Gents, post your comments here.

Mine...

Build: Ok, 13 cars on a track meant for no more than 10. I figured most would go for the front with big start speeds and bids so I zigged while they zagged (hopefully). I'm going to try to run from behind with 20ss, a big but not huge car, and lots of wear. Besides, I like the flexibility of 60/60 cars. No top speed though, not at Imola. Good – just John and I with 20 SS.

Bids: I always like to throw a skill or two in from the back just in case it might gain me a row. I did absolutely not expect it to gain me 7th position. Extreme value out of that 1 point bid, right behind a bid of 6. It won’t do me a lot of good with the 60’s and even a 100 ss behind me but I won’t be in last. I quickly fall from 7th to 9th off the start but I'm further up than I had expected to be, pre-race.

Lap 1: My goal in the first lap is wear preservation and efficiency. I do pretty well, only spending wear in Tosa, Rivazza, & the chicanes. I have 19 left going into lap 2 and only slipped one spot (10th).

Lap 2: I start pushing up in lap 2. John, Jeff, and I have big wear advantages and I start my push before they do. I want to be in a position to do some passing as the third lap begins but I can’t do it from way back. Jeff has the same idea, catches up to me, but then mis-plots coming out of Rivazza. By the start of lap 3, I’m in the secondary chase pack (9th) with twice the wear of anyone around me.

Lap 3 (first half): On Turn 33, I use my big chip to force pass Bruce, in spin recovery but blocking. I also pass Chris in that first corner, who is suffering from exhausted tires. I don’t see Jim or Don spending wear (3 & 4 left, respectively) in Villaneuve so I go for it and drop 2 to pass them. I still have 6 wear left. I’m in 5th place with only the primary chase pack in front. There’s that nifty little maneuver through Tosa that can allow you to appear out of nowhere – end on the inside 40 at 80 and you can rocket out at 120. I’m too far away... dang. At this point I figure if I’m going to be on the podium, I need to take a risk. I careen into the Tosa 40 at 100 and put 2 chips in (I’m safe w/ a 3!). Now I can zoom out at 140 and I’m with the front-runners.

Lap 3 (last half): I’ve got Dave, Cody, Mario, & Claudio in front. I can’t beat Dave – he still has wear, will cross one turn before me, and is too good to screw it up. Cody is out of wear and I have twice what Mario & Claudio have. Maybe 2nd. It’s hard to pass cars in this sector so I’ll hold my powder for Rivazza. It helps that I have a pretty good idea of how my Italian friends drive* but I know less about Cody’s driving. I guessed correctly in the run-up to Rivazza and would be able to exit the complex in 2nd with no real threat to lose it.

Congratulations Dave on an extremely well run race. Cody, a nice finish to complete the podium. I’m not sure we’ve ever raced together – I look forward to the rest of the season with you. Last but not least, thanks to Jack for guiding us through this treacherous track.

See y’all in the Black Forest!

Mike