Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 09 Aug 2020, 1:45 pm

This is the story of how I got lucky at Yas Marina. I did enough things right, and avoided enough of the wrong stuff, that I was still there at the end, narrowly ahead of the rest of the field.

It starts of course with the car design. I marveled at the trio of 80 - 80 cars, and counted myself lucky that I was racing against them, because I thought that was a BIG expenditure of design points for stuff which was nice but not essential. Sure one would use the 80 accel on move 2 -- but afterward? Doubtful. Also that huge decel. Concentrating on the essential instead of the "nice" or "fun" left me with 60 - 40 - 160. Start speed I usually don't buy, and this time again I thought I could do without as long as I could clear the first corner on move 2. That left me with a full house of wear and skill. I was clearly going to roll a lot of dice (and pray).

My start bid of 3 was perfect (and lucky) for the circumstances, getting me into the second row. Actually I had guessed third row, which would have been sufficient.

Move 2 had me clear that first corner by two spaces. I felt I needed to keep up with the neighbors. I spent as necessary to stay halfway close to the second-pack leaders, figuring that the first pair would "come back to earth" at some point.

Turn 13 I rather nastily stuffed James, although I did warn him in advance, verbally on the open Zoom channel, "I'm going to drive quite aggressively here". I spent 2 wear in the process, not exactly optimal, but got within one move of the race leader, up to 4th overall, and closed out a couple of cars behind me. End lap 1 I was in 4th, had spent 7W on the track (and 3 in the bid), with 14 in hand. 3 dice rolls so far, the start, and two late-brakes.

Early Lap 2 I'm dueling with the 3rd place green car (Stephen, I think). Chris Long running clean air in the lead (but he started the lap with only 7W), and we'll behind 2nd place Chris K (started the lap with 11). Get through the hairpin just one space behind 2nd and 3rd, leader only 7 spaces ahead. With one slip, and test top (2 skill), stay in the fray, careful with skill & wear every move. Lose a place or two in the corner 6/7 complex, conserving wear... my race notes tell me I had a bad sequence. 5th commencing the start/finish straight.

Starting the last lap, Leader Chris Long only 1 W, 2nd place Stephen 5W, 3rd & 4th Chris K 3W James with 4, I have 6 and am poised to gain a slip.Dave is behind me in 6th but has to clear the final corner yet, he's got 6W, I'm looking ahead not back. it's turn 29, leader Chris L just crossed the start/finish and Stephen has his nose across it. I'm 10 spaces behind the leader.

The 140 Slip makes covers the straight in one move. 1W in corner 1 puts me into 4th. Aggression on the straight gets me into third, Chris K only plotting 120 against my 140 going the long way around. I'm 2 spaces behind 2nd, 3 behind 1st.

Time to GO FOR IT. I plot 100, ready to spend 4w and a chance, perhaps with a forced pass -- only to be thwarted by timid driving up front leaving me no way to clear the hairpin. Ack! Spend 3 wear anyway and LB to 80, thinking, "there goes my chance to win this thing."

Clear the hairpin the next move, but now the two leaders are nearly a full move ahead. However, leader Chris L blows his accel from (60 to 40). Going into the back straight chicane, I'm 5th with 2w, 2 spaces behind the lead. The very definition of tight racing!

We 5 clear the corner. Immediately after, Chris L blows his engine trying to over-accelerate, so suddenly I'm 4th.

Turn 39, approaching the left-right corner 5 at high speed, I think to myself "you didn't roll chance last time, you still have that -3 red chip to use -- go for it? Yeah!" So I go for it. 120 pus a slip plus my last wear and a chance (success!) puts me clear first -- by a nose ahead of Chris K and a space ahead of Stephen and James. This is great, I carry nice momentum onto the short straight -- only to get caught before the next corner. Ack!

<<Missing Photo of us piled up before corner 6!!>>

I had grabbed the inside in front of the corner, which is probably suboptimal when the car next to me also has no wear. If both go at safety speed, then I move second and have lost initiative. So I roll chance again, applying my last two skill -- and pass again. PHEW! That locks it for me, nobody can catch me. Phew!

So that's the story of "How I got lucky at Yas Marina". I survived 10 dice rolls. Each had skill applied. Two of them were chance rolls, one -3, the other -2. Not sure the overall odds, but I was lucky. The competition was tight, and intense.

Thanks Mike Polcen for running this, and thank you my fellow competitors for providing the fierce racing.
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 13 Aug 2020, 2:44 pm

Nice write up Rando.

From what I remember it was a good race and I was more or less happy with how my race was panning out. I too thought the bad luck at the hairpin on lap 3 had reduced your chances somewhat. I thought I was in a good position to fight for the win once Chris L's engine blew, but your 2nd ballsy move paid off, which on balance after the 1st failed was probably a fair result.

Then in an last corner attempt to gain 2nd I lost 3rd, overall still a good result in a higher class of field than I'm used too!