Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 22 May 2012, 4:41 pm

One way to look at the old scoring system is that it's all benchmarks- small and large. Now we're moving from a piecewise function to a continuous function, so the large benchmarks seem much more out of place. And I'm not sure what advantages the provide.

Maybe the question is this: do we want to reward a very strong individual performance over a larger group of moderate performances? Currently, if I have two WRs who each get 50 yards, and you have one with 0 and one with 100, you win. Should that be the case? My inclination is no, but maybe there's a good reason.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 May 2012, 6:20 pm

I'm not going to mount a feisty defense of the 2-point bonus benchmarks - when I created the league I just thought it was a cool addition, nothing more. Having said that, those benchmarks (100 yds receiving / rushing & 300 yds passing) seem to be used frequently in player analysis by the talking helmets, giving them some notoriety. I still think they're pretty cool even if there is some mathematical elegance lost when we go to decimal points.

It does put a premium on star players & breakout performances - ok by me. Is one Calvin Johnson (2011 avg = 105 yds/game) worth more than Torrey Smith (53 yds/game) and Johnny Knox (52 yds/game) together? I know my answer!
Dignitary

Post 22 May 2012, 9:41 pm

Is one Calvin Johnson (2011 avg = 105 yds/game) worth more than Torrey Smith (53 yds/game) and Johnny Knox (52 yds/game) together? I know my answer!

Well yes of course, because he only takes up one roster spot. You didn't answer my question, though! Are he and 2011 Jerry Rice (i.e. someone with 0 production) worth more?

Quite possibly because of TDs, but just in terms of yards, I wouldn't think so.

What would the fantasy baseball equivalent be? An extra W if your starter gets 10 Ks? An extra R if you get 10 total bases?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 May 2012, 4:48 am

CJ + Rice are much more interesting than... than... than... now who did I say?

The only things common to fantasy baseball and fantasy football are 'fantasy' and they are played by sports geeks.

If you really don't want them, we can put it out as an amendment. I like them but not beholden to them.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 May 2012, 5:07 am

Of course the real games of baseball & football are also very different, as well explained by George Carlin:

Baseball v. Football