Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 15 Apr 2015, 6:02 am

We've got ourselves a race as we head for the first long straightaway in lap three.

Next Deadline: Turn 28 plots due Friday, April 17 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. There have been a few favorable responses to the proposed flexible deadline/trigger turn processing for the Istanbul Park race but nobody so far has been opposed. If you have a preference, let me know.

Turn 27 Summary
John goes 100 and grabs the racing line ahead of corner 5. Rando plots 120 and pulls up inside of John. Steve goes 120 and pulls up on the line behind John. Turyko continues at 120 for free through the 80 space and pulls up to the inside before the RL. Chris takes the RL for free at 80.

Jim plots 120 through the 100 space for a wear in corner 3 and on the racing line for 2 wear in corner 4. Marshall also goes 120 and takes the 100 space in corners 2 and 3 for a total 2 wear. Giovanni does the same, ending on the 100 space in corner 3. Will goes 120 and takes the outside through corner 2 for free, ending just before corner 3 on the inside. Josh continues at 120 to finish Virage Senna and then takes the outside through corner 2. Dave recovers from his spin at 40 and heads inside.

GVM-Turn27.png
Ambassador

Post 17 Apr 2015, 8:13 am

Rando, Steve, John, and Turyko continue to jockey for position. As we approach Epingle, who will have the edge in placement and wear? Only one roll of the dice this turn, Dave successfully tests acceleration and starts lap 3.

Next Deadline: Turn 29 plots due Monday, April 20 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. Note that it is unlikely I will get to adjudication right away due to a morning appointment, so if I have all plots and the time to process the turn this weekend I will post results early. If not, looks for it a little later on Monday.

Turn 28 Summary
Rando gets the jump to take the lead in earnest. He goes 120 through the 80s for 2w and pulls to the inside. John takes the racing line at 100 and moves to the middle lane after exiting the line. Steve hits the jets and takes the racing line at 140 for 2 wear, passing John and pulling up next to Rando. Turyko also takes the line at 140 and lines up outside of John. Chris goes 120 and takes the line into corner 5 for a wear.

Jim accelerates to 140 for free (by virtue of the increasing speed limit within the corner) and grabs the line ahead of corner 5. Marshall plots 120 on the line for 2 wear and heads for the inside lane. Giovanni does the same and ends on the last space of the RL. Will plots 100 through the inside of corner 3 for free and takes the racing line in corner 4 for a wear. Josh continues at 120 and takes the outside lane for free in corner 3 and ends on the racing line ahead of corner 4. Dave tests acceleration with 1 skill applied to get to 100. He rolls a modified 6 (2+5-1) and joins everyone else on the final lap.

GVM-Turn28.png
Ambassador

Post 20 Apr 2015, 11:43 am

The leaders keep swapping places and Steve gets lucky with not one, but two dice rolls as we approach Epingle at 3 wide.

Next Deadline: Turn 30 plots due Wednesday, April 22 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC.

Turn 29 Summary
Steve plots 180 with a test of top speed, having spent all of his skill he rolls a naked 7 (4+3). He heads outside to grab the Outer Racing Line and then hits the brakes with another naked roll of 3 (2+1) just before the corner. Rando goes 160 and grabs the Inner RL next to Steve. John plots 160 and takes the slip off of Steve to go inside and make it 3-wide. Note that Steve's original speed of 180 would allow a 2-space slip but only one space was taken to avoid heading into the corner. Turyko follows at 140 and starts the inner racing line. Chris finishes corner 5 at 120.

Jim plots 140 on the racing line of corner 5 for 2 wear and lines up behind Chris. Marshall also goes 140 on the line for 2 wear. Giovanni continues at 120, dropping a wear to start corner 5. Will plots 140 and starts the line ahead of corner 5. Josh eases through corner 4 for free at 80 on the racing line. Dave plots 120 through the 100s on Virage Senna for a wear.

GVM-Turn29v2.png
Ambassador

Post 22 Apr 2015, 7:10 am

All 4 of the leaders resort to the dice in some form and everyone sees success. We've got ourselves a nailbiter as we head to the straightaway. They've spent all of their skill chips now and are down to a combined 6 wear between them. They made it through Epingle unscathed, but will the final corner claim any victims?

A side note: I'm going to implore you all to make your plots very clear, especially with regards to when to use dice. I had to make a bit more of a judgement call with regards to one of the plots than I'd have liked. So to help me and ultimately help yourselves: please be very explicit in your plots. :)

Finally, I am attaching 2 versions of the Track Map to test out what I may try to use for Istanbul Park. Let me know what you prefer: The little boxes around the track or the single box with everyone that is stationary.

Next Deadline: Turn 31 due Friday, April 24 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC.

Turn 30 Summary
John overbrakes to 80 with the dice, rolling a naked 9 (4+5) and takes the 40s for 2 wear. Rando plots 120 on the Inner Racing Line using 2 wear and his 3-skill chip. He rolls a modified 4 (3+4-3) and successfully makes it through at +60, passes John and pulls into the middle lane after finishing the line. Steve overbrakes with the dice to 120 by rolling a naked 8 (4+4) and drops 2 wear to take the outside line. He pulls up behind Rando and outside of John. Turyko plots 120 on the Inner racing line for 2 wear and a roll at the chance table with his 3-skill chip. He rolls a modified and 6 (3+6-3) and safely makes it through on the line.

Chris plots 120 and grabs the Outer RL. Jim goes 140 and grabs the Inner RL inside of Chris. Marshall plots 160 and grabs the inner line behind Jim. Giovanni continues at 120, finishing the racing line, and moves to the inside. Will drops a wear on the racing line to head through corner 5 at 120, he lines up behind Giovanni. Josh goes 120 and starts the corner 5 RL for a wear. Dave continues at 120 to finish Virage Senna and takes corner 2 through the 100 for a wear.

GVM-Turn30.png
Current Track Format

GVM-Turn30(BigBox).png
Proposed Change Track Format
Ambassador

Post 24 Apr 2015, 7:16 pm

Drivers: Apologies on the delay today. It was my last day on the job - I thought I'd have time to do a quick turn first thing in the morning but I got swept up into all of the things that come with leaving an office job. To confirm: this was planned and I start a new opportunity on Monday.

To the race: the dice have finally gone sour! John and Turyko face engine damage on top speed rolls, but will it be enough for Jim, Marshall, and Chris to catch up?

Next Deadline: Turn 32 Plots due Monday, April 27 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. Because I processed so late tonight, I'll give a 12 hour grace period and will not NPR anyone until 9pm on Monday, but I don't think we'll need it. ;-)

Turn 31 Summary
Rando turns on the jets to 160 and heads to the inside. John plots 180 and tests acceleration first, rolling a naked 9 (5+4) and succeeding. He then tests top speed but rolls a naked 11 (6+5) and suffering engine damage. He has to replot at 160 and his top speed for the rest of the race is now 140. Steve plots 160 and adds a Slip from Rando to pass John and takes the middle lane next to Rando. Turyko plots 160 and tests top speed. He also rolls an 11 (5+6) and must replot at 140. His top speed drops to 120.

Jim plots 100 on the inner line for 2 wear. Chris plots 80 on the outer line for free. Marshall follows Jim at 100 on the inner line and passes Chris. Giovanni goes 140 and grabs the outer line just before Epingle. Will plots 140 and takes the slip from Giovanni to pull just ahead on the inner line. Josh finishes corner 5 at 120, and Dave blasts through corners 3 and 4 for 1 wear and 2 wear, respectively, at 120.

GVM-Turn31.png
Ambassador

Post 27 Apr 2015, 7:31 am

You guys are looking to give us a photo finish here on Friday! 3 wide again heading into the final corner as Jim and Marshall look to the dice to help them catch up.

New job getting started today, but I had a few minutes...working remotely for a West Coast company means that orientation doesn't start until noon...

Next Deadline: Turn 33 due Wednesday, April 29 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC.

Turn 32 Summary
Rando plots 160 and then late-brakes to 140 on a naked 6 roll (4+2), grabbing the racing line. Steve follows up with 140 and heads to the inside. John maxes out at 140 but then takes the slip from Rando, heading outside to make it three-wide in front of the last corner! Turyko plots 120 and stays inside.

Jim plots 160 by first testing acceleration with 2 skill applied. He rolls a modified 6 (6+2-2) and then tests top speed with another 2 skill applied. He rolls a modified 4 (5+1-2) and heads inside after finishing the racing line. Marshal plots 160 and successfully tests acceleration, rolling a naked 8 (2+6). He pulls up behind Jim to keep things interesting. Chris maxes acceleration for the first time this race, pulling out of Epingle at 160 and pulls up behind Marshall.

Will drops his last 2 wear on the inner racing line of Epingle, heading through at 100. Giovanni plots 100 for a wear on the outer RL and heads to the middle after finishing the line. [It's a good time to remind everyone that the default lane preference if none is given is inside (or in this case, as far inside as possible) and that slip opportunities are only taken if indicated.] Josh continues at 120 and grabs the outer racing line ahead of Epingle. Dave pulls out of corner 4 at 140 and grabs the line ahead of corner 5.

GVM-Turn32.png
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 28 Apr 2015, 5:08 pm

Methinks the winner will finally become clear after this move. Let's hope not too much carnage and blood unlike the other race. <<shudders>>
Ambassador

Post 29 Apr 2015, 6:12 am

The turn you've all been waiting for... not as much carnage as some in the back were hoping for but this was one for the dice as John, Steve, Jim, and Marshall all reach for them and not everyone gets through unscathed. Next turn decides the winner! Meanwhile, the battle for 5th heats up as Chris gets our first double-slip of the race!

Note: I used the PBE Roller for the dice this time so I could be very specific in the roll documentation, that is why I don't have the individual dice results listed.

Next Deadline: Turn 34 plots due Friday, May 1 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. After T34, I'm going to start processing whenever all remaining plots are in and I have the opportunity. Very likely will auto-process the last few as Doug sometimes does since the last 4 are pretty spread out.

Turn 33 Summary
John takes the initiative, plotting 120. He spends his last wear and heads for the dice in order to take the 80 space at +40. He rolls a naked 5 for chance and makes it into the 80 space but then has to test brakes to go any further. He rolls a naked 11 and SPINS because he is out of wear. Steve overbrakes to 100 using the dice, he rolls a naked 6 and takes the 60s for his last two wear. Rando plots 100 on the Racing Line for his last wear and pulls up in the center next to Steve. Turyko goes 120, grabbing the racing line for his last 2 wear and passes John.

Jim plots 160 and tests his top speed with 1 skill applied, he rolls a modified 6 and grabs the racing line. [Note: Jim's plot noted 2 skill for top speed, but he only has a single 1-skill chip left, plus his 3-skill and I had instructions not to use that.] Marshall plots 180 and tests his top speed with 2 skill applied. He rolls a modified 4 and pulls up inside of Jim. Chris plots 160 with a slip; because Marshall went 180 he gets two and pulls up outside of Jim.

Will goes 160 and heads inside. Giovanni maxes acceleration and goes 140. Josh drops to 80 and takes the outside racing line through Epingle for free. Dave drops 2 wear on corner 5 to go 140.

GVM-Turn33.png
Ambassador

Post 01 May 2015, 7:02 am

Congrats to Steve for hanging on for the win! Rando and Turyko also cross the finish at 2nd and 3rd this turn. A lot of dice rolling this turn and they were not very friendly as both Jim and Chris end up spinning in the final corner.

As with last turn, I used the PBE roller to document for myself, happy to forward rolls if you'd like them. The individual dice results are not noted, however.

As you cross the finish, I'll encourage you to post in the forum any post-race analysis you want. I may chip in as well.

Next Deadline: Turn 35 plots are due Monday, May 4 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. However, if I have all remaining driver plots and time to process early, I will do so.

Turn 34 Summary
Steve plots 120 and crosses the finish, but late brakes to 100 to avoid a chance roll. He rolls a naked 7 for success. Rando plots 100 to cross the finish right after Steve. Turyko continues at 120 and crosses the finish to claim third.

John recovers from his spin at 60 and heads outside to block the last space on the racing line. Jim plots 140, but with the racing line blocked, he late brakes to 120 with a naked roll of 8 and takes the 60s with 2 wear and a chance roll with his 3-skill chip applied. He rolls a modified 7 and SPINS in the first space of the corner. Marshall plots 120 but then late brakes to 100 for a wear, and goes through the 80 space and 60 space to get past Jim, he pulls up even with John to the inside. Chris overbrakes to 100 using a brakes test with 2 skill applied. He rolls a modified 7 and heads to the 80 space and uses his last skill point on the chance roll. He rolls another modified 7 and SPINS.

Will goes 140 and grabs the racing line for the final corner. Giovanni also plots 140 and stays to the inside. Josh plots 140 and tests acceleration with 1 skill applied and rolls a modified 10. He is forced to replot at 120 and suffers engine damage, -20 to the acceleration stat. Dave goes 140 and starts the outer racing line ahead of Epingle.

GVM-Turn34.png
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 May 2015, 4:55 pm

Hey Steve, congratulations! I guess that get front and get gone strategy worked for you.

As for my post race, who could have devined that a "driver" would purposely block the racing line recovering from a spin when it gained him absolutely nothing? Apparently one other "driver" did. But what happened happened and I go from a legitimate shot at 4th to 8th just that quick. So now it's on to Istanbul and whatever happens..........happens.
Jr. Amateur

Post 01 May 2015, 11:56 pm

JimOrlando wrote:Hey Steve, congratulations! I guess that get front and get gone strategy worked for you.

Thanks, and yes, it seems to have worked this time. More comments in my post-race analysis.

JimOrlando wrote:As for my post race, who could have devined that a "driver" would purposely block the racing line recovering from a spin when it gained him absolutely nothing?

I'm sorry to inform you that I would have done it in a heartbeat. :angel:

JimOrlando wrote:So now it's on to Istanbul and whatever happens..........happens.

Yessir.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 May 2015, 5:01 am

's OK. Now I know da rules. Just didn't think this was a wargame. On we go!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 May 2015, 5:42 am

Regards blocking lines: It is an acceptable practice and you may even see more of it in the upcoming grand prix. In the league races, every finishing position has value in the total standings so, yeah, you'll see fights for 5th place. You could argue that a one-off race with nothing at stake should not be treated the same and I might even agree. On the positive... a lesson learned early? By the way, the 'driver' in question is in C1 so you'll have to serve that revenge cold (I've heard it's better that way anyway).

Congratulations to Steve and his promotion to C1!

Also, I am tremendously pleased to see that everyone is returning for season 2. Repeat business is the best indicator of a job well done (ok, so there are not many other options out there).

Lastly, and speaking of a job well done, a huge thank you to Kal for running an excellent race!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 May 2015, 5:51 am

So true, better learned that lesson early in an exhibition than when it really counts. And I second the kudos to Kal. I know he put up with some stuff from me and always got it right. Good job!
Ambassador

Post 04 May 2015, 6:18 am

Two more cross the finish, two more apply the intentional line-blocking maneuver and as a result we have another spin.

Next Deadline: Turn 36 plots due Wednesday, May 6 at 9am EDT/1pm UTC. If I receive all remaining plots before the deadline, I will process the turn as soon after as I can get to it. I think after Turn 36 I'll be able to just auto-run through the end of the race.

Turn 35 Summary
Marshall crosses the finish line at 120 to take 4th place. NPR from John, under the rules he accelerates to 80 and crosses the finish line to the outside. Chris recovers from his spin at 60 and heads for the last space on the racing line. Jim recovers at 40 and pulls up behind Chris, also blocking the line.

Will goes 80, but with the line blocked heads outside through the 80 space. He heads into the 60 and is forced to roll. He rolls a naked 9 and SPINS, further blocking the line. Giovanni grabs the racing line at 100 for a wear but late brakes using his 3-skill chip (no roll required). He is still on the line and can use it next turn if it is not blocked.

Josh goes 140 and heads for the middle lane. Dave slows to 100 and takes the outer racing line for Epingle for a wear.

GVM-Turn35.png