Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 02 Apr 2015, 8:58 am

SLOTerp wrote:Teams are possible as well, but we'd need a fourth to make it 2 on 2.

This game is incredibly fun!

I'm very interested, but just don't have the time right now. Wishing and hoping for another recession so I can have some time to indulge my fun deficit!
Dignitary

Post 03 Apr 2015, 6:21 pm

geojanes wrote:I'm very interested, but just don't have the time right now. Wishing and hoping for another recession so I can have some time to indulge my fun deficit!

Come on George, it takes about 5 minutes a day. Surely you can find 5 minutes..... :wink:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Oct 2015, 5:22 pm

Any more Redscapers out there wanting to play this great game? It doesn't have to be a time-killer. When I'm active, I check in a few times a day and only spend a couple minutes on it. If I'm playing Brad, I may check in more often - we can knock out a game in a few days.

We could set up league play with eight. Ok, we'd need like five more for that but... c'mon!

http://www.youplay.it
Dignitary

Post 17 Oct 2015, 3:09 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Any more Redscapers out there wanting to play this great game? It doesn't have to be a time-killer. When I'm active, I check in a few times a day and only spend a couple minutes on it. If I'm playing Brad, I may check in more often - we can knock out a game in a few days.

We could set up league play with eight. Ok, we'd need like five more for that but... c'mon!

http://www.youplay.it

I used to play WS&IM a lot. It was always a fun game. Before I would jump into any league play, I'd like to get comfortable with the interface and how the rules are adapted. Perhaps you could put together a scenario for 2 or 3 ships. Password the game and let me know what it is called so I can find it. Okay?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Oct 2015, 5:45 pm

Cool!

I set up a private game with password 'Diplomacy'. It will close in 48 hours. If you can't get to it by then, I'll just set it up again. Two on two, identical ships on each side.

I am in no rush for league play. You're basically playing 7 concurrent games - that's a bit much for me right now. There is a message board in the game - use it liberally, especially for game questions.

Playing WSIM makes we want to go back and re-read all of Patrick O'Brian's books!

I noticed one of our Speed Circuit drivers is on the site as well. Tim, if you ever want a game, ping me with an email.
Dignitary

Post 17 Oct 2015, 8:16 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Cool!

I set up a private game with password 'Diplomacy'. It will close in 48 hours. If you can't get to it by then, I'll just set it up again. Two on two, identical ships on each side.

I am in no rush for league play. You're basically playing 7 concurrent games - that's a bit much for me right now. There is a message board in the game - use it liberally, especially for game questions.

Playing WSIM makes we want to go back and re-read all of Patrick O'Brian's books!

I noticed one of our Speed Circuit drivers is on the site as well. Tim, if you ever want a game, ping me with an email.

Okay, thanks. Have you read the Lord Ramage novels by Dudley Pope? Also from the same period, they are also really good stories and I think his knowledge and ability to capture the essence of sailing wooden ships is excellent. At least, that's how it comes across.

George
Dignitary

Post 17 Oct 2015, 8:25 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Cool!

Okay, thanks. I just took a turn, I hope!

Have you read the Lord Ramage novels by Dudley Pope? Also from the same period, they are also really good stories and I think his knowledge and ability to capture the essence of sailing wooden ships is excellent. At least, that's how it comes across.

George
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Oct 2015, 9:21 pm

I haven't run across those novels nor have I read the Hornblower ones, also recommended to me. I was planning on getting to the latter sometime in the future. Have you read them? If so, which do you think are better and why? I like good storytelling more than accurate historical detail.

Watch those rakes - they can be devastating.
Dignitary

Post 17 Oct 2015, 9:55 pm

SLOTerp wrote:I haven't run across those novels nor have I read the Hornblower ones, also recommended to me. I was planning on getting to the latter sometime in the future. Have you read them? If so, which do you think are better and why? I like good storytelling more than accurate historical detail.

Watch those rakes - they can be devastating.

To get close you sometimes have to get some bruises! But I'm not sure how firing works.

I've read all 3 of them; but there are other series, as well. The Hornblower series more or less set up the genre, though Hornblower was also based, in concept, on earlier story series of the self-rising young hero (e.g. Horatio Alger). I'm sure that David Weber was inspired by Hornblower when he wrote his Honor Harrington books.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Oct 2015, 8:54 am

Scenarios with more ships tend to result in close-in fighting. Wait until you get to boarding parties - melees are incredibly destructive.

By the way, I always use 'Basic' rules which include melees & drifting. You can set up 'Simplified' rules that exclude those.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Oct 2015, 2:42 pm

One thing I haven't done with this site is use the experimental advanced rules. If anyone wants to try, I'd be happy to give it a go. It's on a separate site although logins are the same.

http://youplay.it/beta/play/main.asp

Critical hits
Ammo choices
Full sails
Advanced firing (sectional)
...and some other stuff I may not fully understand.
Administrator

Post 19 Oct 2015, 4:14 pm

SLOTerp wrote:One thing I haven't done with this site is use the experimental advanced rules. If anyone wants to try, I'd be happy to give it a go. It's on a separate site although logins are the same.

http://youplay.it/beta/play/main.asp

Critical hits
Ammo choices
Full sails
Advanced firing (sectional)
...and some other stuff I may not fully understand.

Just started Flambough Head scenario...
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Oct 2015, 5:14 pm

Ok, I've signed on...
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Oct 2015, 5:44 pm

George, I set up another game with 3x3. Unfortunately, I set that one to simplified rules. I created a 2nd with basic rules, although that one is 4x4. Pick one or pick 'em both (or pick none if you don't want to play).

Same password: Diplomacy
Dignitary

Post 20 Oct 2015, 6:18 pm

SLOTerp wrote:George, I set up another game with 3x3. Unfortunately, I set that one to simplified rules. I created a 2nd with basic rules, although that one is 4x4. Pick one or pick 'em both (or pick none if you don't want to play).

Same password: Diplomacy

4x4 supports boarding, right?