Hello all,

Until recently, I had only played Diplomacy face to face with a few friends and family. I would often see something on the news or in a movie that would briefly remind me of the game and I would think to myself how much I wished I could play some more Diplomacy.
Then I discovered Diplomacy on Facebook, which lead me to find Diplomacy at webDiplomacy.net and at Redscape. I also found all the old articles at the Diplomacy Archive. As I would read those articles, I began to romanticize the glory days of long drawn out play by mail games. How I yearned to be a part of that community, to write letters and receive zines.
Redscape was obviously the game that would come closest to those bygone days of yore, so I signed up. Well, the rapid (relatively) two day turns of webDiplomacy spoiled me. I didn’t have near the exuberance for the long game that I thought I would. To really enjoy and relish this game, I should have not been playing so many other simultaneous games. Also, getting Italy and having no idea how to run her didn’t help either.
From the start, France was very personable and engaging. He warned me of some of the long term friendships in the game, and of previous horrible backstabs perpetrated by certain players. He assured me he would be quite busy with England and Germany, and that I should focus on the inevitable Juggernaut about to blast its way across the landscape. I pretty much took this as my default stance the rest of the game. Stop the jug at all costs. France was a sweet, silver tongued talker. He coaxed me into leaving my back undefended, claiming the entire time he wanted nothing more than to stop the juggernaut as well. Of course, he stabbed, and it was revealed he had been close to Russia the entire time.
After a few back and forth niceties, I asked Turkey if he was going to be Russia’s ally, and he did not respond, so I took that as a yes.
Austria and I were amicable from the start, mostly because we both feared Russia and Turkey. We planned a first turn bump in Trieste, and from then on out we closely coordinated all our moves. I pretty much let him take the reins on making the decisions as the battles raged over his land against Russia and Turkey.
Russia and I had some playful “in character” letters going back and forth where I expressed my concerns about Turkey, but he requested we destroy Austria first, Turkey second. I didn’t buy it and stood by Austria. At this point, France was still whispering Juggernaut in my ear and asking politely if he could put a fleet in Mars. I said yes, of course.
Going back over France’s e-mails, I can now see the subtle clues that he was on Russia’s side. Suggesting I grab as much of Austria as I could before Russia could get it, well after it was apparent Turkey and Russia were allies should have been one hint.
When the inevitable stab from France came, I was stuck with my home centers getting taken and my ally Austria getting torn apart. France offered to keep me alive if I kept a unit in Naples, he said he liked it when many players survived in a draw. So, I took the easy way and lived a life of quiet in Naples. He asked me to assist with an attack once, but that didn’t go anywhere. Later, I was a little ashamed of choosing the easy pampered life over glorious death against my assailant. Oh well, next game I’ll be more valiant.

Good Game All!
Thomas