Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 01 Apr 2015, 9:18 pm

Ecuador, with its excellent connections to sources of secret information, has come into possession of the following document. We support the author's intentions:

MEMO

TO: World Leaders

RE: Nukefest

Thermonuclear weapons are not ammunition.

Nukes change the game so much. But they don’t have to, even now. Consider taking a public, or personal, pledge to do something to disincentivize the nukefest.

I have listed below some pick-and-choose annexes of a ‘use the nuke, lose the vote’ pledge (or at least, is there something here that could allow nukes to remain strategically important in the game without totally distorting the real-world connection we get in standard Diplomacy?).

I SHALL NOT VOTE FOR A NUCLEAR POWER WHO USES ITS NUKES:

A) Even once
B) Twice
C) Three times
D) Before year 3
E) Before year 4
F) Before year 5
G) Unless it nukes the USA

Perhaps you too feel my pain for the game. This might help, if not this game, maybe next.
:cry:
Adjutant

Post 08 Jun 2015, 3:00 pm

The plebes have spoken with our nukes; an NWO without nukes is not our NWO! If I go out, I want it to be in a one-shot, credit-fueled blaze of mushroom cloud-shaped pixels, ideally executed by those who I considered my closest allies :upset:

This debate comes up every game, and any restrictions placed on nukes has so far diminished the game. These restrictions, whether amount allowed fired before "GAME OVER" or limitations on what nation is allowed to nuke what other nations are inevitably either exploited or lead to a nonsensical outcome. Nukes let you do many things that can't be done in any other variant; they're counters to stalemate lines, they're counters to isolated superpowers, and above all, they're difficult to manage and obtain in the quantities required to do major game-altering damage.

Do we still have access to the EOGs from the last NWO, F&B? SuperAnt, Sendric and others had some really great commentary on this stuff that I almost think should be stickied at the top of every NWO game forum. I've barely scratched the surface here.

In the meantime, embrace an unforeseen, instantaneous, and fiery elimination as part of what brings greatness to NWO.

Also remember, Cuba is more valuable as an ally than as a crystal desert :grin:

Señor Presidente Admiral Corncob de Cuba y La Alianza Americana
Emissary

Post 08 Jun 2015, 3:26 pm

This wouldn't be the game it is without nukes. There are any number of large Dip variants out there which don't have this dynamic, but none of them are as good.

The last game was won by three players who all started the game without any nuke tech and didn't get to fire any until at least half of the available turns had elapsed. You'd think nukes would favour the big powers who can deploy them earliest, but it's amazing how often that turns out not to be the case. Fact is that in a game this size there's always going to be dozens of losers, and some of those losers will be royally shafted by nukes. That's just the way it is I'm afraid, but we should embrace it because the game would be a lot more boring otherwise. One thing that you can certainly count on is that whoever does ultimately come out of this game as part of the winning group will have played well and deserved it.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Jun 2015, 4:37 pm

Admiral Corncob wrote:
Do we still have access to the EOGs from the last NWO, F&B? SuperAnt, Sendric and others had some really great commentary on this stuff that I almost think should be stickied at the top of every NWO game forum. I've barely scratched the surface here.

Here's the last NWO game. You'll have to figure out the appropriate threads for nuke discussion: http://www.redscape.com/viewforum.php?f=80
Adjutant

Post 08 Jun 2015, 5:13 pm

Thanks SLOTerp!

SuperAnt's GM EOG: http://www.redscape.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2640

Sendric's China EOG: http://www.redscape.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=2645