Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Sep 2016, 3:47 am

Post-race comments and suggestions for future rules adjustments, etc.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Sep 2016, 3:55 am

First, I had a LOT of fun running this. I thank you guys a lot for participating and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did.

For future tweaks I have the following ideas:
- Definitely re-write the x3 skill rule to make it clear that each driver only gets 1 per competition and not 1 per lap.
- Invert the field for lap 3 instead of lap 2 or decide whether to invert the lap 3 field by a dice roll, something like 2-7 not inverted, 8-12 inverted. That way no one would know how it will go until it's time to line up.
- Laps 2 and 3 use "rolling start." Cars will be considered moving at 40mph at the start. This gives a normal acceleration speed of 100 on the first turn or you can push to 120. But doing so would bring slipstreams into play for trailing cars.
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 15 Sep 2016, 6:42 am

Thanks Jim this was a fun and unique experience.

I thought that the idea that we were magically running a 3-lap race where each lap took place on a different track was a fun idea.

My biggest suggestion would be to review the central conceit of the series and how it jives with rules choices. Below are some things I thought were either inconsistent for me or just something I thought about.

BUT please do not feel like the number of words here is a measure of criticism. It IS a measure of the fact that I think about CFR too much.

1) Race restarts...

This is easily the thing I've thought about the most in relation to this series. There was something unsatisfying about them for me but I can't pin down why and I think possible solution hing more on where you want to take the concept.

* If you wanted to be strict about the conceit, we would not stop each lap. Instead as soon as you crossed the finish line you would be effectively teleported to the start line of the next track. This would clearly play out a bit differently than the current set-up but I think it could also be interesting.

IF you went this direction, I would suggest handing out a full 3-laps worth of wear and skill at the start of the race and then cut-out scoring each lap... the winner of the full 3-lap race is the winner.

I think that would be fabulous.

* If you stick to the restarts, I think it would make more sense to tweak the conceit to more of a Tour de France style race with stages. But then I think you give people a new 3-skill chip every lap. Or do as you suggest and specifically state that this is effectively a rule change.

* The idea of a rolling restart with lap 2?... I don't know. I kind of feel like, if you want to use rolling restarts, just use them the whole race/series. Why just lap 2 and 3? I think the idea is that it is more in keeping with the conceit but I don't think it really adds anything one way or another to the race.

2) Grid...

* I think pole bidding is an essential part of the strategy in CFR. So I'm always a little pained when it's not there. I think pole bidding would work fine in this series and will always be my default suggestion for how to seed a grid.

* I did not mind inverting of the field each race. I'm not sure what is gained by not inverting always or randomly unless you are concerned about someone tanking a race on purpose to get pole.

* Possible alternative: seed grid for lap 2 based as you did this series and then seed the grid for lap 3 in inverse order of current standings in the series.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Sep 2016, 6:16 am

The race

First, thanks to Jim for a great race concept, administered flawlessly. We're lucky to have you at Redscape. Bravo!

What a field. Every driver in this race is highly skilled, presenting quite a challenge to all of us. Giuseppe ran a great race and took the chance at the appropriate time. Yes, his dice were better than mine (I don't think I would've had to take that last chance roll if my brakes had held out earlier) but that is not an excuse. It's part of the game and he deserved the win... well done!

The concept
I really like most of what you created, Jim. Taking the top GP finishers and running one lap from each of the GP races was genius. One of my most favorite races I've run at Redscape.

Like Doug, I think the track transitions could be improved. I like Doug's idea of transporting from one track to another at speed. If you think of it more like a rally race, you can get around the reality problem. If you do it that way, it also justifies the single big chip.

I also think you should use the traditional pole bids. The initial ordering really seemed to favor the front-runners - I'd rather see us all start as equals and have to give something up to get the pole.

Anyway, these are only suggestions; keep things as is or make changes to your liking. Either way, I would enthusiastically accept an invite if I were lucky enough to get one again.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Sep 2016, 7:48 am

I thought of something else. Especially if we go to four circuits next year, but also with the three this year, use a wild card method to fill the field. The winners of each circuit automatically qualify and the remaining spots are filled by the drivers with the most points across all circuits. First tie breaker would be the higher (lower number) circuit and if more tie breaks are needed that would mean two or more qualifiers from the same circuit so the GP tie breakers would handle that.