Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 29 Apr 2014, 10:07 pm

freeman3 wrote:Yep, it's just Freeman...Named after my grandfather Freeman who got that name for reasons that have been lost...I've heard that name is a little less rare in the northeast and my dad is from Amesbury, MA.
Just look for the good-looking guy in glasses, Tom....
I am a little touched that Steve is being so nice...I bet that he has not used liberal and smart in the same sentence before (maybe smart-ass liberal!)..of course he just said I looked smart :smile: ...I have been in trial all day and I don't feel that smart right now...
Seems like there a lot of Redscapers who don't live too far from North Carolina...You know it isn't often that you can be named the best diplomacy player in the world...
I'll have to say this about my other world dip con: (1) the skill level was pretty darn high, it was really high quality gaming, (2) and less positively, I hated the 4 player draws that some players liked to arrange. What is the point in playing if you're going to do that?

1. There are plenty of intelligent liberals. Sadly, they're missing the gene for common sense. ;)

2. The scoring system is generally responsible for the players' chicanery. Dixie is all about paring the draw, so a 4-way is a lackluster result.

3. Upper tier Redscapers can hold their own anywhere. You guys are good.
Administrator

Post 30 Apr 2014, 5:35 am

Unless It's the last game and my position really matters (unlikely!), I will not be taking part in any sort of arranged draws. The way I play:
1. To Win
2. To Have Fun
3. When a win is not possible, how best to screw my opponent
4. If screwing my opponent is not possible, then how to reward a close ally
5. Screw the points

fyi, any idea how many people usually enter? I have no freaking clue what to expect! You could tell me we will have 4 tables, you could tell me we will have 400 tables, I'm thinking somewhere between the two but I really have no idea!
Ambassador

Post 01 May 2014, 3:17 pm

GMTom wrote:Unless It's the last game and my position really matters (unlikely!), I will not be taking part in any sort of arranged draws. The way I play:
1. To Win
2. To Have Fun
3. When a win is not possible, how best to screw my opponent
4. If screwing my opponent is not possible, then how to reward a close ally
5. Screw the points

fyi, any idea how many people usually enter? I have no freaking clue what to expect! You could tell me we will have 4 tables, you could tell me we will have 400 tables, I'm thinking somewhere between the two but I really have no idea!

I would guess somewhere between 7 and 11 boards.
Adjutant

Post 22 May 2014, 2:55 pm

Taking the red-eye out to North Carolina tonight...
Ambassador

Post 22 May 2014, 3:16 pm

freeman3 wrote:Taking the red-eye out to North Carolina tonight...

Woot!

I get in about 11 tomorrow morning.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 May 2014, 3:23 pm

Have a great time guys. We expect a full stab-by-stab account of your weekend.

Represent!
Administrator

Post 23 May 2014, 2:13 pm

Just got in a half hour ago, I did a quick look to see if Freeman or Dr Fate were here yet. I just missed DF but will head down in a bit (things start in less than an hour)
Adjutant

Post 25 May 2014, 4:22 pm

At the airport...flight is delayed...would like to say that I did well but that would be a lie, which is what I was hearing from most of my dip neighbors this weekend...

To recap my games:

Game 1: I played Russia. Not my best country, I think. It did not that England was a two-time world champion, Austria only won one, and Turkey had won Dixie Con (Steve said he was probably only in the top 15 in the world. So there was a western triple that lasted a very long time, EG slowly pushed me back and the east combined to stop them. I was eliminated after 1908.

Game 2: I was England. This game really wasn't fair. France and Germany had played in ftf games with each other before and they did a Sea Lion. My defense was pretty good but Italy would not attack France. That was ok...but he also took Munich and even had two armies moving against Germany. I get that he wanted to keep Germany weak so that FG would not go after him before he finished with Turkey...however it left him vulnerable to an Austrian stab (which happened) and it allowed Russia the freedom to attack me when ordinarily he would have been worried about FG and could have helped me. I was out early

Game 3: I was Austria. This was the one game I played poor. I was tried having only 4-5 hours sleep combined over 2 nights, playing late Friday, getting up early playing round 2 during the day, and then playing another game at 6. I should have been paying attention to Italy's (fake) willingness to do a Key Lepanto ( I have come to conclude that this is a bad opening. Turkey was my best potential ally but I don't an AT. So I forced a Key Lepanto and Italy and stayed there. I just did not think at this level that an Italian player would attack without having an agreement with Russia (he did not). Anyway, I was out early again

Game 4: I was France. This was my best game. I opened to the channel but bungled it. I was going to open Bre-eng, par-pic, mar-bur but at last second I changed my orders because I started worrying that if Germany did do the agreed upon in Burgundy then I would not get any Iberian centers. This really weakened my attack against E and created an EG...but I defended well EG, sneaking a fleet into Irish when E convoyed to Picardy. Then Italy started helping them until G stabbed E. Then AI and me had to stop a German solo and we set up a stalemate line. Austria and I voted an IG draw because we did not care

Summary: I would not do this again unless I started to play a lot of diplomacy again. You have to be quick at reading tactical decisions, you have to read people, you have to get into how they play so more often than not you make the right calls on the inevitable guesses. Games can turn on a well- though-out tactical guess. I was definitely rusty.
The venue was good, well-run, a lot of great players (especially from Europe) but I would have to be more involved in playing diplomacy before I would do it again (dip con ok, world dip con, no )
Good to see Steve and hear his dip war stories and good to meet Tom, he's a very cool guy and we commiserated with each other about our lack of success
Ambassador

Post 26 May 2014, 1:24 pm

The one problem at an event like this is that you rarely get the kind of social interaction away from the game board that you'd like, although we did have a big lunch Sunday with about 10-12 of us. I spoke with both Freeman and Tom a couple of times, but we didn't really get to spend that much time together. It's a shame we didn't wind up in a game together.

Round 1: The TD (David Hood) asked me ahead of time if I would mind being part of a special game--some kind of NPR thing. I (stupidly) said I would do it. So, the assignments come. I'm France (great!), but England is Andy Bartalone and Italy is Chris Martin. The last time the three of us were anywhere near each other, the game was a fiasco. So was this one. Toby Harris (UK) was Germany. Now, I'll just say those three guys are all as good or better than I am. The NPR guy was Turkey. The other two players were players with less experience (and, dare I say, stature).

The sideshow was that Ambassador Dennis Ross was observing the negotiations of the NPR reporter/player and offering his insights. He had never played the game before, but clearly knows something of DIPLOMACY in the real world. The game was slowed greatly as we were being recorded, etc. We opened with a Triple that really wasn't a Triple. I went after Martin, building two fleets and moving to Wes in Fall 1901 at England's suggestion. The problem was that it seemed a rather unlikely Triple. So, I changed direction in 1902 (at Italy's urging) for a zero-dot stab. This was easily my worst game of the weekend. I was eliminated as EG hung together and Italy was getting pummeled. Eventually, the game ended in a 6-way draw.

Before he left, Amb. Ross said something to the effect that what the government has to train ambassadors and consulate personnel to do (interpersonal communications, identifying mutually beneficial strategies, etc.) we (players) do instinctively. He said the game would be an excellent tool to help them train. He seemed genuinely intrigued by what he saw. Nevertheless, I was disheartened by my performance.

Round Two: I drew Italy. I opened against Austria (to Tyl, then to Vie), but he made a few good moves and it turned into a slog. Eventually, I wore him down, but Turkey and France were moving my way. France (an old hand getting back into the hobby, Jim Yerkey) had sent a fleet to help me fend off Turkey and that worked, but France also was getting huge (although not at my expense). In the end, I saw "we" (the East, as I switched sides to prevent the solo) could nab Munich. That ended it. The tournament system was draw-based and I made sure to be included in the 3-way draw even though I only had 6 centers. How did I do that? Because there was no way Turkey could stab me and not hand the game to France, so I played that to the hilt, vetoing a 2-way draw. Overall, I was happy with my diplomatic play, even if my tactics were not as crisp as I would like them to have been.

Ambassador

Post 26 May 2014, 1:25 pm

Round Three: This board featured the eventual tournament winner (Tom Haver) as Italy. I was Turkey. I thought this would be good for me. Tom led the tournament and "everyone" was out to stop him. Perfect!

Um, no. Russia (someone who seems to dislike me in R/L) said he was going to Bla. So, I agreed to bounce. He went to Rum instead. I thought that odd, but he said he changed his mind last-minute. Italy had opened to Tri and there was no bounce in Gal. It seemed pretty standard--until the fall. Italy moved Ion-Aeg, so clearly I was facing an AIR. In fact, Austria had given me a bit of a tip just before the deadline, so I tried a convoy from Con-Sev. During the adjudication, Russia admitted he had changed from Sev-Arm to Sev S Rum just before the deadline. That convoy could have changed the game.

Skipping over the gory details, let's just go to Fall 1903. At this point, EF have been pounding Germany, but he's still at 4 sc's and EF have been pretty ineffectual. In fact, England lost Nwy to Russia and didn't bat an eye. France would have F Spa (sc) and F Bre H for most of the game. I tried everything--getting them to form a Triple, begging France to send Spa into the Med, asking England to go north. They were indifferent.

So, Fall '03: I have F Bla, A Arm and A Con. They have a unit in Smy and a Fleet in Aeg. They want Russia to use F Rum to cut Bla so that Bul-Con is guaranteed. Italy is talking to Russia at the board with me sitting there (no fear). Russia says, "I can't do that. He'll take F Bla and push it into Sev with Arm support. I said, "I've already written. I did not do that." Russia says, "Okay," and writes Rum-Bla. Well, I told the truth: I didn't write that. I wrote F Bla C A Con-Sev with Arm supporting. So, I got Sev.

Oh, but it gets better. In Spring 1904, I order Sev-Rum with Bla supporting (I still owned Sev and Ank). I not only take Rum, but I annihilate the Russian fleet. In the fall, I keep them out of Sev, but Russia dislodges me from Rum. However, Austria was scattered and I had my choice of retreating to Bud or Ser. Budapest here I come!

So, I lasted five years, playing against an AIR that had NO Western opposition at all.

At one point, the player of England saw me smirk (I think it was around 1904 after the convoy). She said, "It's not my fault," referring to the way I was being eliminated and the lack of progress EF were making. I said, "All I know is: it's not my fault." I was playing my butt off tactically. I have no idea how EF had such a rough time given that Germany built 2 armies in 1901--so he could not cover Hel, etc.

Did I get eliminated? Yes, but try taking on an AIR that won't even negotiate while EF are fighting G and won't lift a finger to take pressure off of you.

Round Four: Here everything came together, but I had a really tough draw. First of all, Russia is not a favorite country to play. Second, England was Dan Lester, who is not only a brilliant player, but also was in a position to win the tournament if he could get a solo. Germany was Doc Binder, a World champion (Lester, while British, has won the NA Diplomacy championship). Turkey was David Norman, another Brit, who, while quite clever, can also be a handful to ally with because he is so clever. Austria was Adam Silverman, a pretty fair player. Italy was Nate Cockerill, another Dipcon champion. So, this board was loaded. A player of less stature, Eric Grinnell, was France.

Right off the bat, Norman comes to me and suggests he'll give me Bla IF I agree to convoy him into Rum in the fall. I readily agree as it gives me all the room I need tactically to move an army north. Normally, I don't prefer that as Russia, but Lester is truly great and I know I"m going to have to keep him from getting huge.

I stabbed Norman, taking Con in the fall, got bounced from Swe, foolishly built A Mos and F Sev, and spent the next few years playing defense in the north while working to eliminate Turkey. We had Norman out at the end of '03 and managed to hold EG off when I came up with a set of moves that caused the Spring 1904 disbandment of German armies in Lvn and Pru. That sealed the game.

Austria and I stabbed Italy and we ended on a 3-way: F-A-R (9 supply centers each). Tactically, it's one of the best games I've ever played. I think I won every guess in the north and saw things they didn't. When we (Austria had an army in Sil) piffed those armies, I felt as though I'd won Dipcon--that's how exhilarating it was. These were not run-of-the-mill players and I had kicked their tails (tactically speaking). That was worth the trip alone
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 May 2014, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the after-action report fellas. Let us know when the TD's publish results, pictures, & commentary.
Ambassador

Post 26 May 2014, 6:01 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Thanks for the after-action report fellas. Let us know when the TD's publish results, pictures, & commentary.

They're on FB. It's an open group. WDC 2014
Administrator

Post 26 May 2014, 8:10 pm

I never played face to face before. I was not prepared for this type of game, especially against such talent! Over the weekend I played against some of the biggest names in the hobby and while that was in no way "intimidating" (it's a freaking board game for crying out loud) it was impressive and pretty cool!

Anyways, I was ill prepared and not ready for things and it showed, I played like a total newbie.
I drove, woke up at 3:30AM and drove straight through, what should have been 11 and a half hours turned into 13 and I got there at almost 5PM. The tourney starts at 6 so no big deal but I was bushed and a bit frazzled still from DC traffic! Anyways, no excuse for my poor play, just saying....

Game 1 I drew France
I decide to work against England, he's a big talker and apparently a world renowned player from Scotland but the German and I are in the same boat and I quickly find he's in over his head waaaay more than me, too bad to because I had just landed a fleet in Liverpool, how cool is that? Problem is Germany is flaky and Italy decides to screw me over and takes Spain. I pulled out of Liverpool (it was Spring) and fight Italy with all I have. Well, it may have worked because I earned respect from England who ends up doing very well and he takes me along to the end, I had to agree to a three way draw I was not a part of! But I survived. (barely) the game ended at just after 1AM and some of my orders were making no sense, my mind was jelly by then. I later found out one of the games went till 3:30AM, If I were in that game, I simply would not have made it!

Game 2 I draw Austria
Edi Birsan is Turkey. I have no problem with this but Russia is gung ho to stop the big name player and I agree, what the hell? Well, he decides to instead not commit fully to the plan and I end up getting spanked by Edi, but it was me who let him off the hook and he RAN with it! I was eliminated early, maybe 1PM but this allowed me to take a nap and get caught back on missing sleep and I had the chance to walk the village, Chapel Hill is very pretty! I also had an opportunity to get some soda and gas up for my return trip home ahead of time so the early elimination worked well for me and I simply didn't like a few of the players in the game.

By now I'm getting kind of down about this whole thing. and as Steve said, we generally have NO time to get to meet others, explore the town, socialize outside the game, etc. I figured most of the people would be total nerdy geeks and while we certainly had our share, I was shocked to see the majority were normal guys and quite nice and likeable! While I did meet Steve and Freeman, we simply didn't have time to talk and I wish we had! In fact,, a funny side note here, The game is played a t a private dorm, each dorm room shares a bathroom with another dorm room, a jack and jill set up. The last morning going down to our final game I finally meet my "roommate" ....it was Freeman this whole time!

anyways, Game 3 I draw Turkey
I don't think I EVER played Turkey, how that happened I have no idea but maybe one time 10 years ago I did? At least I have a total noob in Austria and a young kid in Russia. We decide to attack the newbie!
But the last moment Russia says he needs to send more force up north to Counter England. Turns out England and France are two big names, one was Doc who Steve just talked about, the other was Manus Hand. These guys were great to play with and we had a ball! (I'm feeling much better now!) anyways, Russia changes plans the last moment, I still have not stabbed Austria so I point out how the time is perfect to set Russia up for a killer move, it's year 2 and Russia is way too strong in the north, we got him! Nope, Spring 02 and Austria is worried about Munich!? He passes on the stab and now I am in no mans land and while Russia remains loyal, he can only help a flopping fish for so long before he stabs me with Austria. Manuas, Doc and I all end at the same time and head out for drinks. We were among the first eliminations but over time, more and more people come sauntering in. Some guys from my game two sit with us and I find out they JUST finished game two....it started at 9am and it's now nearly midnight! (they missed out on game 3 all together)

Sunday morning rolls around and I decide, if I can leave by 3PM, I'm getting home. I hate to drive all day and have to go to work the next day, I need a day to decompress! The tourney director mentions having fewer games and he will try this and that so I later tell him I am in no way bailing out and will play this out, but I have played poorly and if it helps him arrange boars, if he needs to remove a player, I would be happy to be that first player taken out. He understands and says I'm willing to take one for the team and yeah, that's my feeling as well. Turns out my offer was appreciated and helped him out, I got to leave on Sunday!

While I will not do this again, it was something I wanted to do for a long time and if I did not do this, it would always eat at me so I am glad I gave it a shot! If others decide to do something like this, I urge them to do it! They may very well feel the same as me but at least they tried it and learned something from it. I would also suggest if they do, try to get some practice FTF games in beforehand, it was a freaking rude awakening for me! The two games are so vastly different!

and again it was awesome getting to meet Steve and Freeman, I do wish we had more time!
Adjutant

Post 26 May 2014, 9:56 pm

Enjoyed your recaps, Steve and Tom. Yep, it would have been nice to play on the same board, probably would have had a better chance!
Ambassador

Post 27 May 2014, 7:10 am

freeman3 wrote:Enjoyed your recaps, Steve and Tom. Yep, it would have been nice to play on the same board, probably would have had a better chance!

Definitely.

To Tom (and Freeman): I would encourage you both to see if you can get some local gaming. One of my "friends" (well, he was on my team after all) lives in San Diego. He went to "meet up" and found a local boardgame group. Within a few weeks, he had two full boards playing Dip at his house.

It can be done!