Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 07 Sep 2017, 2:46 pm

I have to say...that while George's strategy has a high floor, there is a relatively low ceiling. Maybe he could pull off that strategy (if everything goes right and I think he had one year it did--before I came back--though he did not win a ring) when there were only 14 teams and there was only one elite team (Matt)...but with 16 teams and when Josh and Nick have gotten so good, I am perplexed why George would continue with the anti-keeper strategy. I suspect he could contend if he just adjusted--before the league went to keepers he was a perennial contender--so it's a bit perplexing why he hasn't.

By the way, I don't how we let Nick pick up Cody Bellinger. Speaking of having competitive managers..that wasn't being competitive. Nick picked him up...AFTER he was called up. No way should the #7 prospect who was hitting .343 with a .650 slug at AAA being sitting on the waiver wire. I'll take my share of the blame...but I wonder why no one stashed him?
Adjutant

Post 07 Sep 2017, 6:55 pm

I picked up Bellinger before he was called up. I stashed him really early in the season. I wasn't expecting him to be promoted until later in the summer. He probably should have been owned. There's a high opportunity cost to using roster spots on prospects, as Corey found out this year. If he hadn't used five roster spots on prospects all year, he would have made the playoffs. Of course, if he had made the playoffs, he wouldn't have been able to fleece Mike for Lindor so...
Adjutant

Post 07 Sep 2017, 9:35 pm

Sure...if you think about stashing a prospect...George is waiting to start a gazillion pitchers against you! But, yeah, it's tough having non-productive prospects when you are trying to compete. They give you nothing now...while your opponent might be using his spot for a player who helps him in some fashion.

It's tricky having too many prospects to start a year, too. Their failure rate is high...so you don't want to be counting on them too much. I think Mike had a problem with that one year. And I have to think about the right balance to strike there. I love the talent there...but can't have too many that you're starting and hope they pan out.

More than anything...Bellinger reminds me that I was not paying enough attention early in the year. You can't tell me that it's not in a team's best interests to stash a guy that is that promising in one of your 6 slots. Normally, I would definitely be keeping tabs on a top 10 prospect who was putting up big numbers in AAA.

The post-mortem for my team was that my offense under-performed. Fowler and Cespedes were hurt, Frazier was bad, Carlos Gonzalez was REALLY bad, and Swanson did not pan out. That's about half my guys who did not produce. I actually did pretty well with my pitching, but hitting was supposed to be a strength! So I figure it is time to reboot a little and get a little more talent into the team.
Adjutant

Post 13 Sep 2017, 10:18 pm

Overall I don't think there is any issues with how any employs a pitching attack. You tempt the DL gods by not carrying hitters on the bench and also if you start forcing restrictions on the number of players you can carry on the bench you can make teams uncompetitive or force them to drop guys that are worth holding onto only for someone else to pick them up and stash them on their DL just because you're running into a lot of injuries at a given time. I felt like I was carrying a minimum of 3 injured pitchers all season and this led to me being loaded up on pitchers and when it came time to win some offensive categories at the end of the year I couldn't even field a full offense once they started getting hurt.