK they are prioritising by age and critical vulnerability. My friend who is my age and has a chronic lung condition got his first dose last week. My dad who is over 70 hasn't had one yet but apparently should do in the next few weeks.

Me, I expect not to see anything until late summer.
Last edited by danivon on 23 Feb 2021, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dignitary

Post 13 Feb 2021, 8:30 pm

danivon wrote:Me, I expect not to see anything until late summer.

Yikes. I'm hoping the J&J vaccine gets approved before the end of the month and that breaks the long jam. One shot, and they're just across the river. It would be hard to wait until late summer. Mentally, I mean.
Ambassador

Post 23 Feb 2021, 9:13 am

Well, my parents have both had a first shot, and the government are now saying all adults will be offered a first by the end of July. And have announced the plan to unwind lockdown over the next few months to June.

So I should be fully vaxxed by the end of September

However, I currently have Covid - caught it from my toddler who got it at nursery. So far, mild for Covid (a heavy cold, really tired and achy, no sense of smell and very little taste), and neither my wife not my other kid are showing symptoms, but keeping an eye out.
Dignitary

Post 27 Feb 2021, 12:02 pm

danivon wrote:However, I currently have Covid - caught it from my toddler who got it at nursery. So far, mild for Covid (a heavy cold, really tired and achy, no sense of smell and very little taste), and neither my wife not my other kid are showing symptoms, but keeping an eye out.

Oh, man, that sucks Danivon. To be in locked-up for a year and then to get it right before the vaccine is rolled out to you. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!!

In my case, I've gained so much weight in quarantine (I like to call it my Covid-15) that I'm on the borderline for being fat enough to qualify for an early vaccine. Part of me is like, "no you should let others who have real conditions go first." Another part of me is like, "I needs me some of that vaccine!"

I checked appts today, though, and there are none available, so the decision was made for me.
Ambassador

Post 01 Mar 2021, 9:12 am

geojanes wrote:Oh, man, that sucks Danivon. To be in locked-up for a year and then to get it right before the vaccine is rolled out to you. Best wishes on a speedy recovery!!
I seem to have been lucky - am back working now and the rest of the family are good. Keeping guard in case of any relapse though.

We haven't been locked down for the whole time. In August we even got a week holiday on the coast - there was social distancing but the pubs were open, as well as the amusements for the kids. lots of hand washing and disinfectant, with indoor masks, but we weren't locked in. it started to lock down again in November, and even then my kids have been in school & nursery most of the time since September.

In my case, I've gained so much weight in quarantine (I like to call it my Covid-15) that I'm on the borderline for being fat enough to qualify for an early vaccine. Part of me is like, "no you should let others who have real conditions go first." Another part of me is like, "I needs me some of that vaccine!"

I checked appts today, though, and there are none available, so the decision was made for me.

It's a bit different here - everyone is in a group based on risk, and they are doing each group in turn. You can't really get a jab outside the NHS so there's question of queue jumping as far as I can see. It's more that there's regional variations as some places are moving quicker through their lists than others. They recently realised they needed to increase the priority for adults with learning difficulties though.
Dignitary

Post 01 Mar 2021, 6:42 pm

So glad you had an easy go of it Dan.

danivon wrote:It's a bit different here - everyone is in a group based on risk, and they are doing each group in turn. You can't really get a jab outside the NHS so there's question of queue jumping as far as I can see. It's more that there's regional variations as some places are moving quicker through their lists than others. They recently realised they needed to increase the priority for adults with learning difficulties though.

While the rules vary by state, in NYC qualifications can be due to both health risk (which includes being too heavy!, along with a host of other conditions, including age,) or occupation, which includes people who work in grocery stores and restaurants, along with health care workers and teachers and a bunch of local gov't workers. But they don't ask for proof in NYC, you have to self-certify that you have a condition or occupation that allows you to get the vaccine, and not everyone tells the truth. Or at least that's what I heard . . .
Adjutant

Post 03 Mar 2021, 2:23 pm

Interestingly enough, I should become eligible on March 15th due to underlying heart disease. I will get a shot as soon as possible. Yeah, I exercise some but this Covid weight gain sucks. Got weighed at the doctor's office at a cool 202 pounds...
Dignitary

Post 03 Mar 2021, 2:56 pm

freeman3 wrote:Interestingly enough, I should become eligible on March 15th due to underlying heart disease. I will get a shot as soon as possible. Yeah, I exercise some but this Covid weight gain sucks. Got weighed at the doctor's office at a cool 202 pounds...

I hear that. Most of my exercise was walking around town. I don't go anywhere anymore, so my activity level crashed.

I got a vaccine appt for March 10. If it unfolds the way I expect it to, my over/under estimate of March 15th was pretty good! Hoping for J&J, one shot and done!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Mar 2021, 9:13 pm

I'm set on Saturday for the J&J 'one and done'. :woot:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Mar 2021, 5:05 pm

I need to check for one. My job puts be up teir as I work manufacturing(at least currently, shipping books and paper). but the last time I tried I didn't find any appointments and I may be changing fields depending on how the job hunt goes, so I haven't pushed to try yet.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Mar 2021, 5:14 pm

The line should be moving a lot faster now with the inclusion of the J&J vaccine. It was quite an efficient and impressive operation out here.

I had a slight headache that evening but otherwise, no side effects.
Dignitary

Post 11 Mar 2021, 2:38 pm

geojanes wrote:I got a vaccine appt for March 10. If it unfolds the way I expect it to, my over/under estimate of March 15th was pretty good! Hoping for J&J, one shot and done!

Pfizer. I need to go back at the end of the month.