Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Apr 2014, 7:12 pm

Correction to chart: Brad plotted 80 but could only go 60 mph.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Apr 2014, 10:17 am

Still not much separation as we navigate the corners. The S-curve is coming up followed by the fastest part of the racecourse. Kal, get your butt out of my way!

Turn 5 Summary

Kal keeps the lead and takes the RL in corner 4 at + 20 mph, using a wear in the process. Mike makes a bold move to take second place going through corner 3 at + 40 mph (2 wear) and is ready for the RL in corner 4. Dan comes through the RL in corner 3 and sets up behind Mike for corner 4. Dave moves before Brad (inside position) and goes through the 60 mph lane of corner 3 at 80 mph (1 wear). Brad take the RL through corner 3, pulling in behind Dan.

Turn 6 plots due Wednesday, April 9th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT5.gif
Turn5.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Apr 2014, 10:24 am

S-curve ahead! I'm not sure what the blue line is for but if it's the half-way point, well then... we're halfway done.

Turn 6 Summary

Kal completes his racing line and prepares for the S-curve in lane 2. Mike keeps burning wear and finally catches up to Kal. Dan plays it safe through corner 4 using the RL. Brad zooms through corner 4 at +20 and is forced to use the 80 mph lane as he is otherwise denied completion of the RL by Dan. Dave NPR'd (No Plot Received)* and was safely driven through the RL at 80 mph.

*This is actually a good learning tool - the RM will plot a safe route that avoids any wear and/or skill point usage. Another note on incomplete orders: Brad did not designate a corner preference so I first attempted the RL followed by the 80. While he may have wished to burn 2 wears through the 60, I had no knowledge of it. I think when we get to a real race, I'll ask all the drivers to use the excel template to be sure I receive complete orders.

Speaking of a real race, it's probably time to start thinking about some things (I'll break out a new thread on this):

- Do you plan on racing? No offense taken if you don't wish to participate - your taking part of this test earns my utmost gratitude already!

- Which three courses should we choose for the first Redscape Grand Prix?

- Are there additional rules we wish to add or tinker with? Pit stops, tires, etc...

Turn 7 Deadline: Friday, April 11th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT6.gif
Turn6.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Apr 2014, 10:30 am

This is what people are coming to see - the BEST turn yet!

Turn 7 Summary

From the inside lane, Mike moves first through the S-curve at + 20 mph on the 40's. Kal, moving second, also takes the 40's at + 20 mph but chooses the chance table (with -2 skill points) instead of using wear. He rolls a modified 7: SPINOUT! Spinouts occur in the first numbered corner on the path which, in this case, causes problems for the field. Dan is able to skirt the spun car on the outside lane and uses a wear at + 20 mph. Brad's aggressiveness this turn (attempting a + 40 mph through the S-curve) worked against him as he had to slam on the brakes to avoid a collision. Brad rolls a '6' (no modifiers) on the braking chart, causing no harm. Dave also pays the price for Kal's folly and is forced to emergency brake as well. With no modifiers, Dave rolls a '4' and all is good.

As a result of this turn, there are a few things that caused me some consternation:

1) Brad's plot would have cost him 2 wears if successful but due to the braking he ended up at + 20 mph, not + 40 mph. My interpretation was this: Brad entered the 60 mph corner at 100, costing him 2 wear. He was forced to brake down to 80 but the wear were already spent. Thus, he still expends 2 wear.

On the other hand, Dave's plot would have cost him wear if he had entered the S-curve as planned. But, unlike Brad, he did not actually enter the corner due the emergency braking. No wear was thus expended on a corner he never actually entered.

2) Dave's plot was not clear on which RL he was using: a) The one he was coming out of, in which case he would not be able to use the RL in the S-curves. b) The S-curve RL, in which case he would have to jump off the one he did not complete, costing a wear there. I ended up plotting the corner 4 RL, given the other option would cost a wear.

The first issue is a rules interpretation and if not otherwise proven wrong will stand going forward.

The second issue is one of proper ordering. There is obviously a fault in the order template (Dave did use it), that must be addressed in situation like this.

Speaking of ordering, though Kal did not use the template (his orders are very clear so no problem), here is a copy of turn 7 orders. Note the use of conditional orders - something that makes my life very easy!

If the 40 speed limit spaces are free, I want:
Speed: 60 mph
Lane: S,1,2
Wear: N
Skill: 2
Cornering: 40-40-out
Slipstream: N
Pass: N
Block: Y

If one of the 40 speed limit spaces are blocked, I want:
Speed: 60 mph
Lane: S,2,1
Wear: N
Skill: 2
Cornering: 60-60-40 or 40-60-60, whichever route is open.
Slipstream: N
Pass: N
Block: Y

Basically, the intention is that I want to go diagonal through the 40s at 60 and end 1 space beyond the corner, in a lane that allows me to Slipstream you next turn if you blaze through even faster, or lane 1 preferred, lane 2 if you are in lane 1.

If for whatever reason one of the 40s are blocked - I want to go through the corner spaces in this order 40-60-60 or 60-60-40 at 60mph.

Using +2 skill for cornering this time to save my wear and give in to chance for once.

Turn 8 Deadline: Monday, April 14th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT7a.gif
Turn7.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Apr 2014, 10:38 am

Woot!

Turn 8 Summary

Mike takes it easy going into the large straightaway with a commanding lead. Dan completes the S-curve at 80 mph (wear charged in turn 7) and pulls up to the inside lane for corner 6. Kal accelerates to 60 mph from his spin, completing the S-curve in the 60's and pulls in behind Dan. Brad slows down through the rest of the S-curve and is ready to accelerate out. Dave spends 2 wear weaving through both the S-curve 40's and the traffic to pull alongside Dan.

Notes: Like Dan, Brad could've gone 80 mph to complete the S-curve without a penalty (you pay for the curve once, not each turn)*. I wish he had because then we would have had our first forced pass attempt!

*Dan, thank you for reminding me of this rule. Brad, sorry I did not remind you of this as I had forgotten myself.

It is not a foregone conclusion that I will win this race. I've only got one wear to spend, I can't take advantage of my top speed (do the math), and there is one BIG curve in which you guys could take chances. You have nothing to lose since it's a test lap and we're not allocating points for finish. I expect to see some spectacular crashes!

Turn 9 Deadline: Wednesday, April 16th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
Monaco8.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 10:55 am

You guys are looking kind of small in my rear view mirror. There is something pink back there...

Turn 9 summary

Mike turns it up to 160 mph on the straightaway, putting more distance on the field. Dave is hell bent on catching up and goes + 40 mph through corner 6, costing his final wear and a successful roll on the chance table (using his -3 token). Dan conserves his wear and cruises through corner 6 at a most reasonable 100 mph. Kal burns some wear at +20 mph through the corner and pulls up alongside Dan. Brad, in an effort not be left behind, takes a chance at + 20 mph through the corner and wildly spins out of control (using his -3 token in the process). This race looks to be over for the blue car.

Note 1: I plan on publishing the car plots once I find a format that both makes sense and is concise.
Note 2: I placed my car in the wrong lane (it should be in lane 1, not 3). Since I can get to the outside racing line from any lane, I won't bother with the correction.

Turn 10 Deadline: Friday, April 18th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT9.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 11:10 am

On that lane error I made: As you enter the area before turn 7 please be aware of the perspective shift on the inside lane. If you want to take the outermost racing line, be sure to consider that in your plots.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Apr 2014, 6:05 pm

Note to test lap drivers:

When we did car builds, the 1 point skill token totals should have only been 1/3 of what we bought in the chart! That total (6, 9, 12, or 15) is for all three laps combined. We have waaaay too many sp's for a one lap test. The 3 point skill tokens are correct.

When building your car for the Grand Prix, keep this in mind.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Apr 2014, 9:13 am

I figure four turns left...

Turn 10 summary

Mike heads into corner 7 on the racing line. Dave maintains speed, allowing Kal's Intimidator to pull alongside. Kal exceeded his top speed by 20 mph and rolls the dice for engine damage. He comes out ok after applying 2 skill tokens to the roll (modified 3). Dan goes to his top speed and pulls in behind Dave with a slipstream opportunity. Brad can only go 60 mph as he comes out of his spin.

Turn 11 Deadline: Monday, April 21st @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT10.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 21 Apr 2014, 10:50 am

Ah, the comfort of three lanes...

Turn 11 summary
Mike must be saving his wear for the final corner (yes, I can verify this) and cruises through the 80 mph RL at 100. Kal moves next by virtue of the inside lane and burns one of his last two wear to take the 60 mph RL at 100 mph. Kal will be able to accelerate out of the corner next turn. Dave takes the 80 mph RL at 100 but must finish the corner in turn 12. Dan uses his last two wear to take the outside 100 mph lane at 140. Dan, in the same row as Kal, is also unrestricted next turn. Brad... well, Brad is enjoying the uncongested open road.

I am getting quite concerned about those cars in my mirror...

[Edit] Thank you, Kal, for catching your over-deceleration. Kal safely tested his brakes (unmodified 6) so the adjudication stands.

Turn 12 Deadline: Wednesday, April 23rd @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT11.gif
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 Apr 2014, 9:52 am

All as expected...

Turn 12 summary
Mike uses his last wear to enter corner 8 at +20 mph. Kal covers the medium length straight in one turn and pulls in behind Mike for a potential slipstream. Dan keeps up with Kal and grabs lane 2. Dave has to use an RM plot (NPR) which means no RL. He jumps out to the 100 mph lane and finishes in lane 3 per the NPR rules. Brad completes the long straight and is ready for the RL in turn 7.

Turn 13 Deadline: Friday, April 25th @ 12 noon EDT or 4 p.m. GMT
MonacoT12.gif
Ambassador

Post 25 Apr 2014, 5:24 am

SLOTerp wrote:I'll go check out paint.NET. I don't use Chrome but it doesn't mean I can't if your test of Pixir is positive.

To follow up on this - I'm switching to paint.NET officially, after just 2 turns. It's a good idea, but the paint-bucket tool on Pixlr is really touchy and updating territory colors isn't working.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 25 Apr 2014, 6:26 am

My IT department installed Photoshop on my desktop at work (where I do most of my adjudications). I've learned to do what I need and can get the tracks done pretty quick now.

I'll be using a Macbook during my summer travels. I think we have a copy of Photoshop Elements somewhere around here or I could use GIMP (quirky but I'm getting used to it). Paint.net is for Windows so that's out.

Speaking of summer - would you be willing to adjudicate a few turns? I don't have specific dates but we'll be out in the minivan during July and into August (as far west as South Dakota). Mostly staying with relatives so I don't expect many blackout days.
Ambassador

Post 25 Apr 2014, 8:05 am

SLOTerp wrote:Speaking of summer - would you be willing to adjudicate a few turns? I don't have specific dates but we'll be out in the minivan during July and into August (as far west as South Dakota). Mostly staying with relatives so I don't expect many blackout days.

Potentially, yes. I will also be on vacation mid-late august where I know that access will be an issue. I should still be able to send in plots.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 25 Apr 2014, 10:54 am

No real drama at the end but a very enjoyable experience nonetheless.

Turn 13 summary
Mike exits the 100 mph corner into lane 2. Kal follows at the same speed, burning his last wear. He gets the slipstream and pulls alongside Mike in lane 3. Dan takes the 80 mph lane at +20 mph and passes his chance roll (modified 5). Dave pulls up to the last corner while Brad completes corner 7 on the RL. There might be a fight for 4th place!

Turn 14 Deadline: Monday, April 28th @ 12 noon EDT (4 pm GMT).
MonacoT13.gif