Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 Mar 2024, 6:17 am

Anyone have an e-reader, like a Kindle or Kobo? If so, which one do you own, and what do you think about it?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Mar 2024, 8:15 am

I've used the Kindle Paperwhite for close to a decade and love it.
Administrator

Post 08 Mar 2024, 9:31 am

I have a regular kindle. It is great and saves space in an RV. I prefer actual hard copy, but the space trade off is worth it.
Adjutant

Post 13 Mar 2024, 10:01 am

I've had several kindles in the last few years. I like that the 11th gen Paperwhite is waterproof (I'm guilty of reading in the bath at times). My first was a Kindle Keyboard from about 2009 or so.

So none of you has ever owned one of the other brands of e-readers; just Kindles?

I agree with your comment about the space saved by having less physical books. My only beef is that some books are very expensive; particularly new or almost new books. The Lord of the Rings is almost $20, ditto a few others that I like. Sometimes they are the same price (or greater) than the trade paperback or hardcover editions.

That in mind, I have discovered the pleasures of used bookstores. But then again they take up shelf space. I had so many books on Kindle, many of them cheap ones, that I deleted some. I think when I got the thing I went on a book rampage.
Adjutant

Post 14 Mar 2024, 10:52 pm

What stuff do you guys like to read on Kindles?
Administrator

Post 15 Mar 2024, 5:02 am

Biographies, my Bible, and Historical-based Fiction.

Richard Feynman's biography is my latest.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Mar 2024, 7:54 pm

Mostly historical fiction, especially age of sail stuff. I just wrapped up the ~20 books in Dudley Pope's Ramage series. The one disappointment is that the detailed maps are near impossible to see. These are bedtime reads for me which is what, in my mind, the kindle is great at.

Anything hefty, I get in in paper or hardback.
Adjutant

Post 16 Mar 2024, 12:38 am

agreed.

I have The Lord of the Rings for Kindle because it's easier to carry the kindle around than a 1,000+ pp print book. But the maps in LOTR don't show up well. Hopefully future models will have a better way of viewing pictures and maps.

I like historical fiction, and also history. There's a great book out recently called Weavers, Scribes, and Kings by Amanda Podany; about ancient Iraq-area (Mesopotamia, Sumer, Akkad, etc.) and this other book I was interested in called The Lost World of Byzantium I think those illustrations show up all right on Kindle. But other Kindle books usually do not.

I actually pared down my book total both in print and Kindle e-books. I now have 26 books left on it. A couple books on mutual funds (I like reading investment books for some reason).

That sounds like a lot of reading Mike! 20 volumes, wow.

BBauska: what historical fiction do you like? I've got The First Man in Rome by Colleen McCullough (previously an author of romance novels, but not the trashy ones). It's the first in a long line of books called "The Masters of Rome" series. (The end of the republic basically).
Administrator

Post 16 Mar 2024, 5:18 am

All quiet on the Western Front
Team of Rivals By Goodwin
Masters of the Air (Better than the movie!)

Side note: Clavell's Shogun was remade into a miniseries. I love it! It is my latest binge!
Adjutant

Post 16 Mar 2024, 6:59 pm

Brad, do you mean the recent one on Hulu? Or do you have the one made a long time ago?
Administrator

Post 17 Mar 2024, 5:00 am

I liked the one a long time ago. Yes, I am that old...

The new on on Hulu/FX is even better. The acting is top notch!
Adjutant

Post 22 Mar 2024, 4:25 pm

I started to watch it on Hulu. However, you cannot divert your attention for even a second, because it's mostly speaking in Japanese with subtitles. At least so far it is that way, except the European characters speak English. For one who can get distracted now and then, it's a little annoying. Still, though, I fully intend to watch the whole thing. But I still have ~400pp to go in the book, which I had been reading off and on for almost a year now. So I might not watch it all----yet!

I had a year of Japanese in high school and really liked it. On Goodreads.com, there is a lively discussion about how accurate Shogun is. There seem to be some vastly differing views.