Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 15 Dec 2014, 8:18 pm

Hey All - As Mike has already been recruiting for a month, I figured I should check in and confirm that yes, I'm here, and yes we're on!

The plan is still to start in Late January, I'll be setting the deadlines soon, but I'm going to try to follow the same pattern (M/W/F) as the Grand Prix, but the deadline time will be 8am Eastern. Thanks for joining, those of you who have signed up!

Current Drivers (Car Color):
Turyko (Black)
Dave B
Chris H (Gray)
Marshall C
Urzi G
Jim O (Dark Blue)
Josh S (Light Green)
Randy "Rando" N (Yellow)
John W (Purple)
Will S (Light Blue)
Steve M (Dark Green?)

What I need from you between now and then, is a car color preference. It will be first come, first served. The options are below:
SpeedCircuitCars.png

We can accommodate up to 2 more drivers, so anyone reading and interested, please comment here or email me at kalvin(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com.

Track below:
Montreal.png
Amateur

Post 04 Jan 2015, 6:44 pm

I'd like to join if there is still a vacancy. Dark Green.
Ambassador

Post 10 Jan 2015, 7:22 am

meng wrote:I'd like to join if there is still a vacancy. Dark Green.

Hey There - are you Steve who I have an email from? If not, please email me at kalvin(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com to confirm.

Thanks!
Ambassador

Post 12 Jan 2015, 2:26 pm

Just provided this update via email to the driver list. Meng - please email me ASAP if you would like to play.
------------------------------------------------------
Hello Everyone,

It's now well into January, and time to get the schedule for the Montreal race solidified.

Right now we have 12 drivers with expressed interest, with 1-2 backup options.

Current Driver Roster:
Turkyo S (Black)
Dave B*
Chris H (Gray)
Marshall C*
Urzi G*
Jim O (Dark Blue)
Josh S (Bright Green)
Rando (Yellow)
John W (Purple)
Will S (Light Blue)
Steve M*
Meng* (Dark Green, redscape username - I do not have an email address so I will need to get that or he will not have this slot and Dark Green will be an available car color)

*denotes that I need a confirmation and car color preference. Remaining Colors available: Orange, Pink, Red, Brown.

Confirmation Deadline: Because the number of drivers can affect car build decisions, I am going to freeze the race participants on Friday, January 16 at 8:00am Eastern (US) Standard Time, that is 1:00pm UTC. Any drivers I do not have confirmation from at that time, I will drop from the roster. I do have 2 possible reserve players that I will reach out to if it comes to that.

Upcoming Deadlines (8am EST/1pm UTC):
Friday, January 23: Car Builds due
Friday, January 30: Bids due
Friday, Feburary 4: Turn 1 Plots due

After that, we will aim to follow the same Monday-Wednesday-Friday schedule as the Redscape GP that Mike runs, with the only difference being the deadline will be 8am instead of Noon, Eastern US Time.

As a reminder, our Redscape forum is located here: viewforum.php?f=100
It is pretty sparse at the moment but I will be filling it out a bit more over the next couple weeks as we get closer to the deadlines. We'll follow the same rule set as the Redscape GP, so the few of you pulling double-duty shouldn't have any problems adapting.

Email Subject Request: For any game emails, please use 'GVM' or 'Montreal' in your email subject so that I can identify them quickly as game-related (filters are fun!). I will be using 'GVM' going forward.

Thanks for joining!
Kal
Ambassador

Post 14 Jan 2015, 10:04 am

Hey all - time for an update. I have now heard from every driver either in Late December or Early January, so we're set with a full, 12-driver race.

Current Driver Roster:
Turkyo S (Black)
Dave B (Orange)
Chris H (Gray)
Marshall C (Red)
Urzi G (Pink)
Jim O (Dark Blue)
Josh S (Bright Green)
Rando (Yellow)
John W (Purple)
Will S (Light Blue)
Steve M (Brown)
Meng T (Dark Green)

Rules Clarification: The official rules thread on Redscape is here: viewtopic.php?f=90&t=2587
It provides links to the Original Avalon Hill rules as well as the Redscape Grand Prix Rules. Some of you are familiar with Doug Schulz's PBEM Circuits, and our Redscape rules are based on his rules. The only difference at the current time has to do with Default Plots and Options if there is no plot received or if the plots are not clear:

NPR’s (No Plot Received)
If a driver misses a deadline, the RM will plot the car based on the following rules:
-Speed will increase by a maximum of 20 mph based on the track ahead. This is subject to the car being able to safely decelerate to a safe speed in the event a corner is coming up in the following turn. Safe deceleration is assumed to be 20 mph regardless of what the actual car's deceleration is.
-The RM plot will NOT consider what actually happens on the track. For example, if rule #1 dictates a speed of 100 mph and the track is blocked five spaces ahead after other cars have moved, the car will still plot 100 and be forced to emergency brake to 80 mph.
-Corners will be traversed at the greatest available speed. The racing line will never be used.
-Lane preference will be outside.
-Use of wear points will be avoided if possible but will be used when the alternative is a dice roll.
-Skill points will never be applied to dice rolls.
-No slipstreaming. No passing. No blocking.
Three NPR’s in a race may be subject to removal from the race.

Where this will get you if you're submitting a plot is that you must specify that you want to take a slipstream and/or a Racing Line. If you do not submit a plot, or do not specify, the RM will not use the RL or take a slipstream.

Next Deadline: Car Builds are due Friday, January 23 at 8am EST/1pm UTC.

Finally - Mike announced last week that we should have enough drivers for a second circuit later this year. The winner of this race, if he is not already part of the Redscape GP, will be able to join the first circuit, and any other interested drivers will be invited to join the second circuit.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Jan 2015, 12:56 pm

I'm going to chime in here before you guys get all caught up in your race.

Comment #1 on Redscape rules: These originated from Doug Schulz's rules but they differ in a few key ways. Kal already mentioned a some but there is one very important thing to know, especially if you are coming from Doug's circuit. If things don't go the way you want them to in your plot, the RM will absolutely NOT take the initiative to give your car the 2nd best option. It is incumbent upon you to anticipate what might happen on the track and provide conditional orders in the event things go awry. It is also incumbent upon the driver to ask for slips, to be put into position to slip next turn, to use racing lines, and to request emergency braking before entering a corner. The intent is to take subjectivity out of the RM's hand - we are not a 'nanny state'!

Comment #2 on Redscape rules: Other than the strong belief I have about the above, I am open to changing rules. For example, there is a new discussion on changing the build table for the upcoming league play (this would not affect the Montreal race). I encourage all of you to give input on these more technical issues as Kal and I have limited experience in the game itself. Please comment in the Pit Row area of our forums if you wish to contribute. We're not experts in the technical aspects of the game but we are experts in conducting PBEM games (thus our firmness regards the first comment).

Happy driving!

Mike

p.s. Also, don't forget South Dakota's most compelling advice...
Jerk.png