Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 Aug 2015, 8:36 am

Please post your thoughts on the race here. My analysis is forthcoming.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm

Preface
I’m a tactician, not a strategist. I don’t know what builds are best for what tracks, where the best starting position is, or whether I should run from behind or front. I am an opportunist – if I see an opening to pass cars or create slip opportunities, I take them. I’m not shy with the wear and I’m not patient. That tends to keep me towards the front. I think the furthest back I got in this race was 8th and that was only 1 turn.

Build
I chose a fairly strong car with good tires at the expense of SP. With the short track and being only the first race of three, I didn't foresee a lot of dice rolling. Kal and Brad built an identical car.

Bid
I thought the bid of 4 would get me 2nd or 3rd row. 3rd row – good enough.

Lap 1
Turn 6: Mistake. I’m usually pretty aggressive to gain track position. Why did I wimp out?
Turn 13: Dropped 4 wear so I could get through K/A in one turn. This could have gone very badly but it turned well and possibly a key to my good showing.

Lap 2
Tim B. put some distance between us and at the halfway point, like Rando, I thought I was good for 4th and maybe 3rd. After Cody damaged his engine, I was pretty solid for 3rd.
Turn 25: Spent a couple wear to get through K/A in one turn again. However, without traffic, I didn’t have to sweat this one.

Lap 3
Turn 27: A rare dice roll to get through Istanbul. I’ve got contact with Tim again and think I have a chance for 2nd. I have the better car with identical wear.
Turn 28: This is the leverage I was looking for to get the edge on Tim. If he’d gone 140 or taken the line, it would’ve been tougher to pass him. I’d like to hear his thoughts on this.
Turn 35: I figured Tim would have to push his engine to 180 for the slip next turn and ultimately a shot at 2nd. Well, I didn’t want that to happen, so I pushed too.

I think Tim had one more last ditch attempt to pass me if he’d gone 80/RL then 100/80 through K/A. It would force me to roll the dice.

Final Comments
Congrats to Fabio on a perfectly run race.
It was a lot of fun racing Tim in lap 3 for 2nd place. You’ll have your chance at revenge soon!
Chris commented to me that he really dislikes this track. To an extent, I agree. There are some critical corners (e.g. K/A and maybe Istanbul) that, if not navigated well or too trafficky, can put cars way back. There simply isn’t enough track or opportunity to make up for mistakes.

On to Japan!
Amateur

Post 23 Aug 2015, 5:39 am

Hi all! Thanks for letting me race with u'all.

It was rather irritating to try to run a car I did not set up. But it was the price for just participating in the race. But 20mph for Deceleration? I will NEVER set up any car with deceleration of 20mph (maybe a lie - but I can't foresee a track that will force me to do this).

I made one major mistake - I did not make provision for a blocked path in turn 28 in the Istanbul curve. Should have gone into the inner lane and take a roll. This cost me 2 wear AND 4 spaces, I believe. I was the 5th car at the time and, if I had dealt with the action properly, I would have been 4th position. I have no confidence that I could keep this position to the end but I think it would at least be better than my current position (10th).

I think this last 2 curves of the race will be quite critical and I await the result nervously as I enter the racing line for the 1st of these 2 curves.

I am happy with my race tho I lost 5 places since I joined.

God bless u'all in your races and in "real life".

Tim Cheong
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 23 Aug 2015, 9:47 am

This is my first full season here at Redscape, I've adapted fairly well to the change in rules that I've used for the past 35 years of playing Speed Circuit. In the old rules, being in front was key because it was so hard to pass. I've seen a couple players take it easy on the first two laps and have great finishes, so that is definitely a difference from the AH rules. (Rando is the king of using this strategy.) There were 3 turns that I think defined my race that I'll detail below.

SETUP

I was extremely happy with my build, especially when I saw that Fabio had the same build. The key for me was to get a good top speed, and manage the brakes and accelerator carefully. This left me in a good position on wear and skill points. Based on Fabio's results, I think we nailed the build.

Starting position bid

So, not only did Fabio and I build the same car, we had the same bid. I got the favorable dice roll and have the inside position on the second row, this is exactly where I wanted to be. Things were looking good!

Lap 1

Turn 1Disaster strikes on turn one! Great starting position, and I spend my 3x1 to jump the start speed, so 35 good rolls and 1 bad one, I was shocked to see a "Missed shift show up in the first turn. So instead of jumping out to a great start, I fell from 3rd to 8th in the first two turns. So now I have my work cut out for me to climb back towards the front.

Turn 3 Gained a spot in the Istanbul turn, now in 7th.

Turn 5 Passed both Mike and Brad in the Ankara corner, up to 5th. I was surprised Mike let me go by on this turn!

Turn 13 This turn was both good and bad. I spent 4 wear points to get through the Konya and Antalya corners and move into 4th. Primarily I did this to set me up for the Istanbul corner. In hindsight, I wish I had the 2 wear points later, and saving them would have hung Mike in the corner, which would have been better than letting him out. I could have rolled for over acceleration on the next turn for the same results. I consider this turn a mistake on my part.

I think I did a good job in overcoming the missed shift and went from 3rd to 8th to 4th on the first lap.

Lap 2

Turn 15 Made another pass on Istanbul Corner to move into 3rd.

Turn 17 Mike keeps the pressure on me and I have to drop 2 wear in Ankara corner. I rue the fact that I let him out of the Antalya corner!

Turn 21 and 22 I use a slipstream bonus and my top speed to pass Cody for 2nd place!

Lap 2 went extremely well, as I moved from 4th to 2nd, I'm feeling pretty good about how the race is going.

Lap 3

Turn 28 This turn was my big mistake, I made a decision to slowdown and save a wear point for the last corner. In hindsight, I really didn't need to do that, there was a better way to make the corner. This turn cost me 2nd in the race. I thought I could race Mike from and still have a good shot at 2nd, but I could not get in position to do so. I know better than to give up track position, but I was worried about making sure I finished the race at this point. Mike took advantage of this mistake pulling into second on the next turn.

Turn35 I take a shot here at catching Mike and giving him a race to the finish. This required a double roll for both acceleration and top speed and I was successful, but he recognized the possibility and rolled himself for over top speed to maintain the gap between us. Crafty move on his part!

I finished the race in third place right on Mike's bumper! Can't wait for another shot at him.

Summary

As for the car setup and bid, I think I nailed it! This race can be defined by three turns. First, the missed shift on turn 1, probably cost me a shot at racing for the win. Second, I was a little gun shy on rolling after the first roll, which caused me to spend extra wear points on turn 13. Lastly on turn 28, I should have never given up a position on the track, make a driver take it away from you. I feel like I ran a strong race and I've gotten very comfortable with the Redscape Rule set. Thanks everyone for a great race!

Looking forward to the next race in Japan!

Kudos to Mike for a well run race!